• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 SirEagle

SirEagle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

I have had 4 or 5 times in the past two months that my service dies completely, I think the radio gets screwed up. Anyhow the only way I've found to get it back is to do a FXZ. I believe this is being caused by my battery, anyone think that might be possible? The last three times it has happened I had the phone in my front pants pocket and was in my basement doing the exact same husehold chore. I'm thinking the battery has an issue and with it in my pocket I get in a certain position and a certain amount of pressure, a certain way, could be doing something with the voltage somehow. Sounds crazy but just wondered if anyone else has had anysimilar weirdness. Happened since going to JB and has caused me to lose root now because had to FXZ. I just switched back to my stock battery from my OEM extended that I've been using since getting my D in Oct. 2011.

Droid Bionic - JB - Rooted

#2 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:31 PM

ltns SE.  COuld it instead be that it is trying desperately to find a connection to the faint signal that your basement gets, and the phone overheats the radio just enough that it starts going stupid?

#3 SirEagle

SirEagle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

One other thing happens when it loses the signal it will reboot about every two or three minutes.

#4 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

That definitely sounds like something somewhere is overheating.  Have you ever tried removing the battery and letting is sit dead for about 10 minutes and then trying?

#5 SirEagle

SirEagle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

It never used to do it, that's part of the weirdness. I've noticed the last three times that I was dooing the exact same thing while in the basement. I can be down there doing other stuff and it's fine, that's why I was thinking that I was putting pressure a certain way on the battery and causing it to go wacko. And it won't get any service, 1g, 3g, or 4g until I do an FXZ. See if it happens again with the original battery.

#6 SirEagle

SirEagle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

Not sure if I ever let it sit for that long without messing with it.

#7 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

It never used to do it, that's part of the weirdness. I've noticed the last three times that I was dooing the exact same thing while in the basement. I can be down there doing other stuff and it's fine, that's why I was thinking that I was putting pressure a certain way on the battery and causing it to go wacko. And it won't get any service, 1g, 3g, or 4g until I do an FXZ. See if it happens again with the original battery.

Good point on it being the same activity.  Out of curiosity, would that activity have something to do with working on anything electrical / computer based?

Also, had you ever performed the same activity prior to that with the same results?

Also, have your tried performing same activity without phone in your pocket?

Not sure if I ever let it sit for that long without messing with it.

I realize that you probably don't want to go through the same hassle, and particularly if you've taken the JB update - but if you're still on ICS, would be worth a test or two.

#8 SirEagle

SirEagle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

Nothing electrical or computer related at all. And I've done the same thing all the time. Running JB now so can't go back. Signal in the basement appears to be 2 bars and upstairs is 3 bars, so that shouldn't be an issue. I'm going to do the same activity later with the regular battery and see what happens, although I don't know if I have the issue every time.

#9 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

So, the issue was caused only when using the extended battery?

Hmmm.  It could very well have been the battery then....

#10 SirEagle

SirEagle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

Find out for sure over time I guess.

#11 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:43 PM

In your pocket, was the screen facing your body, or the other way around?

#12 SirEagle

SirEagle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

Yes, screen towards body.

#13 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

Bot other times with screen towards body this never happens - whether in basement or not?

#14 SirEagle

SirEagle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

That's correct, always carry in front pants pocket and always screen towords me.

#15 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:53 PM

I'm scared to ask exactly what you were doing that would put an unusual stress on the back of the phone only in those certain conditions.  

As for signal, also realize that the signal when you are holding it up and the signal when you have it in your pocket and pressed against your body may be two entirely different things.

But, I could see how stressing the extended battery may make the phone do weird things.

Since you're on JB now I advise not putting the phone in your pocket anymore when you go down to the basement to do that thing that you do.  :p

#16 SirEagle

SirEagle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

:D :D  Don't be scared, just squatting down and cleaning two trays of cat litter :ph34r: . Not really excessive stress, just get more pressure onto phone due to squatting for a few minutes at a time. It's just odd that it seems to happen then. Also had a TPU case on the phone.

#17 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

Doubly odd then, with the case being as it is.  You could also try reversing the phone' orientation in your pocket....but again, since you're on JB, probably best to just not take it down there in your pocket in the first place.

#18 SirEagle

SirEagle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

Just an update on this issue, it's something with extended batteries(yes plural). Been running for a week now with the standard battery that came new with the phone when it was bought. Have had no issues. Ordered a new OEM Moto battery of Amazon and it came today. Shut down, pulled the stock battery, inserted the new extended battery and noticed something odd, phone started booting up as soon as extended batery was inserted, didn't have to push power buttom. Once it was up she had no service. Shut down and put standard battery in, had to push power button to boot up, once up 4g service is fine. Same thing happens with both extended batteries, phone boots as soon as battery is inserted. Maybe a JB & ICS extended battery isue????

#19 brainwash1

brainwash1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:38 AM

Have you tried getting rid of the cats?

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2
  • Platy87 and SirEagle like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users