#1 dwmackay

dwmackay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:20 AM

Greetings,

I had been using SafeStrap to play with some of the ICS ROMS floating around. I had stock on the primary side and ICS on the Safe side. Something went wrong on the ICS ROMS, so I tried to restore a previous Eclipse backup to the Safe partition. Long story short, I soft bricked the phone and had to RDS and start everything all over.

When I ran into trouble last time, I recovered to stock with RSD, installed SafeStrap and fiddled a bit. I then tried to uninstall SafeStrap, but I could not get rid of it. I followed every guide I could find and ultimately ended up doing RSD again. It was the only way to get rid of SafeStrap that worked.

After the 2nd RSD stock recovery, I rerooted and used the bootstrap recovery to install Eclipse 1.3 as a production ROM. Of course now I am getting the itch to play with the ICS ROM’s again. So I would like to install SafeStrap and have yet another go at it.

I would like to use SafeStrap, but I want the ability to update both the primary and the Safe ROM’s. Updating the safe ROM seems easy, but is there some way to update the primary (unsafe) ROM using SafeStrap? I considered uninstalling SafeStrap as needed, but my last uninstall experience was not very good so I am reluctant to try that as I really, really do not feel like doing the RSD recovery again.

Sorry for the long winded question.

As always, any advice is appreciated.

Doug M.

#2 JungleKing76

JungleKing76

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:07 AM

Unfortunately that it's a safety feature built in to safe strap. I am sure there is a way for someone with some know how to modify that but for now the only option is to uninstall safestrap then install bootstrap to flash your main system. Remove boot strap , install safestrap again, etc.

Just to be sure.... when you uninstalled safestrap the first time and ran into problems, did you open the app itself and select uninstall recovery? Our did you just uninstall the app itself? If you did not do the first option, that could explain the problem you ran into.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

#3 dwmackay

dwmackay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:08 PM

Thanks for the reply. That is what I was afraid of. I have a nice set-up with Eclipse 1.3 but would like to update later if necessary.

As for my errors, it was about 3:00am but I had done an RSD recovery, both Verizon updates, then rooted, uninstalled recovery, installed safestrap. I played for a bit then decided to uninstall safestrap. I opened the app, uninstalled recovery, then uninstalled the app, rebooted and safestrap was still there. I tried to reinstall the app and uninstall recovery again, but after a reboot, it was still there. I then tried to just delete any safestrap directories I could find, but no matter what I did, safestrap was still there. So... RSD, 2 Verizon updates, root, etc... and I am back in business.

Maybe I'll try to install and uninstall safestrap without installing a safe ROM and see how that goes.

Thanks for the advice,

Doug M.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users