Photo

[Solved] Bricked during restoration of data?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Geekswife1992

Geekswife1992

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:57 AM

Okay lonnng story here, but to shorten things as much as possible:

I was running stock ROM, rooted, with Bootstrappper, and several apps frozen. After hours of trying to get the OTA update for JB to manually pull from Verizon I decided to pull it down from fellow bionic owners. Again hours later I finally had stock JB and rooted using OTA rootkeeper and razorsedge.
All looked good so I added Safestrapper and added recovery.

My mistake as far as I can tell was restoring a backup I had made just before I started this process. Though I only wanted my data to restore I made the wrong choice and the recovery put system files on it too.

Is there any way to recover from this?

I am using Windows 7 32bit
I have all the correct Motorola drivers
RSDLite 5.7
And can get the phone into fast boot menu though it said flash failed at the top of the screen the last time I looked.

TYIA

#2 llawen

llawen

android tweaker

• Superuser
  • 551 posts
  • Twitter:@llawen
  • LocationGlenn hieghts, Texas
  • Current Device(s):razr maxx hd

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:30 AM

You will have to fxz back. I would install safe strap. Its easy to recover with safe strap.
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Posted Image

#3 Geekswife1992

Geekswife1992

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:51 AM

Yes, I'm sorry I did try that and it failed. Several times. It reached 6/21 steps and failed on CDT.bin

I got really blurry eyed last night so I can't be sure, but the last fail I experienced was on step 1 I believe and can't remember what it was trying to do. I can't believe I forgot to include this in my description of this situation.

#4 Geekswife1992

Geekswife1992

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:35 AM

Update:

Well, it took hours of research and a lot of trial and error, but I got my phone back up and running. I am now sporting Jelly Bean unrooted.

I used a few tricks from other threads in this forum as well as a few from xdadelevopers forum.

Basically, I had two problems. One was a low battery charge which I solved with a crazy MacGyver trick I found. And the other was Jelly Bean system files that had gotten corrupted by TWRP when I tried to restore data. (TWRP isn't like CWM apparently where you can choose to restore only data) I used moto-fastboot.exe to manually flash preinstall.img, system.img and recovery.img.

Once those files transferred over I was able to boot into recovery and manually update from the SD Card.

Motorola and Verizon frustrate the heck out of me with their locked down devices and OS, but the developer & Android community really is AWESOME!

Thank you for all of your help!  :lol:

EDIT: How does one edit the thread title to reflect [SOLVED] for this issue?

#5 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Twitter:TMYINC
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Razr M, GN2, Nexus 10

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:42 AM

Glad you got it working..sorry I was too late to help. I will get someone to mark this solved for ya.

#6 Geekswife1992

Geekswife1992

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:25 AM

Thank you. I appreciate all of the help.

#7 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

For future reference, edit your first post and you should be able to change the title as well.

Also, I think there may be a way that we can reapply the update - let me see if I can remember how we did it on my phone with .246 and figure out if it will work with .22

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users