Droid Oracle

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts
  • Google+:kellym
  • LocationNY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel XL

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

I was able to root my Bionic, and keep root (via voodoo app) and safestrap, after receiving JB update OTA.  I'd like to freeze some of the bloatware and apps I don't use.  Which app is better, paid version, ROM toolbox or Titanium back-up?  Right now I have the free version of TBU.  I'm willing to pay for the app, but would like an app that's relatively easy to use.  I'm new to rooting and safestrap and don't want something so complicated, I won't use it.

I'm also interested in using a new launcher, have been reading up on Go, Nova and ADW. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your time.

#2 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:05 AM

I've been using TiBu for years, but I know people who swear by ROM Toolbox.  I have both, b/c I am so used to TiBu, and I have ROM Toolbox or other functionality that TiBu does not contain.

#3 shawner47

shawner47

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Twitter:@DarthShawner
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Device(s):Bionic, Nook Tablet x2, Nook Color

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

I agree with john.  I have both ROM Toolbox and TiBu and they both work great.  TiBu is probably easier for someone who isn't in to a lot of extra features though.  

For a launcher, I have been using Nova (Prime) for a while on ICS and now on JB.  I like it very much.  I also have ADW but Nova has been so good I haven't used it in a while.  GO wasn't my cup o' tea.  Just didn't like the feel of it.

#4 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

I loved LPP back in the day.  On my BIONIC I tried Nova and ADW, and while I loved Nov it was simply way too unstable for me.

I also finally realized that I didn't need to change the number of home screens, but I am absolutely addicted to the stock MotoBlur's Frequent folder setting that lists only apps that you frequently use in order of frequency.

That makes my life so much easier than having to have multiple docks for frequently used apps....

So, I've been using stock MotoBlur pretty much the whole time I've been on ICS.

#5 rocketsaucev2

rocketsaucev2

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:17 PM

Rom toolbox has worked like a charm for me. I love it

And I use nova launcher has the features I like the best.
  • neckchop likes this

#6 LDubs

LDubs

Pawn In Game of Life

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,137 posts
  • Twitter:lew_bklyn
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6P, Nexus 5, Nvidia Shield 32gb LTE, Moto X 2013 (thanks S3inks!)

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

ok I'll weigh in here... also have both Rom Toolbox and TiBu (both paid versions), have used Tibu for backups and restores exclusively for years.  Tibu also recently added a feature to create an update.zip that houses apps and data you can flash in custom recovery.  Can't get it to work on a jb rom yet but still, really cool feature.

As for launchers, I tried Go and ADW, didn't care for them.  Went back and forth for a while between Nova and Apex and settled on Apex.  I believe these two are pretty similar.  What did it for me was Apex allowed up to 6 or 7 icons in the bottom dock, which I like - couldn't figure out how or if to do this on Nova.

The price of liberty, and even of common humanity, is eternal vigilance. -- Aldous Huxley

Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.  ---Mark Twain

Thoughts become things. If you see it in your mind, you will hold it in your hand. --Bob Proctor

#7 rocketsaucev2

rocketsaucev2

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

Thur she blows (nova)

Attached Files

#8 MarkusMcNugen

MarkusMcNugen

Blurred Effectz

• Developer
  • 277 posts
  • LocationDecatur, MI
  • Current Device(s):Bionic

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

I use Rom Toolbox if I want to tweak some system settings, otherwise if Im just freezing or backing-up/restoring apps I use MyBackup Pro. MyBackup Pro has never given me problems. For a while it required a reboot after restoring apps on Jellybean, but you shouldn't have to anymore.

As for launchers, I've actually run into two new ones I love. Atom launcher which has a few really good looking themes and great functionality. The second being Buzz Launcher Beta with a highly customizable look.

#9 kellym

kellym

Droid Oracle

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts
  • Google+:kellym
  • LocationNY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel XL

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

I went with Smart Launcher.  It's simplistic, easy to use, and only has one screen as everything is intuitively configured for you under the menu button.  It's very fast and responsive with decent play store support for themes and icons.

Thanks for everyone's input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users