Root Nexus 6

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6, Moto X Pure Edition, 2013 Moto X DE, Droid Razr Maxx HD, 2013 Nexus 7 LTE, LG G Pad X 8.3

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:21 PM

Any one else here updated their Nexus 6 to MMB29S and noticed that there is more room in the system partition?  I went from just under 4 MB to just over 15 MB. Not a lot of improvement but it is a bit more breathing room LOL. Flashed the factory image and rooted it with SuperSU 2.6.6 systemless zip and then renamed the /su/xbin_bind folder so that Android Pay works. All the other apps that require root that I use still gets root access.  It even passes  Google's tamper test :D. Great thing is you can use the SuperSU app to un-root take an OTA and reflash the zip to re-root the phone.  Don't have to flash system and boot images any more to un-root.  There are some things that have to be watched and complete instructions are on Chainfire's SuperSU forum on XDA.

http://forum.xda-dev...om/apps/supersu

• perfoliate, johnlgalt, matjmonk and 2 others like this

#2 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:12 AM

Guess I'll be doing this today :p

• spainter likes this

#3 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:48 PM

What is the difference between S and Q?

#4 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6, Moto X Pure Edition, 2013 Moto X DE, Droid Razr Maxx HD, 2013 Nexus 7 LTE, LG G Pad X 8.3

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:26 PM

What is the difference between S and Q?

Several security problems fixed. No enhancements or non security fixes this go around.  Q is the February security update even though the lettering is out of sequence. Also look at this: http://www.droidrzr....e-9#entry529482

• johnlgalt likes this

#5 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:40 PM

OK, so I need to unroot my current method, then go systemless root, and then I can use FlashFire to take the OTAs?

Or should I just go ahead and use HoN to flash to the Q update and then flash systemless there, just in case I have "issues"?

Also, no modified kernel needed for systemless, so I can flash the entire Q package, then TWRP, and load TWRP on the phone and flash the systemless SU?

#6 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:58 PM

Why mess with ota's unless you don't have a computer? If you are not on the most current, just flash that then go systemless is what I would do. I personally don't flash twrp any more. If I need to use it I just fastboot boot it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• johnlgalt and spainter like this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#7 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:00 PM

OK, so I need to unroot my current method, then go systemless root, and then I can use FlashFire to take the OTAs?

Or should I just go ahead and use HoN to flash to the Q update and then flash systemless there, just in case I have "issues"?

Also, no modified kernel needed for systemless, so I can flash the entire Q package, then TWRP, and load TWRP on the phone and flash the systemless SU?

I would use HON take the full update then flash systemless 2.67.  Just as you said starting with the second line of your post.  There may be bugs in FlashFire from what I was just reading

• johnlgalt likes this

#8 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:01 PM

What Kaos said LOL. Nijaed.

#9 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:05 PM

OK, so to go systemless, I just needed to grab the 2.67 ßeta from chainfire's post, pot it on my phone, then use HoN to flash the Q, TWRP, then not into TWRP and flash the 2.67 which should automatically make me systemless, correct?

Looking in SuperSU now, I have the option to make the su binary a system app, so that should mean it is systemless, correct?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#10 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:06 PM

Why mess with ota's unless you don't have a computer? If you are not on the most current, just flash that then go systemless is what I would do. I personally don't flash twrp any more. If I need to use it I just fastboot boot it.

Testing, my man, testing.

And I saw something about that, fastboot boot to load TWRP, but I am behind the times, so I guess that just means to install the full package, go into SuperSU and just enable it after flashing (flashing being without data wipe, of course)?

#11 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:09 PM

FlashFire seems to be hiccuping on the OTA for the 6p. Showing it updated but not applying the update.

I was hoping that a fix for the doze bug would be included in this update to 6.0.1

• johnlgalt likes this

#12 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:13 PM

OK, so to go systemless, I just needed to grab the 2.67 ßeta from chainfire's post, pot it on my phone, then use HoN to flash the Q, TWRP, then not into TWRP and flash the 2.67 which should automatically make me systemless, correct?

Looking in SuperSU now, I have the option to make the su binary a system app, so that should mean it is systemless, correct?

yes to both

Testing, my man, testing. And I saw something about that, fastboot boot to load TWRP, but I am behind the times, so I guess that just means to install the full package, go into SuperSU and just enable it after flashing (flashing being without data wipe, of course)? Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

to boot TWRP with out flashing it: fastboot boot (twrp image name)

you will still have the stock recovery.  I use this instead of flashing twrp.  One big note Don't let twrp install root for you.  Decline the auto root if it offers it to you.

• johnlgalt likes this

#13 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:17 PM

I am on the old Nexus 6, not the 6P, so I thought that would to affect me.  But time to do it the old fashioned way lol.

• spainter likes this

#14 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:40 AM

Wait, don't move SuperSU into system. That would defeat the point of systemless root.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#15 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:01 PM

Wait, don't move SuperSU into system. That would defeat the point of systemless root.

You think? :p

I mentioned it saying that since that option is (now was) enabled in SuperSU, that means it was already systemless at that point.

• spainter likes this

#16 kellym

kellym

Droid Oracle

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts
  • Google+:kellym
  • LocationNY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel XL

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:05 AM

yes to both

to boot TWRP with out flashing it: fastboot boot (twrp image name)
you will still have the stock recovery. I use this instead of flashing twrp. One big note Don't let twrp install root for you. Decline the auto root if it offers it to you.

Is this why I had trouble yesterday with SuperSU? The first time I installed 2.67 through TWRP (which I still flash, how else would I make a backup?), rootchecker said no dice. Tried to update binary, which I'm sure I did improperly, flashed a second time through TWRP, then root was achieved. I've not and to flash twice before for root to take.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

#17 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:37 AM

Is this why I had trouble yesterday with SuperSU? The first time I installed 2.67 through TWRP (which I still flash, how else would I make a backup?), rootchecker said no dice. Tried to update binary, which I'm sure I did improperly, flashed a second time through TWRP, then root was achieved. I've not and to flash twice before for root to take.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Booting twrp each time works just like it being flashed.  The only difference is you have to hook the phone to the computer and use the fastboot command instead of booting to the flashed twrp recovery. By leaving the stock recovery alone you eliminate the possibility of problems with successfully taking an OTA. This may be a mute point when flashfire gets new functions added.  One of the next items to be added is OTG to flashfire which will also give the built in backup the ability to be saved to a flash drive.

• johnlgalt and kellym like this

#18 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:39 AM

TWRP updated for Shamu Official 3.0.0-1: https://dl.twrp.me/s...-shamu.img.html

#19 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 18 February 2016 - 12:06 PM

Yay!  About time!  lol

I'm trying to get a NIB Shamu for $300.  I realize that the car I want is a bit more than I thought and something has to be sacrificed - so out goes the 6P.

#20 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:22 AM

OK, off to search for systemless while I flash my New N6 to the Q build.  Then off to the VZW store to get a sim and activate it :)

Edited by johnlgalt, 24 February 2016 - 10:22 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Root, Nexus 6

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users