Og Razr converted to Razr Maxx for less than $50

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

Hey everyone check it out, I just converted a OG RAZR to a RAZR Maxx for less than $50 and wanted to share my little story with you!

As you'll be able to see in the pictures, there is definitely some bulging on my phone, that is, until I put a case on it. I see all these posts about converting to a Maxx and how it costs almost $200 to do it. Well I wasn't about to pay that much lol.

Now a little about what I did. I already had the Maxx battery which I got for free. However, you can buy just the battery, with the flex cable for less than $40. All you need to buy are the following items:

WHAT DO I NEED?
Maxx Battery
Toolkit (unless you already have the tools)
Thin but sturdy case

PRICES:
Maxx Battery - $36.95
Toolkit - $4.25
Case - $7.10

LINKS TO BUY:
Maxx Battery:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Toolkit:

Case:

WHAT'S OUR TOTAL?
$36.95
$ 4.25
$ 7.10
---------
$48.30

So there you go, $48.30 to convert your OG RAZR to a MAXX. I used a different case other than the one mentioned above but the results will still be the same. I plan on posting a guide or video tutorial on how to do this sometime soon. In the meantime, here are my pics of my results.

Pictures with captions:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • cvhovey likes this

#2 buckeyestilidie

buckeyestilidie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Twitter:buckeyestilidie@yahoo.com

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

Do you have to use that case?

#3 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

Do you have to use that case?

You can use any case you want. You probably don't even need a case but I'm using one just in case.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#4 buckeyestilidie

buckeyestilidie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

Can you use the backdoor the maxx uses?

#5 robocuff

robocuff

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:36 PM

Yes, if you have one or can find one.

#6 buckeyestilidie

buckeyestilidie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

I was reading the maxx backdoor helps make it not bulge out. But I'm not sure the case will fit right.

#7 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

Can you use the backdoor the maxx uses?

I was reading the maxx backdoor helps make it not bulge out. But I'm not sure the case will fit right.

Well I didn't use a Maxx door and with the case you can't even tell the door doesn't fit.

#8 VantenKiest

VantenKiest

Guru of Insanity & Tech support

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh PA baby

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:49 AM

Gary... I would advise against this.. as the battery is a flexible little thing.. and you are technically COMPRESSING the maxx battery.. causing over heating and damage to your device.. /me slaps gary..

how long have you been running it like this and is it stable?
  • Einsteindks likes this
In my Ferocious convictions, and in-dominant belief in my own actions, it would be a great advantage to anyone's interest who lay with mine..... Vanten Kiest

#9 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:38 AM

Gary... I would advise against this.. as the battery is a flexible little thing.. and you are technically COMPRESSING the maxx battery.. causing over heating and damage to your device.. /me slaps gary..

how long have you been running it like this and is it stable?

Oh stop it lol. Been running it like this for weeks now. Perfectly fine, no overheating!

#10 Einsteindks

Einsteindks

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:42 AM

...not to mention putting undue pressure from behind on the digitizer. I did the other conversion. The extra cost is worth it. Would it make sense to shoe-horn a V8 into a stock sport-compact car without beefing up the brakes or drivetrain, and expect it to survive track day? I hope you do alright, but I wouldn't put much stock in that phone's durability. My recommendation is to get the other part/s to finish the job as best you can.

#11 VantenKiest

VantenKiest

Guru of Insanity & Tech support

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh PA baby

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:59 AM

...not to mention putting undue pressure from behind on the digitizer. I did the other conversion. The extra cost is worth it. Would it make sense to shoe-horn a V8 into a stock sport-compact car without beefing up the brakes or drivetrain, and expect it to survive track day? I hope you do alright, but I wouldn't put much stock in that phone's durability. My recommendation is to get the other part/s to finish the job as best you can.

or somewhat less risky get a good case.. and leave the back off...
In my Ferocious convictions, and in-dominant belief in my own actions, it would be a great advantage to anyone's interest who lay with mine..... Vanten Kiest

#12 buckeyestilidie

buckeyestilidie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:26 AM

So even if I use a maxx backdoor its dangerous?

#13 robocuff

robocuff

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:33 AM

No, if you use a back from a Maxx, it'll be just like a Maxx. However, it seems to me that I remember seeing pictures of one like that and there was a small opening between the front bezel and the sdcard slot. I think the cover on the sdcard is a bit larger on a Maxx than on an OG razr. It's not a big deal but something you might want to know about I suppose. A Google search will probably get you pictures of one like that. ;)

#14 robocuff

robocuff

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:39 AM

Seems maybe there's a bit more to it if you want it the same as a Maxx. I did a quick Google search and came up with

. I suppose all those extra parts aren't necessary but don't know how well the ones you have right now will fit. Perhaps if Hicks looks at this he can comment about the extra parts and how well the originals fit.

#15 Einsteindks

Einsteindks

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:52 AM

The chassis for the maxx does a better job at holding the battery in place, and provides better stiffness support, when compared to the regular chassis, IMHO.

#16 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

Lmao OK since everyone wants to comment about how this is a bad idea just trust me. The extra parts are NOT needed and it's a waste of money. The purpose of this thread is for people like me that don't have the money for the full conversion. Say what you want about my method but it works and that's all that matters. There is no strain on the battery OR digitizer. Would it make more sense to do the full conversion? Of course. Is that what this thread is for? Negative. It works and my phone is proof. There is nothing wrong with my method. If you want the full conversion, then this thread isn't for you. Want a Maxx without buying the extra crap? Then this is the thread for you.

• disturbed58 likes this

#17 Punk

Punk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

It's only $100 on

#18 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

It's only $100 on

Like I said, some people can't afford $100 but they can afford $50.

#19 Punk

Punk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

Like I said, some people can't afford $100 but they can afford $50.

How much more are you getting out off the 3300? I'm seriously considering on getting one right now lol

#20 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

How much more are you getting out off the 3300? I'm seriously considering on getting one right now lol

Compared to the OG RAZR I'm getting about double or a little more than double the battery life.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users