#1 RazrSharpJoel

RazrSharpJoel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:49 AM

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Typed from my sick ROOTED SAFE STRAPPED RAZR SHARP RAZR MAXX ROCKIN ABYSM themed out with ORANGE KRUSH with a twist of BIGDX BIONIC ORANGE ICON PACK and a SUPER LONG SIGNATURE

#2 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

I've heard of this before but still don't get the big deal; besides it being exceedingly cool.

What possible practical purpose could this fulfill? Because chipsets are still rigid you would have to have a solid bottom piece with a flexible screen, which would just make it really big.

Maybe I'm just unable to think out of the box on this one...

:-D :-D

#3 Thach

Thach

Motorola Fanboy

• Administrator
  • 2,364 posts
  • Twitter:thach2639
  • Google+:Thach26
  • LocationGrand Forks ND
  • Current Device(s):OG Droid, Droid X, Droid X2, Droid Razr, Droid Bionic, Droid Xyboard 8.2, Nexus 7

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:13 AM

I've heard of this before but still don't get the big deal; besides it being exceedingly cool.

What possible practical purpose could this fulfill? Because chipsets are still rigid you would have to have a solid bottom piece with a flexible screen, which would just make it really big.

Your not the only one. The whole concept is pretty cool. I am with you on the chip sets though. I have read about things like this last year or something like that and still cannot figure it out. To me, the big thing to take from this is that Samsung now has the patent. I am going to watch though and see where this goes.

Thach%20Admin%20device%20list.png

#4 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

For smaller devices, like a notepad for example, you could have a 1/2"x1/2"x3" cube with a small finger hole on the bottom edge. The top of the box is a hinged door. Inside the door we find a few useful ports, a stylus, and an earpiece. When we pull out on the finger hole, we draw out a 3"x8" screen. This screen works as a notepad with the stylus allowing both student and businessman alike to jot things down quickly. By tapping the top edge of the now extracted screen, we pull down a list of other features, similar to the notifications drawer in Android. The entire device then fits nicely back into your pocket, all components safely tucked away. The earpiece even charges off the phone so that you will never have to worry about low battery.

You are walking through a parking lot, and can not find your car. You then remember the 1"x1" screen you can pull from the top of your key. You look down at it, and at first see the notification that your car is locked. It also lets you know, the windows are frosted from the cold and recommends using the remote start to prepare your car before leaving the comfort of the building you are in. After moving to the next page, you find the arrow that leads you directly back to your car. The battery is charged every time the key is placed in the ignition or designated charging cup holder for wireless charging.

There are a million uses for retractable screens. We just have to see if the tech is really up to par to make it work, and how much draw it puts on a battery.

#5 RazrSharpJoel

RazrSharpJoel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

For smaller devices, like a notepad for example, you could have a 1/2"x1/2"x3" cube with a small finger hole on the bottom edge. The top of the box is a hinged door. Inside the door we find a few useful ports, a stylus, and an earpiece. When we pull out on the finger hole, we draw out a 3"x8" screen. This screen works as a notepad with the stylus allowing both student and businessman alike to jot things down quickly. By tapping the top edge of the now extracted screen, we pull down a list of other features, similar to the notifications drawer in Android. The entire device then fits nicely back into your pocket, all components safely tucked away. The earpiece even charges off the phone so that you will never have to worry about low battery.

You are walking through a parking lot, and can not find your car. You then remember the 1"x1" screen you can pull from the top of your key. You look down at it, and at first see the notification that your car is locked. It also lets you know, the windows are frosted from the cold and recommends using the remote start to prepare your car before leaving the comfort of the building you are in. After moving to the next page, you find the arrow that leads you directly back to your car. The battery is charged every time the key is placed in the ignition or designated charging cup holder for wireless charging.

There are a million uses for retractable screens. We just have to see if the tech is really up to par to make it work, and how much draw it puts on a battery.

Nicely put.

Typed from my sick ROOTED SAFE STRAPPED RAZR SHARP RAZR MAXX ROCKIN ABYSM themed out with ORANGE KRUSH with a twist of BIGDX BIONIC ORANGE ICON PACK and a SUPER LONG SIGNATURE

#6 RazrSharpJoel

RazrSharpJoel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

From the specs it seems very plausible. Razr in hand, now reduce the phone down to processor, chip and battery, make a little 3in by 1in piece of hardware, then pull it apart to reveal your 5 by 3 in retractable screen. I love the idea of having a retractable 1080 TV screen. :-)

#7 eraursls84

eraursls84

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

What I think would be amazing with this technology is not having a smaller device giving us the same size screen but a device the same size with a much larger screen. It could be a tri-fold design where the outside piece have a display on either side, so when folded you have a 4.3" screen, and when unfolded you have an 7-8" tablet.

#8 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:09 AM

What I think would be amazing with this technology is not having a smaller device giving us the same size screen but a device the same size with a much larger screen. It could be a tri-fold design where the outside piece have a display on either side, so when folded you have a 4.3" screen, and when unfolded you have an 7-8" tablet.

Sadly, this tech doesn't allow hard folds like you would want for the thinnest possible size for that. If the bend radius is small enough, and the design is done right, it is still possible though :)

#9 eraursls84

eraursls84

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:37 AM

Sadly, this tech doesn't allow hard folds like you would want for the thinnest possible size for that. If the bend radius is small enough, and the design is done right, it is still possible though :)

It won't be possible in 2013, but who knows where it will be in 5-10 years. Plus we will need to come a long way to be able to see a thin, dual sided screen. That will be needed to make this a reality, it wouldn't be practical to unfold your tablet each time you get a text or call.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users