Photo

FDR fubared stock ROM, stuck in bootloop

Best Answer OldBaldy , 04 May 2013 - 04:28 AM

Are you on jb? That seems to be causing some grief on backups.

Yep, stock ROM was the OTA JB 4.1.2 update. I didn't have any trouble keeping root with Voodoo like some did, but this other issue seems fairly widespread too.

The issue with "black screen after restore" is caused by doing the backup with root still protected by voodoo. The file that the protection creates cannot be erased nor overwritten, thus a safestrap or cwm restore fails while trying to replace it and you wind up with an incomplete system restore. The bad thing is this is a silent failure. If you remove the su backup from within voodoo before backing up, everything restored properly and boots fine. I tested this on the Razr when the first Xmas leak came out. I made a backup with root protected, then made one with the su backup removed. I then backed up su again with Voodoo and tried to restore. The restore made with the protected su failed with the black screen. I then restored the backup made without root protected and it booted. I then checked in voodoo and the su backup was still there. This proved (to me anyway) that safestrap was not deleting the file when it did its rm-rf on system. If you can get someone to send you a backup of their system without su being protected, you can replace the system file in your own backup with it, restore and be back in business. I did this for the Razr (before we had the fxz files and it recovered at least 15 "bricked" stock slot phones.

Sent from my XT912 Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ratamacue

ratamacue

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:39 AM

I was working an issue on my Bionic with dock modes not working, so I did an FDR on the stock ROM and now it won't boot and neither will a SS restore of the stock ROM in the stock ROM slot. I have two separate backups of the stock ROM, and neither one will boot in the stock ROM slot; they both hang right after the Droid boot sound effect. If I leave it alone for a few minutes the hardware keys give a haptic feedback, but the screen stays blank.

On a whim, I tried restoring my most recent stock backup to ROM slot 2, and it works just fine. Question is, what happened and how much should I worry about the stock ROM slot proper not working correctly? I'd rather not go through the entire exercise of RSD/Fastboot/Root/SafeStrap/rebuild etc. if I don't have to, but something is clearly amiss. 

TIA for any advice...

#2 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:25 AM

I have seen this happen to a ton of people... Having issues booting back to the stock rom. I would say as long as your Rom works stick with it. When you are ready for something new head over to House of Bionic for all your restore needs.

Moving this to Bionic General...

• livinginkaos and ratamacue like this

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#3 ratamacue

ratamacue

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

I have seen this happen to a ton of people... Having issues booting back to the stock rom. I would say as long as your Rom works stick with it. When you are ready for something new head over to House of Bionic for all your restore needs.

Moving this to Bionic General...

LOL. I just sat down to move this over to the Bionic side of the house myself. Thanks for the reply.

• Memnoch73 likes this

#4 ratamacue

ratamacue

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

What seems odd is that a SafeStrap restore doesn't work in the stock slot. Something is happening that's unique to the way that the stock ROM slot boots that Hash didn't plan for. 

I tried a Google search to produce a logcat that might be helpful, but not having any luck. 

#5 sparky697

sparky697

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • Twitter:sparky697

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2

#6 giant25

giant25

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:16 PM

Same exact issue as op.  I ended up installing the deodexed stock build posted by Team LiteSpeed into Slot 1 for now and restoring apps with Titanium Backup.  Right now my stock slot is busted.  Someday I'll FXZ and reroot, but I'm waiting until I've researched the root method more, or the root becomes easier (I don't have a Linux box and the easy root options will probably be how I get there eventually).  Not sure what's going on overall though, but I did nothing out of the ordinary to cause this...

#7 ratamacue

ratamacue

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

Yep, stock ROM was the OTA JB 4.1.2 update. I didn't have any trouble keeping root with Voodoo like some did, but this other issue seems fairly widespread too.

#8 OldBaldy

OldBaldy

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:28 AM   Best Answer

The issue with "black screen after restore" is caused by doing the backup with root still protected by voodoo. The file that the protection creates cannot be erased nor overwritten, thus a safestrap or cwm restore fails while trying to replace it and you wind up with an incomplete system restore. The bad thing is this is a silent failure. If you remove the su backup from within voodoo before backing up, everything restored properly and boots fine. I tested this on the Razr when the first Xmas leak came out. I made a backup with root protected, then made one with the su backup removed. I then backed up su again with Voodoo and tried to restore. The restore made with the protected su failed with the black screen. I then restored the backup made without root protected and it booted. I then checked in voodoo and the su backup was still there. This proved (to me anyway) that safestrap was not deleting the file when it did its rm-rf on system. If you can get someone to send you a backup of their system without su being protected, you can replace the system file in your own backup with it, restore and be back in business. I did this for the Razr (before we had the fxz files and it recovered at least 15 "bricked" stock slot phones.

Sent from my XT912
  • neckchop, Memnoch73, sparky697 and 3 others like this

#9 giant25

giant25

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:15 AM

Sent from my XT912

This is a huge find.  Thanks.  I'm surprised that this isn't pasted all over the forums.  Anyone found a way to recover this or been able to find a stock unprotected system file anywhere?  I'd love to try and recover from this.  Thanks again.

#10 ratamacue

ratamacue

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

I'd have to agree that this is indeed rather big. There are a lot of people out there with the same issue.

Thanks for posting this.

The issue with "black screen after restore" is caused by doing the backup with root still protected by voodoo. The file that the protection creates cannot be erased nor overwritten, thus a safestrap or cwm restore fails while trying to replace it and you wind up with an incomplete system restore. The bad thing is this is a silent failure. If you remove the su backup from within voodoo before backing up, everything restored properly and boots fine. I tested this on the Razr when the first Xmas leak came out. I made a backup with root protected, then made one with the su backup removed. I then backed up su again with Voodoo and tried to restore. The restore made with the protected su failed with the black screen. I then restored the backup made without root protected and it booted. I then checked in voodoo and the su backup was still there. This proved (to me anyway) that safestrap was not deleting the file when it did its rm-rf on system. If you can get someone to send you a backup of their system without su being protected, you can replace the system file in your own backup with it, restore and be back in business. I did this for the Razr (before we had the fxz files and it recovered at least 15 "bricked" stock slot phones.Sent from my XT912

#11 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:51 AM

This has bad ramifications for the HoB protect root function. I'm going to have to add a method for removing the protected backup. Joys.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

Non potest esse nisi unus

#12 ratamacue

ratamacue

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:01 AM

This has bad ramifications for the HoB protect root function. I'm going to have to add a method for removing the protected backup. Joys.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

Glad I could be of...  service? :)

#13 OldBaldy

OldBaldy

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:20 AM

Sent from my XT912

This is a huge find. Thanks. I'm surprised that this isn't pasted all over the forums. Anyone found a way to recover this or been able to find a stock unprotected system file anywhere? I'd love to try and recover from this. Thanks again.

I'm sure someone out there with a bionic running safestrap could backup their stock slot and post their system.ext3.win file. Then all you have to do is replace the one in your backup with it. There is no personal info in the system file so no worries on that point. All they have to do is remove their su condom prior to making the backup. It's not really needed unless you're getting ready to take an OTA anyway.

Sent from my XT912
  • ratamacue likes this

#14 ratamacue

ratamacue

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:36 AM

This is a huge find.  Thanks.  I'm surprised that this isn't pasted all over the forums.  Anyone found a way to recover this or been able to find a stock unprotected system file anywhere?  I'd love to try and recover from this.  Thanks again.

If you have a backup of your stock ROM, you can have your stock ROM slot up and running in 5 minutes. 

1. Restore your stock ROM backup to a spare ROM slot. I put mine in ROM slot 2.

2. Open Voodoo and click delete SU backup. If that option isn't available, click protect root, then click delete SU backup.

3  Backup ROM slot 2 in SafeStrap.

4  Restore your newly created backup to the stock slot.

5. Done.

• tstonelegal likes this

#15 giant25

giant25

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:46 AM

If you have a backup of your stock ROM, you can have your stock ROM slot up and running in 5 minutes. 

1. Restore your stock ROM backup to a spare ROM slot. I put mine in ROM slot 2.
2. Open Voodoo and click delete SU backup. If that option isn't available, click protect root, then click delete SU backup.
3  Backup ROM slot 2 in SafeStrap.
4  Restore your newly created backup to the stock slot.
5. Done.

Very clever, I'll give this a shot.

#16 ratamacue

ratamacue

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:57 AM

Worked for me. I'll bet it does for you also.

#17 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:28 AM

Glad I could be of...  service? :)

SuperSU mentioned this before and I ignored it. ;)  However, I'll have to add a script to remove protection in an update to the HoB.  I'll only take a few minutes to add it.

• kellym likes this

#18 giant25

giant25

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:27 AM

Worked for me. I'll bet it does for you also.

Sure enough, my stock slot is back in business after following your steps. Thanks so much. The only strange thing left is that alot of my built in apps (Swype, NFL mobile, etc) are all missing. This has been the case since I put Blurry on earlier this week, though. Not sure if it's a permissions problem or if system is still somewhat jacked. It could have also been from TiBu/Device ID ignoring. I'll have to dig around and see what I can find on this. I may just have to fxz, and root over again, we shall see...

#19 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:33 AM

HoB 10.2 has been released with a new unprotect method.  Like the protect function, it doesn't touch Voodoo's protected backup...it only affects the HoB backup.

#20 ratamacue

ratamacue

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:41 PM

Sure enough, my stock slot is back in business after following your steps. Thanks so much. The only strange thing left is that alot of my built in apps (Swype, NFL mobile, etc) are all missing. This has been the case since I put Blurry on earlier this week, though. Not sure if it's a permissions problem or if system is still somewhat jacked. It could have also been from TiBu/Device ID ignoring. I'll have to dig around and see what I can find on this. I may just have to fxz, and root over again, we shall see...

Glad it worked for you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users