Photo

Boot Manager For Razr, And Everything You Need To Know About It!

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 (TSON)

(TSON)

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:27 AM

is it compatible with the ics leak?

ICS leak isn't a 2nd-init ROM. It'll download onto it but that doesn't mean it'll work. (There's no reason to install while on ICS leak anyway - there's no ROMs using ICS leak's kernel/radio which boot manager can't flash since we have a locked bootloader)

#22 wulf

wulf

Themer

• Superuser
  • 929 posts
  • Twitter:@Wulf_X1
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:36 AM

Yes, I looked at it last night, and so did wulf. :)

Not a whole lot us leak users can do with it right now. But, it's a pretty awesome little tool.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

I wasnt saying it was compatible, just that it wasnt showing up in market as available to download if you were on the iCS leak. I never installed it. Like TSON said you have to be on a 2nd rom to use it :)

#23 tyrthas

tyrthas

CassDroid's Personal Stalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Twitter:@tyrthas
  • Google+:Ron Becker
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:39 AM

I wasnt saying it was compatible, just that it wasnt showing up in market as available to download if you were on the iCS leak. I never installed it. Like TSON said you have to be on a 2nd rom to use it

I know, that's what I meant haha! I should probably read what I say more often. :P

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

#24 Nickcm1820

Nickcm1820

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:24 AM

What exactly can ics leak users do? I have the app and it won't set up the phone rom ( and of course it says the warning that it won't work because it needs a gb kernel)

#25 Nickcm1820

Nickcm1820

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:44 AM

K never mind ha, is there a custom recovery compatible with the ics leak though?

#26 Nickcm1820

Nickcm1820

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:47 AM

ICS leak isn't a 2nd-init ROM. It'll download onto it but that doesn't mean it'll work. (There's no reason to install while on ICS leak anyway - there's no ROMs using ICS leak's kernel/radio which boot manager can't flash since we have a locked bootloader)

They will make roms with the leaks kernel and radio right? ( I'm new to locked boot loaders I came from a og DROID)

#27 (TSON)

(TSON)

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

Yeah I'm sure eventually but the wait might be a while, they basically have to start all over.

#28 Giblet535

Giblet535

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:50 AM

"Setting Up Phone ROM"

Ummm. How long is that supposed to take? It's been 30 minutes or so. Should I be worried? I have to be somewhere in mid-May...

I'm on 173, after deciding the ICS leak is boring.

<Rant On>
I have no idea what 2nd-init, aka 2init, means other than it's yet another seemingly meaningless term that nobody seems able to define, unique to cell phones, frequently thrown about by people who clearly have no hardware, firmware, or Linux kernel experience; the same people who "modify ROMs". Clue: a ROM is hardware, means Read-Only Memory, and you won't find one in a modern cell phone. (An Atari 2600, maybe)

Not compatible with Safestrap? But Safestrap does something, and doesn't care about 2nd init/AOSP.... What is this supposed to compete with? The Ren & Stimpy "Log" toy by Blaamo?

Huh, it still says that. Too late for a refund... Perhaps that's the plan; a droidrzr 419 as it were. Live and learn, eh?
</Rant On>
If I lived . I'd be ~ by now.

#29 (TSON)

(TSON)

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

This isn't compatible with safestrap because safestrap has a menu that comes up on boot and would make you bootloop since Boot Manager's failsafe is CWM on boot. Don't assume we did that because we don't like competition.

And 2nd-init is very defined actually, it's the method used to bypass BLUR and load a ROM that isn't based off of it.

Look at the post I made on XDA:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

I really didn't think something like deciphering between 2nd-init and non-2nd-init ROMs would be that difficult for so many people o_o

EDIT: The reason it isn't working for you is because the stock .173 is not 2nd-init. Look at the post I linked above for a list of 2nd-init ROMs.

EDIT2: Your rant is really unwarranted. The "ROMs" we refer to here are images (read: copies of the data) from the ROM, and we're simply flashing the images back to the phone.

#30 cvhovey

cvhovey

Post Traumatic nOOb Disorder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Moto X Dev Ed, Moto X Retail, Nexus 7, Droid Razr Maxx, Droid X, OG Droid

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

(Already found answer to question....)

Droid Razr M XT907 B/L Unlocked - Stock Rooted

#31 Giblet535

Giblet535

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:22 AM

This isn't compatible with safestrap because safestrap has a menu that comes up on boot and would make you bootloop since Boot Manager's failsafe is CWM on boot. Don't assume we did that because we don't like competition.

And 2nd-init is very defined actually, it's the method used to bypass BLUR and load a ROM that isn't based off of it.

Look at the post I made on XDA:

I really didn't think something like deciphering between 2nd-init and non-2nd-init ROMs would be that difficult for so many people o_o

EDIT: The reason it isn't working for you is because the stock .173 is not 2nd-init. Look at the post I linked above for a list of 2nd-init ROMs.

EDIT2: Your rant is really unwarranted. The "ROMs" we refer to here are images (read: copies of the data) from the ROM, and we're simply flashing the images back to the phone.

The post on xda-dev is NOT a definition of 2nd-init. It is a list of 2nd-init and non-2nd-init "ROM"s. Nowhere do you define the term, 2nd-init. You come closest in the post above with "it's the method used to bypass BLUR". That's not a definition either, but it's better than a list.

A shopping list is not a definition of "grocery store".

When you buy meat at the grocery, do you ask for a pound of red meat and pound of non-red meat? Do you get a funny look? Ever tried weasel, the other yellow meat?

The difference between science and quackery lies primarily in the language used - or abused.

How's this for a definition for "2nd-init" or "2init":
2nd-init is a procedure for bypassing Motoblur, Motorola's UI alternative to Google Android's default UI.

And this definition for "ROM":
ROM is a term misused by people whose primary computer experience was acquired via osmosis from a Nintendo Entertainment System. These people are way-too lazy to type the word image, and way-way-way-too lazy to type the word package. Never shake hands with them: they pick their noses and never wash their hands. Ever. It's just too much work. Ya know, like, whatever.

I suppose "rant" is too strong a term for a *free* product, but a paid app should put quackery aside and apply science. I stand by the term, "rant".
  • jpm likes this

#32 gflam

gflam

n00b

• Superuser
  • 8 posts
  • Twitter:@Init2WinitApps
  • LocationJersey

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:16 AM

CVPCS did a nice write up on what exactly 2nd init is if you'd like to read it over it's below

If you have any questions about the application please feel free to ask me (i wrote boot manager) it's pretty simple to use if you know what you're doing.

You can identify a 2nd init ROM easily just look in the zip at /system/etc/ if it has a zip there called hijack-boot.zip then it's a 2nd init ROM and can be used as your phone ROM. Anything else can be loaded into a slot using either nandroids or using the ROM zip and the ROM installer in the app

In the end if you are unhappy let me know we always state that we will issue refunds at anytime, people just never read anything we write sometimes i wonder why we even do this to be honest if no one is gonna read the instructions and just "rant" at us.
  • SpyderMan, andlaw, BowlingGuy86 and 1 other like this

Posted Image

#33 Giblet535

Giblet535

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

Excellent writeup of 2nd-init and hijack! Thank you!

I read the instructions.

People pay me (a lot) to write device drivers so I'm not exactly a full-on blithering moron, yet I didn't understand why a Motoblur bypassed ROM is needed. I still don't. Who gives a rat's backside what ROM is currently installed, or where? Safestrap doesn't. All this flipping nonsense occurs at CWR, right? Boot Manager doesn't try to do this with an image actually running does it?

PS: It's just $3 (== 9 cents when the Federal Reserve Act was passed to prevent inflation) and I enjoy contributing to any development effort. I can be a vocal bastard though.

#34 chiahead52

chiahead52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

I am in need of some help please-I was running Black Widow and I wanted to try this Boot Manager. So I set it up. Just the lite version to try it. I went thru the steps and backed up the phone rom...then installed Eclipse on my slot ROM 1. I did a full wipe on the install and everything. All of that went well and I rebooted into it just fine. Problem is it doesnt have any room to install anything from the market. It errors saying not enough space. IT also doesnt have boot manager on it so I cannot boot into the phone rom anymore. Is there a way I can get back into my phone rom? I am sure I probably didnt set up the slot rom to have enough space on it, which is why I am having trouble. Any help would be great-thank you

#35 chiahead52

chiahead52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

anyone got any ideas?

#36 chiahead52

chiahead52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

Nevermind I got it

#37 quinejh

quinejh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:58 AM

OK maybe i'vedone something wrong but as soon as I read this post I thought heck yea and bought the pro versioni am running gummy10 now with boot manager having backups of stock and eclipse and another I can't recall at the moment I thought wow a way to run several at the same time . Just install my backups in other partition downloaded installed backed up and rebooted and got stock on the m had to hold power and volume to boot back into clockwork what was it supposed to do at boot? And did I miss a step?

#38 yakub0

yakub0

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:12 PM

hi

#39 loooney2ns

loooney2ns

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Twitter:loooney2ns
  • Google+:loooney2ns

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

I loved this on my Droid X. I'm on the ICS leak and I'm pretty happy with it,so I'm going to wait a little while for the roms to catch up.

#40 vtwinbmx

vtwinbmx

Droid Elite

• Developer
  • 2,486 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:31 AM

I am in need of some help please-I was running Black Widow and I wanted to try this Boot Manager. So I set it up. Just the lite version to try it. I went thru the steps and backed up the phone rom...then installed Eclipse on my slot ROM 1. I did a full wipe on the install and everything. All of that went well and I rebooted into it just fine. Problem is it doesnt have any room to install anything from the market. It errors saying not enough space. IT also doesnt have boot manager on it so I cannot boot into the phone rom anymore. Is there a way I can get back into my phone rom? I am sure I probably didnt set up the slot rom to have enough space on it, which is why I am having trouble. Any help would be great-thank you

Could you give me a hand I have the same problem you did.

vtc.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users