Photo

Exactly How Does Init.d In Android Work?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sgore

sgore

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:08 PM

First, thanks for hosting these forums. This should probably be my second post, after my introduction.

I'm very comfortable with SysV init, Linux, and Debian (Ubuntu). I'm a former Debian developer, tester and server admin (long, long ago...) A few weeks with my new Razr (first Android phone) and I discovered that I knew more than I'd thought about my phone's internals. However, the init scripts I'm seeing in nitrogycerin33's Eclipse Razor 1.3 ROM are bizarre to me...

Foremost: Where should I make user changes that won't get clobbered or clobber important system settings? I would say put my custom scripts in /etc/init.d and link to them from /etc/rc<runlevel>.d. Does this persist across reboots? And is there an update-rc.d style manager available?

Secondary: Is there a comprehensive policy wrt FHS, init etc from Google? Is it inherited from the parent distros? Is it chaos? Is it documented?

I did search and found little of use. I've also installed Android SDK (Eclipse and Java SDK were already installed) and am poking around. Nothing useful yet, but I've not gone deeply into those resources.

Thanks in advance.

Bah, can't edit topic. "Exactly how does init.d work in Android"

Edited by Admin, 26 February 2012 - 06:24 PM.

#2 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:55 PM

If you don't get a reply, I'd try PMing DroidTh3ory. He is extremely active around here, and I believe was the first to get init.d scripts going for the RAZR as well. I understand how the work in concept, but by no means well enough to explain talk technically about them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users