17 replies to this topic

#1 koosking

koosking

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:27 AM

I updated my droid razr maxx hd from ICS to JB. Upon doing that, all of my apps that allowed me to tether, like foxfi, will no longer allow me to do so. Instead, I get a pop up box that motorola/vzw wants to charge me $30/month to activate the feature.

Does anyone know a work around to this problem or a possible root?

#2 knghts50

knghts50

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Google+:kevin.page3
  • LocationCopperas Cove, TX (Fort Hood)

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:01 AM

use matts hd utility go back to ics root. and then use voodoo to protect root and do the ota.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

and it is the 1.10 utility.
  • koosking likes this
Posted Image

#3 satman80

satman80

Gny. Sgt. Hartman

• Administrator
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationPluto
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD Maxx, Moto X Developer Edition

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:24 AM

Moving to Droid Razr HD General [XT926], Reason, Non-'Emergency' situation.

Signature Made & Protected by zooyork0721

Posted Image

Site Rules and Guidelines

#4 rsargent7677

rsargent7677

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:29 AM

I need help as well. This is my second Razr Maxx HD. First one automatically updated to 9.4.1 and lost my hotspot ability through FoxFi. In addition, the phone kept freezing up to the point that the last time I attempted to reboot the phone the only way it would do it was to pull both the micro sd and sim cards. Verizon exchanged the phone and the new one came out of the box with 4.0.4. I accidently hit the install 0.7.2 update and now I'm being asked to update and install 9.4.1. If I do this, I need the specific steps to root my razr maxx hd. I'd rooted my Bionic with virtually no problems. I need a step by step on what and how as well as the various links.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

#5 KaChow

KaChow

If Only...

• Superuser
  • 364 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia
  • Current Device(s):S6 (sm-g920f), Moto XT1575(waiting)

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:56 AM

I updated my droid razr maxx hd from ICS to JB. Upon doing that, all of my apps that allowed me to tether, like foxfi, will no longer allow me to do so. Instead, I get a pop up box that motorola/vzw wants to charge me $30/month to activate the feature.

Once root has been restored access this thread for

, without the $30/month activation charge.

If you like this signature click on the Marvel logo this one is from Thor: The Dark World-> copy the html link to your signature in my settings-> Enjoy!

#6 koosking

koosking

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:50 AM

I need help as well. This is my second Razr Maxx HD. First one automatically updated to 9.4.1 and lost my hotspot ability through FoxFi. In addition, the phone kept freezing up to the point that the last time I attempted to reboot the phone the only way it would do it was to pull both the micro sd and sim cards. Verizon exchanged the phone and the new one came out of the box with 4.0.4. I accidently hit the install 0.7.2 update and now I'm being asked to update and install 9.4.1. If I do this, I need the specific steps to root my razr maxx hd. I'd rooted my Bionic with virtually no problems. I need a step by step on what and how as well as the various links.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is what you need to do. I followed these steps to the 'T' and it worked like a charm. Now I am rooted and I am tethering like a champ again.

Follow this video

and get the DROID RAZR HD UTILITY 1.10 from here (3rd one down):

#7 rsargent7677

rsargent7677

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:16 AM

Here is what you need to do. I followed these steps to the 'T' and it worked like a charm. Now I am rooted and I am tethering like a champ again.

Follow this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a85FEjGPw1E

and get the DROID RAZR HD UTILITY 1.10 from here (3rd one down):

I have another question, is this root utility better than the one created by Dan Rosenberg for the Razr Maxx HD? I will view the YouTube video for instructions; however, since it's been awhile since I've done something like this I'll need some assistance backing up both my internal storage (and my micro sd card?) please.

#8 MDicnMan

MDicnMan

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMidwest USA
  • Current Device(s):Bionic, Razr Maxx HD

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:29 AM

Actually, the stock WiFi Hotspot works fine with the Entitlement edit in JB.

#9 MDicnMan

MDicnMan

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMidwest USA
  • Current Device(s):Bionic, Razr Maxx HD

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:33 AM

I have another question, is this root utility better than the one created by Dan Rosenberg for the Razr Maxx HD? I will view the YouTube video for instructions; however, since it's been awhile since I've done something like this I'll need some assistance backing up both my internal storage (and my micro sd card?) please.

Don't know if it is better, but it works flawlessly.

#10 rsargent7677

rsargent7677

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

Having a "hair-color" challenged moment here, but I'm guessing that this root for JB on Razr Maxx HD is for the OTA stock JB, 9.4.1. Does this video explain how and what I'll need to back up my system?

#11 Sam Abuelsamid

Sam Abuelsamid

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

There is a known issue with FoxFi on JB with all devices. Root and use WiFi Tether, it works like a charm

• koosking likes this

#12 koosking

koosking

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

the root utility to the link provided here

is by Dan Rosenberg. 3rd one down.

It is dan rosenbergs work plus Mattlgroff added the other things to the utility like the ota root keeper. Basically, mattlgroff did this for convenience so that you dont have to go the play store and download things here and there. Everything you need to root the DROID RAZR HD/DROID RAZR MAXX HD is packaged in the utility provided by the link listed above.

#13 koosking

koosking

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

Having a "hair-color" challenged moment here, but I'm guessing that this root for JB on Razr Maxx HD is for the OTA stock JB, 9.4.1. Does this video explain how and what I'll need to back up my system?

If you decide to root your phone and go to JB you will not lose your data on the SD Card.

Just remember to backup your text msgs. I use

Also dont forget your photos or whatsapp messages (if you use whatsapp). but back up those to the SD Card. Also the same for music and movies. if you do not want to load the stuff on ur SD card, just connect your phone to your comp and save everything on your comp.

#14 dvgb131

dvgb131

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Twitter:dvgb173
  • LocationAlbany
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:42 AM

There is a known issue with FoxFi on JB with all devices.

Can you elaborate on the issue?
I have been working with PDAnet support
Because I can tether, but can't get any downloads or attachments on my N7.
This is with BT, not wifi.
Support seems unaware of any known issue.
Does Wifi Tether have a bt mode? I can't use wifi at work.
Thanks.
Doug B.

Doug B.

#15 cAsE sEnSiTiVe

cAsE sEnSiTiVe

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:07 AM

I need help as well. This is my second Razr Maxx HD. First one automatically updated to 9.4.1 and lost my hotspot ability through FoxFi.

I was under the impression that it couldn't do that unless you accepted the update.

Am I wrong?

I'm also on FoxFi with ICS, and therefore have no interest whatsoever taking the OTA of JB.

Thanks.

#16 Sam Abuelsamid

Sam Abuelsamid

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:28 AM

Thanks.
Doug B.

I missed that you were using BT. The FoxFi description on play.google.com does have this note in the description
"Currently WiFi mode does not work on most phones with Jelly Bean (except for a few models) and most HTC phones (except for HTC One). However Bluetooth mode works for all phones. To check and see if WiFi mode can be supported on your phone visit

"

Just to clarify, while you may not be able connect your phone to the wifi network at work, are they sniffing for hotspots running? Remember that when you use hotspot the phone is connecting to the cellular network and then phone is feeding your tablet or computer by wifi. You can and should also use WPA encryption with Wifi tether so no one else can use your connection. I can't use outside/personal devices on the work wifi but wifi tethering of N7 to phone has never been an issue.

I just tried FoxFi over BT between my Razr and both my macbook pro and N7 and neither machine will connect for BT tethering to the phone. From the MBP both BT file browsing and transfer work fine. It appears that Motorola has broken something in the BT with JB that prevents tethering and it may be related to the way FoxFi is handling wifi tethering. I tried a couple of other BT tethering apps and they didn't work either. I suspect you may be SOL with BT.

#17 Sam Abuelsamid

Sam Abuelsamid

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:32 AM

Thanks.
Doug B.

One other option is to revert back to ICS if you absolutely must to do BT tethering

#18 dvgb131

dvgb131

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Twitter:dvgb173
  • LocationAlbany
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

One other option is to revert back to ICS if you absolutely must to do BT tethering

I'm considering that. Thanks for responses.

Doug B.

Doug B.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users