Photo

Should Mobile Data Disable When Connected To Wifi?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 raptir

raptir

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

I'm asking this because I've had some odd results. I came from a Droid Incredible, and whenever I connected to WiFi my 3G would turn off, I assume as a power saving feature. When I first got my Razr Maxx (Verizon), I noticed that the 3G/4G icon did not go away when I connected to WiFi, and I just assumed that they leave it on so that you can reconnect faster. However, I've recently noticed that my 3G will disable sometimes when I connect to WiFi, and I can't quite figure out under what conditions it does.

So, what is the proper behavior for the Razr? I am rooted but on stock other than that.

#2 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

By default, Android puts mobile data into sort of a sleep state while on wifi, which is a significant battery saver. On stock, the 3G/4G will be blue when active, and white while sleeping. If they are entirely disappearing, then I would expect either where you are has walls that are blocking out the mobile signal, or Smart Actions/Juice Defender/Other app is fully disabling the radio when connected to wifi which saves a bit more power than just putting it to sleep.

#3 bryan77

bryan77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

I have noticed this also. I came from a thunderbolt and the data connection would turn off completely every time wifi connected. On the razr it would stay on at all times. But, when i updated to .71, i noticed it is now turning off from time to time. I wonder if maybe some of the vz bloat is keeping the data active like the "my verizon moble" app requires a data connection and not wifi?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#4 MWFD

MWFD

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

I am experiencing this too, but only started happening the last few days. I wonder if it is an issue with Verizon's network. I've even turned 4g off and left 3G on and it still occurs when I turn on WIFI. Also, I've noticed that I know have "Automatic A" or "Automatic B" and "Home only" as an option under CDMA Roaming mode when it was previously just "Automatic" and "Home only".

#5 DroidRazrAZ

DroidRazrAZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Twitter:konellaz
  • Google+:konellaz@gmail.com
  • LocationPDX 2 PHX

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:51 AM

Yup I've also noticed this. Dumb question, but can vzw update us with out even knowing its happening?

Obviously we at least get a notice for the OTA's.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

#6 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

Sense just displays it differently. It's the same effect they just drop the icons.

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

#7 robocuff

robocuff

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:24 PM

I have the same thing happen. Came from a Droid X2 and it would always shut 3G down when I connected to wifi. Mine's kind of odd in that sometimes the 3G signal is white while I'm on wifi and at other times it's blue. Mine's on wifi right now and seeing this thread made me take a look. Connected to wifi and 3G is showing and it's blue. :huh:

I'm on Eclipse at this time so it can't be any VZW stuff causing it. I've just kind of got in the habit of turning off mobile data when I'm on wifi. Don't think about it all the time though, as evidenced by this post. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users