Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#2 JimmyInTheROC

JimmyInTheROC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

I'm glad that Verizon finally put this in writing. I've been trying to get this message across for years across various forums, but nobody seems to get it.

A few years back the company I worked for wanted to buy a boatload of one model of Verizon phone, and have a mod made to the firmware to address a "security" concern. Through that process I found out exactly how the Verizon/Manufacturer relationship works. Verizon more or less dictates what is and isn't on the phone, the manufacturer codes and builds it, Verizon tests it, then rolls it out. Most everything we see as "locked down" or "big brother" is the result of mandates made by the carrier.

#3 JungleKing76

JungleKing76

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:07 AM

Surprised to see this just now getting attention on sites like endgadget and droid life because I remember reading this exact letter a month ago when it was posted on these forums.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk
  • PillClinton likes this

#4 shizumie

shizumie

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Google+:shizumie@gmail.com
  • LocationHortens, Ga
  • Current Device(s):DNA

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:03 AM

Yup old (BS) news. It has been argued and i think proven that unlocked bootloaders dont affect other users..... so big red your argument is crap. Anyways. Old news. Somewher on hear ther is a copy of a petition written by a lowyer for anyone to copy, insert name, flame big red. It has thia quoted info on it.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Posted Image

#5 crashercarlton

crashercarlton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:29 PM

what i don't understand is how they can allow HTC to give out unlock tools, and Razr Unlocked Dev units, and the galaxy nexus and issue that kind of statement....its like..um, we see right through this xD
  • RoyR80 likes this

#6 Raw Dodge

Raw Dodge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:44 PM

Its all BS.....the Samsung Nexus is open ....why is that OK? Besides there claims are BS....what and how will changing the kernel affect anyone else on the network negatively? Root allows over clocking, and wireless tether ....so what else does having an open boot loader do,as far as data consumption and network issues. Apparently not much or the nexus wouldn't be allowed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#7 eraursls84

eraursls84

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:34 PM

what i don't understand is how they can allow HTC to give out unlock tools, and Razr Unlocked Dev units, and the galaxy nexus and issue that kind of statement....its like..um, we see right through this xD

Do you not notice how Verizon spends a ton marketing Motorola (Locked and encrypted) phones and barely any on the other manufactures (locked, but easily unlocked). It's not that they are not allowing unencrypted devices, they just reward Motorola for the extra "security".

#8 mattfox27

mattfox27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Twitter:@Mattfox27
  • Google+:Mattfox27@gmail.com (Gtalk)
  • LocationSoCali

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:02 PM

There afraid of you messing around with it and toasting and destroying the phone then calling and saying my phone broke give me another one under warranty or under insurance for $50 bucks instead of $500 its bad a business model. If i ran VZW or any wireless carrier i would lock them too. You can do serious damage to the phone if not done properly. I know HTC supposedly makes you register to unlock but then it voids your warranty thats what i've heard not confirmed. I want unlocked bootloaders just as bad as the next guy but if you look at it from there standpoint whats to gain? More tech support calls and more damaged phones.
Don't take me too seriously, its only my opinion...

#9 JungleKing76

JungleKing76

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:29 AM

There afraid of you messing around with it and toasting and destroying the phone then calling and saying my phone broke give me another one under warranty or under insurance for $50 bucks instead of $500 its bad a business model. If i ran VZW or any wireless carrier i would lock them too. You can do serious damage to the phone if not done properly. I know HTC supposedly makes you register to unlock but then it voids your warranty thats what i've heard not confirmed. I want unlocked bootloaders just as bad as the next guy but if you look at it from there standpoint whats to gain? More tech support calls and more damaged phones.

Agreed. I don't blame Verizon at all. I just don't like there reasoning or excuses.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

#10 Armus

Armus

The Skin of Evil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

Talked with a vzw lady today (she upgraded me to the maxx) and she said their phone eval people deemed the locked bl necessary. I pushed that the nexus had it but she said they'd given their stance. From talking to a local store manager, the nexus is the most returned phone because of ics. But there are also folks who try to mod it, brick it and then try to get warranty service.

Now given how little the nexus is advertised compared to the razr, I think it's numbers. They don't want a million unlocked Razrs being returned just like they are holding off ics until it's less buggy.

It's crap but still better than at&suck.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users