newskate9

Older Than You

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationCentral PA
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD, Razr Maxx, Nexus 7

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:30 AM

I have a small speaker attached to my notebook on my desk. I have it powered on and low so I can hear tones and audio, but not too loud I'd need to adjust.

With my X2, I could always tell when I had incoming traffic as I'd get some very faint static out of the speakers. I have very good ears, so hearing this was actual, not imagined. Even if I thought I was imagining it, along comes the MAXX. I was shocked yesterday after powering on, setting up and letting sit there on my desk. BAM - static. Lot's of it. Loud on my speakers. WTF????

BING - the MAXX notifies me of incoming mail. What? No way! So I use my notebook to send me an email. Sure enough - STATIC. LOUD.

So as one who prior questioned all the radiation stories, this behavior is a bit startling! Anyone have similar experience? Is the MAXX? Or is it 4G in general I wonder.....

Proud father of a US Marine

#2 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:16 AM

I have a small speaker attached to my notebook on my desk. I have it powered on and low so I can hear tones and audio, but not too loud I'd need to adjust.

With my X2, I could always tell when I had incoming traffic as I'd get some very faint static out of the speakers. I have very good ears, so hearing this was actual, not imagined. Even if I thought I was imagining it, along comes the MAXX. I was shocked yesterday after powering on, setting up and letting sit there on my desk. BAM - static. Lot's of it. Loud on my speakers. WTF????

BING - the MAXX notifies me of incoming mail. What? No way! So I use my notebook to send me an email. Sure enough - STATIC. LOUD.

So as one who prior questioned all the radiation stories, this behavior is a bit startling! Anyone have similar experience? Is the MAXX? Or is it 4G in general I wonder.....

I'm a biomedical engineer, which means I'm specialized specifically into understanding how things interact with the human body. I have seen no evidence that would make me believe the radiation emitted by a cell phone is any more dangerous than the general mass of waves traveling through the air that you can't avoid. Wires and leads on circuit boards act as antenna continuously absorbing energy, which is why in a system when sound quality matters you use digital signals (easier to filter the generated static due to it not matching the right shape) and heavier insulation. Speakers work on the very same principles as microphones, making it very easy to induce static into them. The human body however is not made of rigid components like those are. To be able to be absorbed the frequency must by equal to or higher than the (wave length must be short than) natural frequency of a material. As our cells are both quite small (1-10um) we need a frequency above 30THz (30*10^12) (10um wavelength) at absolute minimum. The highest allocated frequency for LTE is 2170 MHz (2170 * 10^6 = ~22 * 10^8 = .0022 * 10 ^ 12) putting it, quite literally, orders of magnitude outside the unsafe range at under 1/1000 the necessary value. The components that make up our cells are even smaller, making their natural frequencies inherently even higher and more out of range. For reference, visible light has a frequency of over 300THz (short than 1um wave length) and X-Rays are 30PHz-30EHz.

#3 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:52 PM

Anytime I plug my RAZR into my charger in my car the radio has massive static. It's not just a coincidence. If i plug my DROID charge or tablet in it does not do it. So what does this mean. My guess would be something in the frequency in the radio interface in the RAZR, not radiation.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#4 newskate9

newskate9

Older Than You

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationCentral PA
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD, Razr Maxx, Nexus 7

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:57 AM

Yeah, the radiation thing was sort of tongue in cheek. But the static thing is real. This is my first 4g, so I was thinking it had something to do with the "power" as the 3g makes a faint sound, but still makes a sound.

Oh well, no worries on frying my brain and keep the speakers on the desk turned down!

Proud father of a US Marine

#5 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:59 AM

Lol hey we all got to go sometime right? But the RAZR is the only phone I've had that has done this. O well :P

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users