#1 curts2008

curts2008

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationXville, Oh
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6 LMY47Z

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

Hello all! I've been researching this rooting idea now that my Maxx is past warantee. I believe I've got the info I need using razorblade but just wanted to know what all the benefits are to this other than being able to remove all the bloatware off these phones. I'm very new to this, just wanted to know if this is true and are there definite performance benefits? Thank you!

#2 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

The developers remove much of the useless bloat, add in other tweaks and apps to get you better battery and performance. Those are the main reasons to root.

Moving to Droid Razr General [XT912] Reason Non-Emergency Situation
  • Memnoch73 likes this

#3 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

Welcome...

There are many benefits..

-Bloatware removal
-Root specific apps
-Custom Roms (this is the big one)

Will it all of a sudden act like a quad core processor phone?? No. But with the right Custom Rom you will have more features. better performance, and better battery.

My suggestion is to keep reading up. We are here to help when/if you get in a jam...

:ph34r: ninja'd damn you Cnm714. :P
  • satman80 and cmh714 like this

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#4 curts2008

curts2008

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationXville, Oh

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

Thank you both. Indeed I will keep reading. Naturally no one wants to ruin there phone so I'm extra cautious. Now the talk of Roms I have seen on these forums, but no nothing about or how to get or which ones. I'm sure that one is opinionated lol.

#5 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

As for ROM's, you are correct, its an opinion. All the custom roms do more or less the same thing, so its really about the look and feel you like.

I would recommend that you select a couple that look interesting and install them into 1GB slots using Safestrap. Once you decide what you like best, you can delete the rest, backup the one you like, recreate a new slot that is larger and then restore the backup into it to run for a daily driver.

#6 satman80

satman80

Gny. Sgt. Hartman

• Administrator
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationPluto
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD Maxx, Moto X Developer Edition

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

Thank you both. Indeed I will keep reading. Naturally no one wants to ruin there phone so I'm extra cautious. Now the talk of Roms I have seen on these forums, but no nothing about or how to get or which ones. I'm sure that one is opinionated lol.

You can root your phone also, and do nothing to it, Root only gives you keys to do what you wish, what you decide to do is up to you, root will not break your phone (it either works or it doesn't).

You could also just Root your phone, install Safe Strap, backup your stock side, and then restore your stock side, on say slot 1 (think of it as a dual boot pc) Then you can't ever worry about bricking your phone..

You can also install a rom, what you like in a rom is up to you..

Also there is nothing you can really do that we all can't help you fix.

Signature Made & Protected by zooyork0721

Posted Image

Site Rules and Guidelines

#7 curts2008

curts2008

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationXville, Oh

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

Wow looks like I have a lot if reading to do. Please excuse the rookie questions as I am trying to get on the train of thought. So by rooting I can use other Roms where as unrooted I am forced to use the stock one. So after I root I can continue to use my stock ROM? Also is this Safe strap an Ap that I get from the play store?

#8 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

Wow looks like I have a lot if reading to do. Please excuse the rookie questions as I am trying to get on the train of thought. So by rooting I can use other Roms where as unrooted I am forced to use the stock one. So after I root I can continue to use my stock ROM? Also is this Safe strap an Ap that I get from the play store?

As Satman said, you can root and stop there. That allows you to install root applications like Titanium Backup and many others which allow you to do things that you could not if you didnt have root.

Correct, if you do not root, then you are stuck with Stock ROM and no root ability.

Safestrap:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

I can assume you have a Razr or Maxx, so download the 3.11 version (or whatever is correct for your phone)

#9 curts2008

curts2008

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationXville, Oh

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

Thank you Satman. Once I learn and understand a lot of the terms used on here, I'll be more comfy. It does look like the support is phenomenal!

#10 satman80

satman80

Gny. Sgt. Hartman

• Administrator
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationPluto

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

Being new and all, best practice would be only using Titanium Backup with a backup loaded from your stock side onto say Slot1..

What I try and do, is not touch my stock side, meaning the side you are currently using, and only mess around with your restored backup or rom..

Just sayin...... :)

Posted Image

#11 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

I do what Sat does as well, I just leave stock all alone, nice and clean and then screw up my Safestrap Slots since I can recover.

#12 satman80

satman80

Gny. Sgt. Hartman

• Administrator
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationPluto

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

Thank you Satman. Once I learn and understand a lot of the terms used on here, I'll be more comfy. It does look like the support is phenomenal!

CMH and memnoch know a lot, and are also VERY good with the tools as well, there are MANY others also here also that are very knowledgeable that are always willing to lend a hand.. Welcome to Droidrzr ;) your options are endless :D I love helping too ;)
  • Memnoch73 and cmh714 like this

Posted Image

#13 curts2008

curts2008

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationXville, Oh

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

Yes I have the Razor Maxx with the OTA JB updated a cpl weeks ago.

#14 curts2008

curts2008

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationXville, Oh

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

Thank you all. You're all very helpful. I will continue to read and ask rookie questions in the future.Haha! This site kicks *as! Well done!
  • satman80 and cmh714 like this

#15 satman80

satman80

Gny. Sgt. Hartman

• Administrator
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationPluto

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

Thank you all. You're all very helpful. I will continue to read and ask rookie questions in the future.Haha! This site kicks *as! Well done!

Oh ya and um uh, the only stupid question you could ever possibly ask its the one you didn't ask ;) :D

Very Welcome, Most of all, Have fun!! :D
Satman

Posted Image

#16 curts2008

curts2008

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationXville, Oh

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:42 AM

Hi again all! Another question i had in preperation for the root. I'm not sure what to expect as far as what my phone will look like after the root. Is it like a factory reset where i loose all my apps, contacts, messages ect when the root is complete? If so, what would be the best way of backing these up before I do this? I thought i had read previously on another thread that razorblade has a backup utility included, but not sure. I know verizon has my contacts backed up, but am in the dark on all the remaining goodies that i'm concerned about. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

#17 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:47 AM

Hi again all! Another question i had in preperation for the root. I'm not sure what to expect as far as what my phone will look like after the root. Is it like a factory reset where i loose all my apps, contacts, messages ect when the root is complete? If so, what would be the best way of backing these up before I do this? I thought i had read previously on another thread that razorblade has a backup utility included, but not sure. I know verizon has my contacts backed up, but am in the dark on all the remaining goodies that i'm concerned about. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Rooting will not erase data on your phone. After you are done your phone will be in the same state as prior but just rooted and have the superuser app installed

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#18 curts2008

curts2008

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationXville, Oh

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:54 AM

Excellent! Please explain the "superuser" app and what i can expect or what it does?

#19 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:57 AM

Excellent! Please explain the "superuser" app and what i can expect or what it does?

That is the app that controls root permissions for other apps. Usually you will never need to open it but you will see a pop-up when other apps request root permissions so you can allow them access

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#20 bfederspill

bfederspill

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationRoy, Utah
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:00 AM

Don't forget about the free WiFi tether benefits when your rooted. My favorite.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users