Photo

Force Bluetooth Headset To Use Voice Search, Not Voice Commands?

Bluetooth Headset

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Oneironut

Oneironut

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:12 AM

New to Android - just got the Razr Maxx, so maybe I am just missing something...but I cannot find a way to force my bluetooth headset (Plantronics Discovery 925) to use "Voice Search" rather than "Voice Commands" when I push the call button on the headset. Since it defaults to "Voice Commands", the system insists that I use first, middle, and last names to identify the caller, e.g., "call Donald L. Duck on mobile", which is a real pain since I don't remember everybody's middle name or initial, though it is nice to have that information in my contacts file. "Voice Search", on the other hand, does not seem to use middle name, and all is well. I'm trying to figure out how to make the call button on the headset use "Voice Search", or, alternatively, fix "Voice Commands" so it doesn't recognize names using the middle name (who would program software to do something so obtuse anyway?). Any ideas from experienced Android and/or Razr users??

#2 ssmaynv

ssmaynv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

This is odd. I've never had to use the middle initial.

#3 Oneironut

Oneironut

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

Just tested it again. As long as the contact has a middle name, "voice commands" forces me to use it. If I do not say the middle name, it says "no location found" and asks to add a new location. If I use the middle name (as well as first and last), then it will connect the call, as normal. "Voice Search" does not have this problem, but I can't get the headset to use Voice Search.

My contacts are managed via Exchange. I have had them in Outlook since the very first Outlook. Some have middle name info, some do not. Never had a problem like this using WinMo, even with the exact same headset.

#4 Oneironut

Oneironut

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

For all two of you who actually care about using Voice Search rather than the crappy Voice Commands, I found a solution. There is a free app in the market called "Bluetooth Launch", which will effectively re-direct the headset button push to whatever process you choose. It lists every app and every process, so there are lots of potential choices, but for Voice Search, I chose that app and then "com.google.android.voicesearch.RecognitionActivity". This works, though Voice Search only picks up my verbal command through the handset mic, not through the headset. Once the called is connected, I get the audio in the headset. Still a bit kludgy, but his is good enough for now, I suppose. Android still has a ways to go to catch up with (the now deceased) Windows Mobile when it comes to BT headset use!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users