johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:02 PM

Lol - while you're replying I'm playing with the app trying to figure things out.

So, I'm gonna revert to ver 2 and see if it works with that one.

#102 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:03 PM

Error handling in this thing leaves a lot to be desired. Hence the alpha status. Lol I have a list to fix in the morning. I'll get it working properly.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• johnlgalt likes this

Non potest esse nisi unus

#103 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:05 PM

No worries, dude.

I have a backup I can restore easily enough.

#104 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:05 PM

Hang on I'm going to go whack that stupid bug now or it'll piss me off all night. Lol give me a minute.

• johnlgalt likes this

#105 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:08 PM

Try that version.

• johnlgalt likes this

#106 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:11 PM

The new version I just uploaded should fix that bug at least. I didn't fix the path issue that will take some back and forth. I may write a small app to get feedback from you on so I can select which method works with your crazy file explorer.

• johnlgalt likes this

#107 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:19 PM

Ver 0.3 log:

Extracting: D:\HouseOfGoogle\IMAGES\taimen\taimen-pq2a.190205.002-factory-5bf777e4.zip
 To: D:\HouseOfGoogle\IMAGES\taimen\FACTORY\
extract: image-taimen-pq2a.190205.002.zip
extract: bootloader-taimen-tmz20o.img
extract: radio-taimen-g8998-00253-1811291732.img
Extract complete.
Starting flash...

Sending 'bootloader_b' (36356 KB)                  OKAY [  0.265s]
Writing 'bootloader_b'                             OKAY [  0.510s]
Finished. Total time: 0.785s

< waiting for any device >
rebooting into bootloader                          OKAY [  0.000s]
Finished. Total time: 0.000s

Sleep 5 seconds for reboot...

Sending 'radio_b' (60388 KB)                       OKAY [  0.440s]
Writing 'radio_b'                                  OKAY [  0.790s]
Finished. Total time: 1.230s

rebooting into bootloader                          FAILED (Write to device failed (Unknown error))
Finished. Total time: 0.000s

Sleep 5 seconds for reboot...

extracting android-info.txt (0 MB) to RAM...
--------------------------------------------       
getvar:version-bootloader FAILED (Write to device failed (Invalid argument))
fastboot: error: requirements not met!

Flash complete.  Thank you for using the House of Google!

No Exception errors.

But, whoa!  It booted the system up without asking for initial setup.

Think I might have missed the wipe again.  LMFAO!

Anyhoo, I'm also needing sleep.  Gonna restore my TWRP backup and call it a night.

Good job!

#108 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:20 PM

Oh, yeah, it is still booting Bliss - just figured that out.  lol.

#109 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:24 PM

We'll have to look at that tomorrow lol. Lots of stuff to finish up. I want this working for Monday when new images are up.

• johnlgalt likes this

#110 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:59 AM

Yeah, well, I am about to open up a whole new can of worms for ya, while I got a bit of time.

So, after all that I was doing last night, the wonky partial install where it crapped out - that was not a fan favorite.  I started getting a message that my device was corrupted (black screen, red and gray letters) which is different from the 'your device is not protected' (aka you're unlocked) which is black bg with gray and orange letters.

I ended up having to manually flash both partitions in order to get my phone working again before I could get a TWRP backup restored and not get slammed with  that stupid corrupted msg.

And, it was late, so I'm not sure, but there may be more to this - either because I have not done the OEM unlock_critical, or else because TWRP's backups leave a little to be desired.  I originally tried the full bu, and when that crapped, after figuring out how to get he phone 'uncorrupted' I then only restored Data.  Which means I was missing a few things - ringtones, some screenshtos, oh, and yeah, Root!  lol.

This is going to be a fun weekend....

#111 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 09:59 AM

Right now I'm focused on getting the OTA functionality working....which at present, it isn't.  I suspect the issue I'm having with OTA is likely impacting the ability to fastboot flash the zip image part of the factory image.  Hence this is a problem that NEEDS a solution but as of yet I don't have one.  And I've been at it for a couple hours now so that tells you how big of a problem this is to solve.

• johnlgalt likes this

#112 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 28 February 2019 - 12:13 PM

Want me to give a shot at the OTA on my Taimen?

With the TWRP backup, the only thing I really need to do it install the patched bootloader to allow Magisk root to work, which, BTW, is not breaking Paynet at all - Google Pay works quite well with Magisk.

So, I could, theoretically, install a slightly older build, say a Jan release for the Taimen, or the September 2017 release for Shamu, and then attempt to use HoG to shunt over an OTA on top of the existing factory image.

If nothing else, the log from a different device might help?

#113 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 12:30 PM

Trust me, you won't like the frustration that comes from what's happening.  No, this is 100% a coding issue that makes ZERO sense.  And it will NOT work for you in its current state.  It might leave your phone in a state you don't know how to get out of though.  LOL  So no, you don't want to play with OTA.  I'm also concerned the same issue is causing your fastboot flash to fail when doing the system partition.

• johnlgalt likes this

#114 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 28 February 2019 - 12:35 PM

Unlucky.

I'll stay tuned then.

#115 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 12:37 PM

If you want to continue testing, flashing factory images would be helpful.  But just know that it's potentially going to brick the thing because I'm not convinced it sends the full zip file to the device.  Maybe it's playing differently with fastboot but it's something I'd like to know.

• johnlgalt likes this

#116 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 01:04 PM

I've made at least MINOR progress on the issue but I need to cook so I need my phone.  Hence no more updating code for a while.  Plus it's movie night with the boy.  Might be tomorrow before I get back to the OTA code.  If, however, you find any issues with factory image code let me know and I'll attempt to fix them.  Also, I have no fix for your directory issue with your file explorer at this point in time.  I looked at the other options and none of them will work.  I'll put that on the back burner for now.  But I'm curious if fastboot is sending the whole system image zip to the device or if it quits prematurely.  I think fastboot will be ok and won't have the same issue I'm seeing with adb.  adb is being an asshole.  Like royally.  I've never seen anything like it.  But I did just manage to flash my device...just not without manually doing something on the cmd prompt in between rebooting to recovery and sideloading.  Very irritating if you ask me.  LOL

• johnlgalt likes this

#117 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 04:57 PM

So far it still doesn't work.....gotta love it.  FML

• johnlgalt likes this

#118 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:56 PM

Ok, problem found and fixed.  And it's SUPER nasty.  It absolutely f***ed up your flash last night with fastboot and completely blew up my device with OTA's.  However, I'm flashing an OTA as we speak.  I'm going to rewrite the fastboot code once my flash is done (can't update the code while it's running) and then release this one to you.  Then you can crack flash away with it and it SHOULD finally behave itself.  Tomorrow's fun is going to be to hook up the progress bar to the flashing processes.  :D  So yes, you'll visually see how much is left.  That may take some.....interesting work. But the fundamentals now work on factory and OTA images!!!  This is very exciting.  And yes, the bug was incredibly nasty.  My friend helped me debug it as he's a C# developer.  And....device flashed.  WOO HOO!

• johnlgalt likes this

#119 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 09:10 PM

Alright new version uploaded.  This is a MAJOR change.  Do yourself a favor and DELETE all previous versions as NONE of them work.  Consider this version our new baseline to go forward with.  I've obviously not tested the changes I made to the factory side of the house.  This was a major rewrite of the underlying code so there could be problems.  I expect, however, that things will go a hell of a lot smoother and those stupid errors you saw when flashing will be gone now.  One thing you should note...you won't see updates in the UI right now while it's flashing.  You're just going to have to trust that it's doing its thing.  You'll see that it says the command it's going to execute and then it'll tell you it's finished.  That's it for now.  There's complicated reasons for that which I'll address when I work on cleaning stuff up for a beta release.  In any case, flash away!

• johnlgalt likes this

#120 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 01 March 2019 - 10:11 AM

No worries, m8 - I'll get on the fecking things later today. 

I am a bit surprised, though, that the flash seemed to work the first time (second, maybe, the first was a bust) and then failed after that.  However, I understand baby steps.

In restoring my phone, and the whole wipe both slots, manually flash both slots, and then only restore /data from the TWRP backup, I inadvertently missed something.  And it took me a whole day to realize it.

In restoring that backup, although all of my apps, contacts, and accounts were loaded, and some of my storage files were loaded, the one thing it did not do was have my phone set up in Fi.  Took me almost a full day to figure out my phone wasn't actually connected to Fi - when I tried to call someone late afternoon.  And attempting to set up my Fi took a lot of work - it initially refused to work, giving me the damned spinning circle 3 times, even after 2 reboots.  It finally worked on 3rd reboot, though.  And, of course, root was gone, but that was expected because I manually flashed the factory images, and didn't flash the patched boot.img - oops!

I suppose what I should have done was manually flash each slot, then manually restored the backup the entire backup - although I probably need to go do some detailed reading on what all those different partitions are that TWP makes a backup of and which ones I really need to restore in order to get a working system again.  My guess:  probably nothing more than /system, /data and possibly one more, but I'll have to see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users