4 replies to this topic

#1 evocop

evocop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Twitter:floydaccess

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

I have a question for any willling person to answer for me. The stock messaging app for Motorola Razr M is cheezy and generic. Just my opinion. Is it possible to install a different stock Text Messaging apk. Im not talking about downloading handcent, or gosms, or anything like that from the play store. I am talking about taking a stock messaging app like the one in "Energy" rom and installing it to replace the text messaging app that is stock on Razr M?

#2 zooyork0721

zooyork0721

All Around Man

• Developer
  • 979 posts
  • Google+:gtalk/hangouts- zooyork0721
  • LocationNew York, NY
  • Current Device(s):OnePlus 8 Pro

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

yes it is. you would need to go into the rom that you want to take the app from and copy it. then go into the system-> apps (of the rom you want to replace) and copy the apk name exactly and rename the texting app your wanting to use and then overwrite your current with the new one... lol does that make sense? if not what roms are you looking to mess with?  this is just a quick reply lol sorry if there are any typos or random words thrown in there :p

• tmyinc likes this

lr79yH0.png

en_app_rgb_wo_60.png

#3 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Twitter:TMYINC
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Razr M, GN2, Nexus 10

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

All what zoo said can be done with root explorer. Just copy the messaging apk from system/app in the energy rom zip and paste it somewhere you can find it later (i.e. the root of your sdcard). Go to system/app on your device and make sure the messaging app you pulled from energy is named the same. Long press on the apk from energy, choose move, and navigate to system/app. Mount system as r/w at the top of root explorer then select paste and allow it to overwrite the old apk. Now long press on the apk and choose permissions. Permissions should be rw-r-r, or 2 x's on the top line and 1 x on the bottom 2. Now mount system as r/o in root explorer and reboot your phone.  Then profit!

#4 evocop

evocop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Twitter:floydaccess

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

Awesome , Thank you both! I understood both directions. Works like a charm. I used the messaging.apk from Energy Rom. My next question I guess, Would it be possible to cross platform. Such as taking the APK from a Samsung based rom or HTC based rom and install the APK as long as it was renamed exact to messaging.apk?

• tmyinc likes this

#5 zooyork0721

zooyork0721

All Around Man

• Developer
  • 979 posts
  • Google+:gtalk/hangouts- zooyork0721
  • LocationNew York, NY
  • Current Device(s):OnePlus 8 Pro

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

Awesome , Thank you both! I understood both directions. Works like a charm. I used the messaging.apk from Energy Rom. My next question I guess, Would it be possible to cross platform. Such as taking the APK from a Samsung based rom or HTC based rom and install the APK as long as it was renamed exact to messaging.apk?

ahhh that i cant say lol havent tried, but make sure you have the original messaging.apk so incase it doesnt work you can go back :)

lr79yH0.png

en_app_rgb_wo_60.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users