9 replies to this topic

#1 skiboarder119

skiboarder119

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

just as the post says, since updating to Jelly Bean, verizon has blocked USB tethering.  It no longer can be done for free.  it checks for a subscription.

#2 Punk

Punk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:13 AM

Well, iirc, they aren't allowed to charge you as long as you have a capped data plan. Meaning, you can find an alternative program to do your tethering and there aint crap Verizon can do.

#3 Notc

Notc

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:20 AM

Well, iirc, they aren't allowed to charge you as long as you have a capped data plan. Meaning, you can find an alternative program to do your tethering and there aint crap Verizon can do.

That's true for share everything plans, but not necessarily old capped plans, if I understand correctly.

#4 Punk

Punk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:24 AM

That's true for share everything plans, but not necessarily old capped plans, if I understand correctly.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#5 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:10 AM

From that same article:

• You can download any tethering app you want now. Congratulations! 

, and 

are all available on Google Play, and you can tether for free all day long as long as you don't go over your data cap (unless you have a grandfathered Unlimited plan, more on that in a second.)
  • Customers with non-unlimited plans can tether for free. If you use Android's built-in tethering or a third-party tethering app like the ones we mentioned, you're in the clear—just don't go over your data cap. If you have a new "Share Everything" plan, tethering is rolled into the base price of your plan. The upside is you can use whatever app you want. The downside is you're essentially still paying for tethering in some fashion, it's just obfuscated. If you already pay for Verizon's Mobile Broadband Connect service or use Verizon's own app to tether, Verizon says the extra bandwidth their $20/mo plan offers is worth paying for, but that's up to you.
  • Current customers with grandfathered unlimited data plans still have to pay. Unfortunately, if you want to tether with your unlimited plan, you have to either upgrade your plan to one of the new, Share Everything plans (which include tethering), or pony up $20/mo for Verizon's "Mobile Broadband Connect" service. You can still 

and hope you don't get caught, but if they catch you, Verizon will either sign you up for Mobile Broadband Connect, put you on a Share Everything plan, or terminate your contract. Sorry.
  • 3G customers can tether for free, too. Even though the ruling applies to the spectrum Verizon purchased for its 4G network, 3G smartphone owners can tether for free too. Verizon doesn't want the overhead of applying one policy to 4G users and another to 3G users, so they're making it an across-the-board thing. Grab your favorite app and go!
  • This means nothing for the Verizon iPhone. Sorry iPhone users—even though Verizon's policy applies to 3G phones, all they have to do is not block tethering apps. The restriction on tethering apps in the iTunes Store is Apple's decision, not Verizon's, so until that changes, you're stuck jailbreaking and finding your own app, either through Cydia, or buying 

IOW, they won't charge you on the old capped (unlimited) plans.

#6 Notc

Notc

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

Huh, since I misunderstood that, I've tried some tethering apps in the past.  Some worked, some gave me the "call ### to subscribe to mobile hotspot" so I just assumed that all old plans couldn't use it since I've never had unlimited. But I just tried it and it worked. Neat (not that I'll ever use it anyway, but it's nice to have in case.)

#7 BleedsOandB

BleedsOandB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Twitter:BleedsOandB

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:30 AM

Huh, since I misunderstood that, I've tried some tethering apps in the past.  Some worked, some gave me the "call ### to subscribe to mobile hotspot" so I just assumed that all old plans couldn't use it since I've never had unlimited. But I just tried it and it worked. Neat (not that I'll ever use it anyway, but it's nice to have in case.)

It changed somewhat recently when verizon took heat over it. There is some provision with the FCC that they were violating by blocking it.

#8 nakedtime

nakedtime

Sauce Boss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • Current Device(s):iPhod 3gs, Droid 2, Droid Bionic

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

Lol Verizon, please terminate my contract. I'd love to switch and pay 30$/mo(T-Mobile) or 45$/mo(straight talk) for a nexus 4
  • Impact9 likes this
I'm from the internet and so can you!

#9 Impact9

Impact9

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Current Device(s):Bionic

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

No kidding. If they cancel my contract or try to switch me I'll gladly leave and get a plan with a basic phone at T-Mobile for dirt cheap then get an aircard at Millenicom for unlimited data for $70. 

#10 nakedtime

nakedtime

Sauce Boss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • Current Device(s):iPhod 3gs, Droid 2, Droid Bionic

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:39 PM

Dedicated WiFi hotspots are annoying... They're built into your phone, so I really don't understand the marketing
**edit
You should still be able to use barnacle or foxfi from the play store for those of you who haven't rooted yet
I'm from the internet and so can you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users