#1 thecameraman

thecameraman

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

So I'm currently running OTA JB rooted and am considering enabling encryption. Was just wondering if this will have any effect on my ability to flash ROMs via Safestrap in the future.

Will this only encrypt the stock system, or does it get deeper into the device? If I flash back to ICS, say, using the 1.10 Utility, will my device still be encrypted or is it a truly blank slate? Will I still be able to re-root if necessary? I feel like root shouldn't be affected but I wanted to check and be sure.

#2 Guest_Xplorer4x4_*

Guest_Xplorer4x4_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

So I'm currently running OTA JB rooted and am considering enabling encryption. Was just wondering if this will have any effect on my ability to flash ROMs via Safestrap in the future.

Will this only encrypt the stock system, or does it get deeper into the device? If I flash back to ICS, say, using the 1.10 Utility, will my device still be encrypted or is it a truly blank slate? Will I still be able to re-root if necessary? I feel like root shouldn't be affected but I wanted to check and be sure.

I can't say for sure if it will affect your ability to flash ROMs, but I see no reason it would.

I am not sure what encryption you are referring to so I have no idea I'd data from other ROMs will be encrypted.

The utility is just that, a utility. Think of it as a GUI for a command line application.

If you use the utility to fastboot back to ICS your device will not be encrypted. It will also wipe the internal SD card.

Yes you can reroot ICS and use ota root keeper to backup root and roof jb.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

#3 thecameraman

thecameraman

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

I can't say for sure if it will affect your ability to flash ROMs, but I see no reason it would.

I am not sure what encryption you are referring to so I have no idea I'd data from other ROMs will be encrypted.

The utility is just that, a utility. Think of it as a GUI for a command line application.

If you use the utility to fastboot back to ICS your device will not be encrypted. It will also wipe the internal SD card.

Yes you can reroot ICS and use ota root keeper to backup root and roof jb.

I'm talking about the built in encryption on the stock ROM. It's an option in Settings under Security. It says "Encrypt Phone" and also offers the option of encrypting your SD card. Because it's an option inside Jellybean I feel like it shouldn't do anything to other ROMs but I am just starting to learn about more serious security stuff so I wanted to check.

I understand what the utility is but I just wanted to check whether encryption would affect the ability to run that kind of script. Same with rooting. I don't think it would impact either but again, I wanted to see if someone more knowledgeable than myself knew for sure.

#4 Guest_Xplorer4x4_*

Guest_Xplorer4x4_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

I'm talking about the built in encryption on the stock ROM. It's an option in Settings under Security. It says "Encrypt Phone" and also offers the option of encrypting your SD card. Because it's an option inside Jellybean I feel like it shouldn't do anything to other ROMs but I am just starting to learn about more serious security stuff so I wanted to check.

I understand what the utility is but I just wanted to check whether encryption would affect the ability to run that kind of script. Same with rooting. I don't think it would impact either but again, I wanted to see if someone more knowledgeable than myself knew for sure.

In that case, I see the encryption as a problem as I would think only the stock Rom could decrypt the phone and external SD card. Part of the problem is I don't think any of the custom ROMs have the encryption software baked in.

#5 Kash76

Kash76

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

I will offer a heads up that I had problems when I encrypted my Rezound when trying to use a custom recovery.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

#6 thewahlrus

thewahlrus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Twitter:thewahlrus
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR Maxx HD, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, HP Touch Pad with AOKP, cracked Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

Mine was encrypted stock, when I went into safe strap it wouldn't let me create s lot or flash. Had to factory reset.
I don't know if you encrypt after you already have your slots made but encryption keeps you from enabling a slot.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

#7 wooddale

wooddale

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • Twitter:benuti1
  • LocationIl & WI
  • Current Device(s):Note 2 , Razr Maxx Hd

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

If I do a back up on this ROM can I make it go to my external card?

#8 Guest_Xplorer4x4_*

Guest_Xplorer4x4_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

If I do a back up on this ROM can I make it go to my external card?

Why not boot in to safe strap and have a look? ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users