Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

I'm about a week into owning my Razr, coming from the ThunderBolt and I gotta say I'm really digging the Smart Actions app. I really think Moto knocked it out of the park with this. If they were looking for something cool to separate themselves from the crowd I think this helps. I am looking forward to them updating this app(hopefully) when they finally release ICS for the Razr.

So far I have a few Actions set up:

Overnight silence... used for silencing the phone during sleeping hours

Dock dimming... used to minimize my brightness while in the dock for efficient charging

GPS off... I noticed at work my GPS icon flashes all night since it can't find me in the steel and concrete building so I turn it off

Honorable mention of the Wifi on/off app from Verizon that turns my wifi on when at home and off when I leave...

So I'm tossing this to all you veterans out there... What Smart Actions do you have set up???

PS I know the shiny newness of this app has worn off for some but please refrain from the obligatory "meh I don't use this crap" comments. Thanks ;)

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#2 ssmaynv

ssmaynv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:03 PM

I actually use this app a lot. I have my settings based upon when I arrive at work and home, sleeping hours, meetings etc..

#3 timdog68

timdog68

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:39 AM

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Like smart actions but they need to update it to include a 4G on/off by location setting.
Also refine some other options to be more specific about location and more wifi and gps specific choices.

#4 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:39 AM

I am wondering about the wifi action. If I turn on wifi and turn off cell data then am I able to still receive texts and voice calls with cell data off??

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#5 timdog68

timdog68

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:49 AM

I am wondering about the wifi action. If I turn on wifi and turn off cell data then am I able to still receive texts and voice calls with cell data off??

Yes cell data has nothing to do with voice or sms text.
Cell data is only handling 3g/4g network for internet and MMS texts.
Wifi has the same function for internet but doesnt handle mms messages.

You only really need cell data on when wifi is not present and you need to get on the internet or send a mms pitcure message or have multiple recipients for a text.

If your in a strong 4G area you may prefer 4G over wifi but wifi is better than 3g as far as speeds go.

#6 Thach

Thach

Motorola Fanboy

• Administrator
  • 2,364 posts
  • Twitter:thach2639
  • Google+:Thach26
  • LocationGrand Forks ND
  • Current Device(s):OG Droid, Droid X, Droid X2, Droid Razr, Droid Bionic, Droid Xyboard 8.2, Nexus 7

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:50 AM

I too love the smart actions and use them all the time. I have set it up before to shut data off when the screen is off and was still able to get texts. Not sure if that answers your question but hope it helps.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Thach%20Admin%20device%20list.png

#7 midas

midas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:44 PM

I use Smart Actions, mainly because I'm too cheap to pay for Tasker. One feature that's really lacking is the ability to separately control the volume of different functions. Night time is an example. Since I use my phone for work, and my work is 24x7, I get a lot of emails overnight. I don't want email notifications to make any sound. But if work calls me, I want the phone to ring. I haven't figured out a way to do that with Smart Actions.

#8 Thach

Thach

Motorola Fanboy

• Administrator
  • 2,364 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks ND
  • Current Device(s):OG Droid, Droid X, Droid X2, Droid Razr, Droid Bionic, Droid Xyboard 8.2, Nexus 7

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

I use Smart Actions, mainly because I'm too cheap to pay for Tasker. One feature that's really lacking is the ability to separately control the volume of different functions. Night time is an example. Since I use my phone for work, and my work is 24x7, I get a lot of emails overnight. I don't want email notifications to make any sound. But if work calls me, I want the phone to ring. I haven't figured out a way to do that with Smart Actions.

Have you set the phone to silent for night but added the numbers you would like to VIP caller? That should do the trick.

#9 hootowlserenade

hootowlserenade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationDavison, MI

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

Check out automateit in the market... idk if the free version allows time triggers but the paid version costs much less than tasker... and you can control individual volume levels...

I personally don't use smart actions, but that is only because I have automateit close programs for me.. (when Bluetooth connects, I have it start Pandora, and when it disconnects I have it close Pandora... I have Bluetooth in my truck and its so convenient to listen to something other than "payola" radio and not even have to touch my phone or take it out of my holster for a short drive to the store)

Sent from the cutting edge of my RAZR

#10 chavist

chavist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:34 AM

He could use the VIP call asserting in smart actions it would allow the phone to ring when a specific number dials

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

#11 Thach

Thach

Motorola Fanboy

• Administrator
  • 2,364 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks ND

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

He could use the VIP call asserting in smart actions it would allow the phone to ring when a specific number dials

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Agreed. I use this all the time and it works great.

#12 midas

midas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

Agreed. I use this all the time and it works great.

The problem is, I could get called by literally 30 or 40 different people. And most of them aren't in my contact list. I even get calls from people I've never talked to before.

How about another example? When I get to work I want notifications on at 3/4 volume. But I want to be able to fire up a game before a meeting starts with the sound off.

I guess I really do need to pay the money for Tasker.

#13 hootowlserenade

hootowlserenade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationDavison, MI

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

The problem is, I could get called by literally 30 or 40 different people. And most of them aren't in my contact list. I even get calls from people I've never talked to before.

How about another example? When I get to work I want notifications on at 3/4 volume. But I want to be able to fire up a game before a meeting starts with the sound off.

I guess I really do need to pay the money for Tasker.

Check out the free version of automateit. It just might do the trick for you... here's a link to it:

#14 midas

midas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

Check out the free version of automateit. It just might do the trick for you... here's a link to it:

Thanks, I just downloaded Llama. Looks pretty good from the few minutes I played with it. I saw that free version of automateit had some restrictions. I don't mind spending the money for the pro version since it's relatively inexpensive. But I'd like to be able to fully test without restrictions. But if Llama doesn't work out I'll revisit it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users