#1 systemd0wn

systemd0wn

n00b

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Twitter:znorris

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:14 PM

I'm a new convert as of this week. I've had two iPhones, enjoyed jailbreaking them, writing scrips and simple command line apps. Got tired of the application development restrictions so here I am with an Android. I'm still trying to get over the learning curve; learning all the android terms. I've been using linux for a number of years. Don't know the first thing about java but I've been working to change that. Anyway, hopefully I'll learn something from everyone here. I tend to write guides so hopefully I'll find something undocumented or out of date that needs updating.

One quick question. I see the exciting ICS update news. Should I root before then or wait until after the update? Or perhaps I should be asking, will rooting now impact my ability to update on the 4th?

Cheers,
systemd0wn

#2 scott.fitz.fitzgerald

scott.fitz.fitzgerald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

Welcome by the way, I'm not the most senior expert here, but generally on an android update, you can use voodoo to temporarily unroot (it makes a backup of the root) then install the update and once that's finished you can re-root. I'm guessing that it will work with this update. The first time I used it was with the most recent update to 173 and it worked perfectly. You can find it in the market or using mattlgroff's razr root utility. That utility is the best thing since individually wrapped cheese slices!

Welcome to the team! (I don't own a single piece of apple merch). I wouldn't say you'd have to win the mega-millions to be an apple customer, but it doesn't hurt!

#3 gsk3rd

gsk3rd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationIn the pixels

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:56 AM

I heard the kool aid doesnt taste that good anyways. Welcome to android, where freedom is our middle name.
Moto Razr 32gb white

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users