Photo
- - - - -

Testing in TWRP, no wipe of system, no flash of boot.img...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:29 PM

So, I installed Rage on Friday, without a hitch.  I did not wipe system, and I did not flash a stock boot.img before flashing Rage.  I decided to do this based off of my previous experience with my tablet.  This is what I did:

1.  DL Rage and place in external SD

2.  Boot into Recovery and make a backup

3.  mount system, then wipe cache/dalvik

4.  FDR

5.  Reboot recovery

6.  mount system

7.  choose install, and flashed Rage

8.  wiped cache/dalvik

9.  re-boot and setup 

With all of these installs, I never wiped system and never flashed a boot.img. The ones that failed might have worked if I had flashed a .img at the same time (doubt it), but I'd be willing to bet it has more to do with the updater script that Tim found, and that was included into the Rage ROM (and looks like Flying Jelly too).  I didn't attempt swapping the script or flashing boot.img with the ones that failed, my phone needed a rest. ;)  I'll try it out later or someone else can add to this thread. 

1.  Rage-Good to go, everything works

2.  Flying Jelly-Good to go, everything works, but it prompted me to take the Verizon OTA as soon I connected service.  I'll just freeze updater.apk with TiBU if I decide to set FJ up all the way.  Right now, I just booted back into recovery, backed up FJ so I can have a quick restore if I decide to run it. 

3.  Energy-No go.  Failed immediately.  Restore went fine. 

4.  Eclipse-No go.  After I attempted flash, I was unable to mount system, but restore went fine

• Gerland the Oracle, neckchop and shane1 like this

R. Long: Pixel 5

#2 neckchop

neckchop

pluh!

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Locationatlantic City
  • Current Device(s):razr HD, razr m, note 10.1

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:39 AM

Awesome post. Thank you. This will help some folks for sure!

#3 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City
  • Current Device(s):x13 Dev Ed & x14 Pure Ed & Droid Turbo

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:18 AM

FYI the boot.img NEVER needs to be flashed on a Blur based ROM. Only time you need to use the stock Boot.img is if you had previously flashed a AOSP, CM, AOKP type ROM to the device as they require there own custom kernel to even be able to run/boot. So if you flash a AOSP style you will FOR SURE have to flash the boot.img of stock software if you go back to a Blur based ROM otherwise it wont boot.

Also on your process of flashing. there is no need to mount system prior to wiping anything. Ppl are just better off making the backup, then wipe what needs to be to follow up with a reboot of recovery, then mount /system and flash away. 

Lastly on the flash failures listed. I have not tried Enegry but as far as Eclipse goes yes it comes up failed but it flashed fine & will boot fine. i've been testing for Nitro on my Dev edition since his first build so i know for certain it works. Here is the key tho most of the ROMs that have not been updated since the unlock was put out are designed for use with SS. And until the Dev updates the ROM some ROMs will have issues flashing. I know this seeing as I own the dev edition and for a wk i fought getting ANY rom flashed to it that was setup for SS. Until i figured out the how to get it working i couldn't flash squat. However since figuring it out I've been able to flash any ROM posted even if t was setup for use with SS

• neckchop, RikRong and shane1 like this

#4 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:14 AM

Thanks for the input.  I was 99.99% sure that they didn't fail because of the boot.img, and you confirmed that.  When the flash failed on Eclipse, I didn't think about rebooting to see if it had actually installed.  I just saw that it failed and then restored the backup.  I wasn't sure about mounting system when wiping, I never do it on my tablet, but that's what everyone recommended doing on this phone, so I went with it.  This is the kind of input we need, thanks. 

• neckchop likes this

#5 dreamjaeil

dreamjaeil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Current Device(s):xt907

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:14 AM

Have you tried flashing new elemental X for M? I got error 7 on cwm

#6 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:21 AM

I haven't tried it out yet, it just came out today.  It's also still in test phase, so I probably won't touch it until a stable build comes out.  Also, it appears it is not based off of stock, so you'd need to flash a stock boot.img to go back to a stock ROM. 

#7 dreamjaeil

dreamjaeil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:29 AM

I haven't tried it out yet, it just came out today.  It's also still in test phase, so I probably won't touch it until a stable build comes out.  Also, it appears it is not based off of stock, so you'd need to flash a stock boot.img to go back to a stock ROM. 

Well since nitro doesn't have working razr m, I thought I would help out by giving him feedback and such. Sooner he gets the wrinkles ironed out faster we get stable Rom.

#8 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:30 AM

Well since nitro doesn't have working razr m, I thought I would help out by giving him feedback and such. Sooner he gets the wrinkles ironed out faster we get stable Rom.

That's true, testers are always needed.

#9 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:06 AM

Thanks for the input.  I was 99.99% sure that they didn't fail because of the boot.img, and you confirmed that.  When the flash failed on Eclipse, I didn't think about rebooting to see if it had actually installed.  I just saw that it failed and then restored the backup.  I wasn't sure about mounting system when wiping, I never do it on my tablet, but that's what everyone recommended doing on this phone, so I went with it.  This is the kind of input we need, thanks. 

Anytime that is what we are all here for. 

As for the mounting thing, yeah there seems to be some confusion currently, and IMO i think it stems from the big change gong to unlocked and a custom Recovery vs old way for most ppl using SS. i've had a Dev edition since day one as i refuse to buy locked devices so I'm use to it I guess.

#10 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:12 AM

Anytime that is what we are all here for. 

As for the mounting thing, yeah there seems to be some confusion currently, and IMO i think it stems from the big change gong to unlocked and a custom Recovery vs old way for most ppl using SS. i've had a Dev edition since day one as i refuse to buy locked devices so I'm use to it I guess.

I'll tell you what, you have more nuts and more patience than I do.  There has been very little development for the Dev device, and your persistence in getting things working on it is commendable. 

#11 brandon71

brandon71

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Google+:tbd7171@gmail.com
  • LocationKodak, TN
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr M

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

Where is this new ROM at? Can't seem to find it lol

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

#12 dreamjaeil

dreamjaeil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

Where is this new ROM at? Can't seem to find it lol

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

It's at nitro's new site. Elemental X designs

• brandon71 likes this

#13 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:38 AM

I'll tell you what, you have more nuts and more patience than I do.  There has been very little development for the Dev device, and your persistence in getting things working on it is commendable. 

LOL...... I'm not one to give up when I know it can be done. and yeah at the time there was not squat to use on the Dev edition until i figured out a work around to be able to use SS ROMs on my Dev Edition devices without using SS. At the time I felt it defeated the purpose of owning a dev edition to have ot use SS so i was on a mission to get ROMs flashing right on my Dev Edition M or HD. 

• neckchop and CamoCustom like this

#14 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

It's at nitro's new site. Elemental X designs

It looks like a pretty nice ROM.  I'll keep an eye on it and might try it out when a stable build is released.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users