17 replies to this topic

#1 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:54 AM

I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

When switching from the Safe back to the non-safe side I (randomly, doesn't happen every time) get an error message saying there was an error restoring /data. I have also noticed that the backing-up of the safe side goes much faster than it normally does when this error occurs.

Upon rebooting back into the safe side I get Andy asking me to setup my device, so apparently it wipes my safe side as well.

This happened to me once and I figured I had some residual data laying around somewhere, so I fastbooted back to stock via RSD and wiped my internal card. Everything seemed fine for awhile, but between then and now (1-2 months) it has happened to me 3 times. I am trying to remember but I don't think this ever happened to me before I started using 1.9. It makes me wonder if maybe there is a bug in the newest version.

Has anyone else experienced this error? Multiple times? Any ideas why or how to prevent it from happening?

Thanks guys,
Blake

:-D :-D

#2 Thach

Thach

Motorola Fanboy

• Administrator
  • 2,364 posts
  • Twitter:thach2639
  • Google+:Thach26
  • LocationGrand Forks ND
  • Current Device(s):OG Droid, Droid X, Droid X2, Droid Razr, Droid Bionic, Droid Xyboard 8.2, Nexus 7

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:58 AM

Funny you ask about this cause I was talking to DDX about this very same error the other night. I have had it happen 2 or 3 times now. The only common thing between them all that I can think of is I was running Eclipse on my safe side each time. I am NOT saying its caused by the rom though. I am still trying to figure it out.

Sent from my Droid Razr using Xparent Red Tapatalk

Thach%20Admin%20device%20list.png

#3 kl0wn

kl0wn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

Funny you ask about this cause I was talking to DDX about this very same error the other night. I have had it happen 2 or 3 times now. The only common thing between them all that I can think of is I was running Eclipse on my safe side each time. I am NOT saying its caused by the rom though. I am still trying to figure it out.

Has happened to me also. I had Eclipse on Safe side also, and some of the earlier builds of ICS by dhacker when he first started releasing to the public. One day I went to change back to Eclipse, and I just got the same error about /data. So I kept trying and it persisted for about 5 attempts. Finally just fastbooted back to 173 and then went on about my day.

I've kept my safe side completely stock except some bloat frozen, and so far I haven't had any problems switching back to it *knocks on wood*

#4 VantenKiest

VantenKiest

Guru of Insanity & Tech support

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh PA baby

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:27 PM

I have yet to run into this issue .. but thanks for bringing it to my attention.... ill start crack flashing :D and see if i can A find a fix.. B find a workaround to get you back to where you were.
In my Ferocious convictions, and in-dominant belief in my own actions, it would be a great advantage to anyone's interest who lay with mine..... Vanten Kiest

#5 _base2

_base2

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

I have yet to run into this issue .. but thanks for bringing it to my attention.... ill start crack flashing :D and see if i can A find a fix.. B find a workaround to get you back to where you were.

dude i crackflash like it's goin out of style and i haven't had this problem yet... and it's unlikely that i will since i've moved to bootstrap anyway... mainly bc of init.d
[ sent from _base2 ]

#6 _base2

_base2

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

so i'm assuming that if it happens when having eclipse on the non-safe, then that means you must've at one point had bootstrap? most likely that interference with bootstrap remnants could easily cause this issue to creep in.
[ sent from _base2 ]

#7 VantenKiest

VantenKiest

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:24 PM

so i'm assuming that if it happens when having eclipse on the non-safe, then that means you must've at one point had bootstrap? most likely that interference with bootstrap remnants could easily cause this issue to creep in.

good possibility but thats my setup.. and i havent had an issue yet with it..
I will keep going.. but i need more info :D
In my Ferocious convictions, and in-dominant belief in my own actions, it would be a great advantage to anyone's interest who lay with mine..... Vanten Kiest

#8 kl0wn

kl0wn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:04 AM

That's what I thought so I stopped doing it. But as post above me states that is how he uses it and hasn't had a problem, so I don't have a clue now.

#9 VantenKiest

VantenKiest

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:43 AM

well 13 flashes and 51 toggles later.. still no issue :D
i would try to fastboot at this point redl the safestrap and try again

#10 (TSON)

(TSON)

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:42 AM

It's happened to me twice, iirc. Ya just gotta quick toggle & clear data in stock recovery /:

#11 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:44 PM

I know Eclipse has nothing to do with it as 2 out of 3 times it happened to me I was running Axi0m on the safe side. Wiping everything now and trying again.

One thing may be having low space on internal memory, if I remember correctly 2 times it happened I had less than a gig left.

#12 Thach

Thach

Motorola Fanboy

• Administrator
  • 2,364 posts
  • Twitter:thach2639
  • Google+:Thach26
  • LocationGrand Forks ND
  • Current Device(s):OG Droid, Droid X, Droid X2, Droid Razr, Droid Bionic, Droid Xyboard 8.2, Nexus 7

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:07 PM

I know Eclipse has nothing to do with it as 2 out of 3 times it happened to me I was running Axi0m on the safe side. Wiping everything now and trying again.

One thing may be having low space on internal memory, if I remember correctly 2 times it happened I had less than a gig left.

Yea, I was just saying that to make sure that anyone reading this thread didn't think there was something wrong with Eclipse.

Sent from my Droid Razr rocking Bubble gum theme

Thach%20Admin%20device%20list.png

#13 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

Well it's not free internal space, deleted files to make over 2 gigs of free space and still got the error. Log is as follows:

Safestrap Recovery v1.09
Emmc space free: 2330MB

-- Backing up Safe System...
Backing up data...

-- Restoring Original System...
Restoring data...
Error while restoring /data!

#14 (TSON)

(TSON)

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

It's completely random. Hash said he was gonna try to recode the next safestrap version from scratch just to get rid of it.

#15 _base2

_base2

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:12 PM

Well it's not free internal space, deleted files to make over 2 gigs of free space and still got the error. Log is as follows:

Safestrap Recovery v1.09
Emmc space free: 2330MB

-- Backing up Safe System...
Backing up data...

-- Restoring Original System...
Restoring data...
Error while restoring /data!

Try to pull a logcat while replicating the issue then send it to hash. Hopefully he can find what is going on.

Just do ./adb logcat then issue ./adb reboot and it should pick up at the boot. Ignore the ./ if you're on Win obv

[ sent from _base2 ]
[ sent from _base2 ]

#16 _base2

_base2

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

It's completely random. Hash said he was gonna try to recode the next safestrap version from scratch just to get rid of it.

It might be due to bad blocks but there would be no way to easily verify that

[ sent from _base2 ]
[ sent from _base2 ]

#17 quinejh

quinejh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:01 AM

I had been running the eclipse for the last month amd its a great rom. a few days ago I thought I would try gummy spyder so I started safestrap wiped and installed gummy then emediately installed gaps without rebooting then rebooted my screen was black for about 2 hours. after messing around for quite awhile I got my phone to boot. I enabled safesystem and flashed back to eclipse and all was fine then last night I thought I would boot back into safe mode and see if any updates or whatever was ok and when I did there was the android telling me to set up my phone. i added my google act and downloaded a few apps then rebooted my safestrap upon boot is all red and wont let me enable it. hmmm my phone is still rooted and super user still installed but what can I do about safestrap and how to I get to eclipse?? very strange anyone have any ideas??

thanks

#18 got556

got556

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Twitter:@got556
  • LocationChicago

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:06 PM

When I was running Eclipse on my Bionic this happened to me every time I tried toggling back to non-safe stock rom. Never had the problem on my Razr however.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users