Photo

Motorola Hotspot secure connection

Best Answer kellym , 30 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

Posting this in case anyone else makes the same mistake I did (how do the simplest things become so complicated?) I figured out the problem with Moto Hotspot.  The WPA2 password requires a minimum of 8 characters, but it doesn't tell you that.  When I was setting up the app you referred to me, Wifi Tether, their password protocol is 8-20 characters.  I went back to HotSpot, created an longer password and connection was secure (it wasn't the Client start up as I first thought).  Thanks for the app referral, sooo much easier.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kellym

kellym

Droid Oracle

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts
  • Google+:kellym
  • LocationNY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel XL

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:02 AM

I'm rooted and used SQLite editor to change my entitlement check to 0 and can now use this option.  I'm worried that the connection is open, can anyone use this while I am too?  I'm trying to change the hotspot configuration from Open to WPA2 PSK, I enter a password, but then the Save option is greyed out, I cannot select it and it seems like it's looking for a different Client (DHCP) start address.  I went into SQL and tried all of the wifi_ap and wifi_dhcp numbers in the setting.db folder and none of those work.  I've tried changing the Network SSID name and channel as well, no dice.  Is there something else I should be doing?  Thanks!

#2 Underwater Mike

Underwater Mike

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:18 AM

Try using WiFi Tether from the market. It has all the options you need and then some.

#3 kellym

kellym

Droid Oracle

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:45 AM

Are you talking about the Muller, Lemons Button app?  If so, do you recommend the Wifi Tether or Wireless (which also has Bluetooth - which I probably don't need).  This SQLite editor has been nothing but a hassle.  Thanks.

#4 King Howie

King Howie

Minister of Jackbooted Thugs

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Current Device(s):Galaxy S4 GPE, Nexus 7 (2013)

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#5 kellym

kellym

Droid Oracle

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

Got it, thx.

#6 kellym

kellym

Droid Oracle

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:25 PM   Best Answer

Posting this in case anyone else makes the same mistake I did (how do the simplest things become so complicated?) I figured out the problem with Moto Hotspot.  The WPA2 password requires a minimum of 8 characters, but it doesn't tell you that.  When I was setting up the app you referred to me, Wifi Tether, their password protocol is 8-20 characters.  I went back to HotSpot, created an longer password and connection was secure (it wasn't the Client start up as I first thought).  Thanks for the app referral, sooo much easier.

• King Howie likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users