n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas, USA
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx HD, Droid Razr

Posted 05 October 2016 - 01:35 PM

Hello,

I have this problem with my Razor Maxx HD. all of the sudden, my home screen stopped working. Since I have no home screen, I can not access apps, files etc.

My email is working, once I get email notification, I can open it and reply, I can use internet if a link is included in the email body. So, seems like everything is working but my homescreen.

Any suggestion as how to reach settings, apps or files without home screen?

Or suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Thank you in advance.

Droid RAZR Maxx HD

Note: My screen is working fine, it is just my homescreen.

2nktq3n.jpg

05LEVY

#2 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6, Moto X Pure Edition, 2013 Moto X DE, Droid Razr Maxx HD, 2013 Nexus 7 LTE, LG G Pad X 8.3

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:12 PM

Hello,

I have this problem with my Razor Maxx HD. all of the sudden, my home screen stopped working. Since I have no home screen, I can not access apps, files etc.

My email is working, once I get email notification, I can open it and reply, I can use internet if a link is included in the email body. So, seems like everything is working but my homescreen.

Any suggestion as how to reach settings, apps or files without home screen?

Or suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Thank you in advance.

Droid RAZR Maxx HD

Note: My screen is working fine, it is just my homescreen.

If you see the boot animation when you first boot up the first thing I would try would be to boot into recovery and wipe the cache and dalvik cache. Don't do the factory reset yet. That will be the last option before doing a complete reload.

• 05LEVY likes this

#3 05LEVY

05LEVY

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 05:28 PM

If you see the boot animation when you first boot up the first thing I would try would be to boot into recovery and wipe the cache and dalvik cache. Don't do the factory reset yet. That will be the last option before doing a complete reload.

I already did both, no avail.

Need to go to settings so I can delete a couple of apps, but the only way to do it is going straight without home screen, but don't know if it is possible. So far, home screen is not working, but everything is, if I can get there.

2nktq3n.jpg

05LEVY

#4 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6, Moto X Pure Edition, 2013 Moto X DE, Droid Razr Maxx HD, 2013 Nexus 7 LTE, LG G Pad X 8.3

Posted 05 October 2016 - 06:11 PM

I already did both, no avail.

Need to go to settings so I can delete a couple of apps, but the only way to do it is going straight without home screen, but don't know if it is possible. So far, home screen is not working, but everything is, if I can get there.

The only other thing I can think of is to do a factory reset from recovery.  That will wipe all the apps and you will loose your data. I hope you have a good backup of your data. I am almost sure that your data for the home screen has been messed up. The other thing this problem could show is that you are seeing the first signs of your memory chip going bad which we have seen a lot of lately on the older Motorola phones and a factory reset or a nuke and repave could push it over the edge. 

#5 05LEVY

05LEVY

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 05:06 AM

I installed an app couple of hours before, I would like to uninstall that app, if possible before I do a factory reset.

I'm using RAMEXPANDER, if that helps. RAMEXPANDER is working as it should, it still starts automatically despite the homescreen not working.

I also tried Safe Mode, problem still exist on Safe Mode, so that means is not a downloaded app problem, right?

2nktq3n.jpg

05LEVY

#6 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 06 October 2016 - 07:57 AM

I think you are right, safe mode bypasses all third party apps. Unless it uses root to still run. If you have twrp flashed to the phone you may be able to use the file manager in twrp to find and rename the apk file for that app. Don't know what that would be called, as well as maybe finding and clearing the data for home screen.  I don't know the name for that file either off the top of my head and may be hard to find out unless you are using the stock launcher.

#7 05LEVY

05LEVY

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 08:11 AM

I was able to delete a couple of apps. Since my internet still working if I access it from an email link, I went to Play store, then I got a prompt asking how to reach Play store, I choose Play store app, my app opened, then I deleted a couple of apps from there. Problem still there.

Another question:

Can I install and temporary use a third part app as my Home screen? That might be the solution I'm looking for.

2nktq3n.jpg

05LEVY

#8 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 06 October 2016 - 08:14 AM

I was able to delete a couple of apps. Since my internet still working if I access it from an email link, I went to Play store, then I got a prompt asking how to reach Play store, I choose Play store app, my app opened, then I deleted a couple of apps from there. Problem still there.

Another question:

Can I install and temporary use a third part app as my Home screen? That might be the solution I'm looking for.

You can try that.  Push a launcher to your phone from the play store on your pc.  After it installs to your device, try pushing the home button or the recent apps, pick one, then the home button.  It should pop up a little menu asking which launcher to use.

• spainter likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Homescreen

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)