#1 jpcalhoun

jpcalhoun

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationCentral PA
  • Current Device(s):Galaxy S4 Dev Edition

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:45 AM

Ok guys, got a simple question. If i have Matt's Utility and use it to install SafeStrap and other options, will the presence of ROM Tool Kit cause a potential problem. I've read tat you shouldn't use SafeStrap and BootStrap together...use one or the other. The last question is...if I have ROM Tool Kit do I also need to download ROM Manager. It's confusing. Noob question I know, sorry.

#2 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:46 AM

Why do you want either of them?

:-D :-D

#3 DroidRazrAZ

DroidRazrAZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Twitter:konellaz
  • Google+:konellaz@gmail.com
  • LocationPDX 2 PHX

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:00 AM

Quite right.

Never use bootstrap with safestrap. Always remove one or the other as specified in their OP's

As for the other two. I'm not qualified to answer that..

I don't see why there would be an issue.

Both use zergrush exploite right ?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#4 HOGRIDER

HOGRIDER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:04 AM

When I read this by DirtyDroidX, I asked about uninstalling Bootstrap Recovery in the How To Section:

ROM Toolbox Pro hands down is the best utility IMO. Now what I do is make a backup of every stock system when I first load it up . That is for a last resort, will explain later. In my research and personal use TBU does not play nice with the RAZR. I also backup all system apps in ROM toolbox. I always back them up to SD-ext. Now I no what system apps can go and what needs to stay. If your new I suggest freezing them or renaming them .bak until you no that your phone will work 100%. Now as my last resort say you fubared your phone so bad deleated stuff you dud not realize you where going to need etc etc. When you make a backup of your stock system, keep a copy on your PC or a flash drive. Now if you are in thus situation you can use appextractor from the market and restore files from a backup!

NOTE+++ when you are on a different ROM and you restore your apps and DATA, there is a good chance most of them won't work, or they will force close, or just blow your phone up

Based on the above, why wouldn't we want ROM Toolbox Pro?

;)

#5 jpcalhoun

jpcalhoun

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationCentral PA

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:15 AM

Thanks for the response. I want to be able to flash ROMs at some point. If all I need is Matt's Utility to do that that's fine. And, I want to be able to safely and quickly return to stock if need be...Matt's utility seems to provide that option when needed. I've read here that ROM Tool Box is a must for anyone who has root but I've also seen post touting ROM Manager, which seems to be a duplication of capability and apps. Does that clarify my questions?

#6 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:23 AM

Based on the above, why wouldn't we want ROM Toolbox Pro?

;)

He didn't mention ROM Toolbox. I use ROM Toolbox just about every day.

Thanks for the response. I want to be able to flash ROMs at some point. If all I need is Matt's Utility to do that that's fine. And, I want to be able to safely and quickly return to stock if need be...Matt's utility seems to provide that option when needed. I've read here that ROM Tool Box is a must for anyone who has root but I've also seen post touting ROM Manager, which seems to be a duplication of capability and apps. Does that clarify my questions?

SafeStrap or Bootstrap is what you actually use to flash ROMs, the utility doesn't have anything to do with it. It just makes the preparation for flashing a bit easier.

My recommendation is to install SafeStrap and flash ROMs that way, there are instructions for use all over the place; or you can jump into the chat and ask there.

#7 jpcalhoun

jpcalhoun

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationCentral PA

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:28 AM

He didn't mention ROM Toolbox. I use ROM Toolbox just about every day.

SafeStrap or Bootstrap is what you actually use to flash ROMs, the utility doesn't have anything to do with it. It just makes the preparation for flashing a bit easier.

My recommendation is to install SafeStrap and flash ROMs that way, there are instructions for use all over the place; or you can jump into the chat and ask there.

I've got the instruction for SafeStrap and understand them. Would you recommend keeping ROM Tool Kit?

#8 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:29 AM

No. The only other root utility you need is ROM Toolbox (Pro). It is basically every other root/ROM app bundled into one giant super-utility.

#9 jpcalhoun

jpcalhoun

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationCentral PA

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

No. The only other root utility you need is ROM Toolbox (Pro). It is basically every other root/ROM app bundled into one giant super-utility.

Opps...I meant ROM Toolbox (Pro)...thanks for your help.

#10 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

Oh I see, that's where the confusion came from; there is another app called ROM Toolkit.

Just make sure that you don't use RTb to flash ROMs, use SafeStrap.

#11 jpcalhoun

jpcalhoun

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationCentral PA

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:00 PM

Oh I see, that's where the confusion came from; there is another app called ROM Toolkit.

Yeah, a noob "thing". Can't keep all these apps and what they're used for straight.

#12 HOGRIDER

HOGRIDER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:54 PM

I also took for granted he was referring to ROM Toolbox..............

Techno: you mind elaborating on your reasons for not using ROM Toolbox Pro for flashing ROMs? I was thinking that was one of it's "primary" functions. Have to do with the Razr's locked b/l?

Thanks for your insight.......

#13 dmauldin74

dmauldin74

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:25 PM

It appears that RTb Pro can't boot into bootstrap recovery. It has other uses, but I'd flash thru whichever recovery you are using, not through RTb Pro.

#14 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:07 PM

Yeah, there is a reason RTb is mentioned here all the time but you never see it talked about being used to flash ROMs.

I don't want to give you bad info so I'm not going to tell you why, but I'm pretty sure the bootloader is a major part of it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users