#1 mudvayne622

mudvayne622

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

So now that we have the bootloader exploit, is safestrap useless? if i decide to unlock my bootloader do i need to use TWRP? Ive always had motorola android phones (droid x,droid 4, razr, MaxxHD) and am obviously new to unlocked bootloaders. Where should i start and why should i unlock it? Sorry for all the questions. I think im excited about this :P
  • mudvayne622 likes this

Droid RAZR Maxx HD Unlocked/Rooted (JB Stock 4.1.2)

#2 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

No, you don't need an aftermarket recovery. Yes, you can still use SS. However, the point of unlocking is to be able to install an aftermarket recovery and freely flash custom work. TWRP and CWM are far better than stock recovery, as they have more recovery/install options and other options not included in the stock recovery. With that being said, SS works in conjunction with the stock recovery ( it did not replace it) and allowed us to run custom ROMs with our locked bootloaders. If you flash a custom recovery, it will replace the stock recovery. Personally, I ditched SS, before I installed TWRP. Some people are re-installing SS after flashing a custom recovery, so they can still dual boot.
  • shane1 likes this

R. Long: Pixel 5

#3 dragon

dragon

Puff the Magic Dragon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Twitter:foamerman
  • LocationLand of Honalee
  • Current Device(s):Unlocked RAZR MAXX HD retired Bionic, Thunderbolt and OG Droid

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:43 PM

I used SS for 2 years on my bionic. This TWRP is all brand new to me it's like the OG droid days. TWRP is like SS the only thing is you don't have slots anymore you can't dual boot. So I'm jumping in the water and going to use it

Puff the Magic Dragon

Sent from my Computer using windows 8

#4 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:17 PM

SS is based off of TWRP, but it's not a true recovery replacement. SS is an .apk, TWRP is flashed through the bootloader and completely replaces the stock recovery img. This is how the two are different. Some people have been able to keep SS after flashing TWRP, others have not.

#5 KaChow

KaChow

If Only...

• Superuser
  • 364 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia
  • Current Device(s):S6 (sm-g920f), Moto XT1575(waiting)

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:02 AM

I removed Safestrap before installing TWRP, which interesting enough the TWRP backups folder on the SD Card is the same exact as the Safestrap, which has me wondering whether or not those Safestrap backups can be used through TWRP Recovery. Also, if you decide to keep Safestrap also keep in mind, that you will also still have Android Systems Recovery as well, which like before when all we had was Root, we had 2 Recoveries 1)Safestrap & 2)Android System Recovery. Removing Safestrap and keep in mind you need to "uninstall the Recovery" inside the actual app first, then Uninstall Safestrap from your device, otherwise as most I have spoken with they have Safestrap loading up after Reboot, because they deleted the app and did not "uninstall the Recovery" first.

On another note with CWM, ClockWorkMod, I use to use this Recovery on my earlier HTC devices, which in the app store there is an app that is called

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

, now keep in mind it was just a few days ago that we gained the Unlocked Bootloader. This is app form of Recovery that works in a different way to what Safestrap was, which if you try to install the Recovery, one for our devices is not presently there, however you will also see that the Motorola Photon is there, it is just a question of time until Recovery can be flashed through the app. There is also an option to install a manual recovery and link it to the ROM Manager app, I haven't done this yet, but thought I would mention it.

If you like this signature click on the Marvel logo this one is from Thor: The Dark World-> copy the html link to your signature in my settings-> Enjoy!

#6 pcarenza

pcarenza

Team Horizon developer

• Developer
  • 342 posts
  • Twitter:pcarenza
  • Google+:pcarenza@gmail.com
  • LocationTampa Bay
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD, Nexus 7

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

Yes they can be restored through recovery but you have to have the stock kernel in place (not CM 10.1) to do it.
  • KaChow likes this

#7 mudvayne622

mudvayne622

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:31 PM

Great info everyone. Some things im not seeing though is which version of TWRP is compatbale with the HD. How will i install OTA's in the future? I know i may sound like a noob but as mentioned before this bootloader unlock is new territory for meas Im sure it is for many others. Mods, Im sure alot of people could use a good write up on what this all means for the Razr HD community. Just trying to learn the most i can.

Droid RAZR Maxx HD Unlocked/Rooted (JB Stock 4.1.2)

#8 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:19 AM

If you unlock and install a custom recovery, you will never deal with OTAs again. If you're worried about stock updates, then keep your phone stock. The point of unlocking is to allow you install custom work on your phone. Do a little bit more reading before you decide what you want to do.

How to unlock:

Bootloader Q&A:

#9 LemmyCaution

LemmyCaution

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Twitter:Lemmy_Caution

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

New to the thread, and this excellent forum AND my Razr MAXX HD... coming from a Bionic, Safestrap, CM10.1 etc. While I am impressed with the new phone, I am somewhat lost - The Bionic was totally sorted-out. I rely on it for so much. Every now and then, I had to boot to stock which is really handy when CM10.1 is misbehaving and someone at my office needs something...NOW.

I've rooted the MAXX HD w/motochopper and am ready to move ahead. I'm NOT ready to rely 100% on an experimental ROM. While I understand that CMW and TWRP are more elegant 'device level' as opposed to apk solutions, SafeStrap is for me, much more expedient in my situation.

So - is there an order to unlocking the bootloader, rooting and installing Safestrap?

TIA - (forgive me if I've missed a thread - I've been googling XT926 and Safestrap since I got the MAXX HD... )

- EDIT- I don't know how I missed the above post from RikRong. The two links should provide enlightening.

#10 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City
  • Current Device(s):x13 Dev Ed & x14 Pure Ed & Droid Turbo

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

New to the thread, and this excellent forum AND my Razr MAXX HD... coming from a Bionic, Safestrap, CM10.1 etc. While I am impressed with the new phone, I am somewhat lost - The Bionic was totally sorted-out. I rely on it for so much. Every now and then, I had to boot to stock which is really handy when CM10.1 is misbehaving and someone at my office needs something...NOW.

I've rooted the MAXX HD w/motochopper and am ready to move ahead. I'm NOT ready to rely 100% on an experimental ROM. While I understand that CMW and TWRP are more elegant 'device level' as opposed to apk solutions, SafeStrap is for me, much more expedient in my situation.

So - is there an order to unlocking the bootloader, rooting and installing Safestrap?

TIA - (forgive me if I've missed a thread - I've been googling XT926 and Safestrap since I got the MAXX HD... )

- EDIT- I don't know how I missed the above post from RikRong. The two links should provide enlightening.

To unlock you need to be rooted first tha tis a given. Once you are rooted and unlocked it is pretty much up to you on how you want to go about things. I totally understand the confusion seeing as you have used SS for a long time on the Bionic. However with that said you many want to keep in mind Hashcode is no longer going to service or update SS on the new Motos  ( Ie the M or HD ). So with him not doing that it is VERY unlikely you will see any developers making ROMs for use with SS moving forward. You are going to want to read up some more on flashing/hacking your device now with the unlock & root options we have. Its actually pretty simple to be honest, just a new learning curve is all 

#11 LemmyCaution

LemmyCaution

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Twitter:Lemmy_Caution

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:19 AM

Thanks Aixelsyd. Sorry for the late response - busy week. Now that it's the weekend - I'm thinking of reactivating my Bionic and playing around with the RAZR a little OR - living on the wild side and playing around with the RAZR while activated.

I really miss CM 10.1 on the Bionic - it has so many features that absolutely make my life easier - like the abililty to block unwanted calls without an extra app. The great status bar/pulldown etc. Most of the features that I miss are 4.2.2 features anyway.

The CM10.1 (Vanquish?) nightly here looks pretty good -

I'm sure once I use TWRP a few times, I will accept it without issue. It's just that SafeStrap seems like  a better idea. One of my thinkpads is ALWAYS dual boot - Windows and Unbuntu or Suze...I'm really comfortable with the idea of dual boot.

So - I guess I'll back up my current config w/TWRP and jump into the deep water!

Update - Last night, I flashed 'Vanquish' 10.1 nightly.

Piece of cake thanks to the hard work of those who've gone before

:-) Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users