9 replies to this topic

#1 dw14606

dw14606

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:39 PM

I am trying to get my phone to take the OTA to 9.16.6, but it keeps failing. I am stock rooted 9.1.41 and using voodoo to protect root, but no luck, update fails.

I would like to save my data by updating OTA then unlock bootloader. Any ideas why OTA no workie?

Otherwise could I use DROID_RAZR_HD_Utility 1.20 and use step 1 (load stock 4.1.2 system) then root then unlock bootloader?

Thanks

#2 JJT211

JJT211

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

Its failing because you are still rooted. You need to UNROOT your phone to take the OTA. The whole reason behind the voodoo rootkeeper is so you can unroot in order to take the update, and then immediately root afterwards. When new updates first come out, dev's need time to find the new root exploit for that update. Voodoo makes it to where you can immediately get root without having to wait for the root exploit. 

#3 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:48 PM

I am trying to get my phone to take the OTA to 9.16.6, but it keeps failing. I am stock rooted 9.1.41 and using voodoo to protect root, but no luck, update fails.

I would like to save my data by updating OTA then unlock bootloader. Any ideas why OTA no workie?

Otherwise could I use DROID_RAZR_HD_Utility 1.20 and use step 1 (load stock 4.1.2 system) then root then unlock bootloader?

Thanks

The utility would be your easiest process.

#4 dw14606

dw14606

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:55 AM

Its failing because you are still rooted. You need to UNROOT your phone to take the OTA. The whole reason behind the voodoo rootkeeper is so you can unroot in order to take the update, and then immediately root afterwards. When new updates first come out, dev's need time to find the new root exploit for that update. Voodoo makes it to where you can immediately get root without having to wait for the root exploit. 

Hmm, I am using voodoo to unroot. My understanding is the same as everything that you explained I think. I just waited for a while to take OTA. 

Is there some reason that unrooting with voodoo then taking OTA wouldn't work? It worked as expected last night on my xt912 that I also waited to take OTA.

Thanks. I am trying to make the OTA work so I can save my data, settings, non-market apps and such.

Thanks

#5 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:23 AM

If you have any stock apps frozen or have safestrap installed, your ota will fail.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#6 dw14606

dw14606

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:42 AM

If you have any stock apps frozen or have safestrap installed, your ota will fail.

Thanks. No safestrap, I don't recall freezing any stock apps for just this reason, but I will double check.

Thanks 

#7 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:52 AM

Since you are rooted I would suggest using Titanium Backup to save your data then use

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

utility to fastboot to stock JB, re-root and unlock your bootloader.

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#8 dw14606

dw14606

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:15 AM

Since you are rooted I would suggest using Titanium Backup to save your data then use

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

utility to fastboot to stock JB, re-root and unlock your bootloader.

That is probably best as I can't find any missing/frozen apps.

I had changed my ro.build.version.full to 9.16.6 to stop the update nag so I thought that may have caused improper app updates so I changed back to 9.1.41 and uninstalled all the app updates and let them reinstall, but still no joy.

Do I need the pro (paid) version of Titanium Backup to do a full backup? I see where to backup call logs, sms, wifi and such to xml, but I am mostly concerned with app settings and non-market apps, if that can even be done.

Thanks

#9 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:17 AM

That is probably best as I can't find any missing/frozen apps.

I had changed my ro.build.version.full to 9.16.6 to stop the update nag so I thought that may have caused improper app updates so I changed back to 9.1.41 and uninstalled all the app updates and let them reinstall, but still no joy.

Do I need the pro (paid) version of Titanium Backup to do a full backup? I see where to backup call logs, sms, wifi and such to xml, but I am mostly concerned with app settings and non-market apps, if that can even be done.

Thanks

You can do it all with the free version but be prepared to hit the install button a bunch of times. With the free version it restores apps individually and you have to hit install for each app. The paid will do it all automatically. Well worth it IMHO.

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#10 dw14606

dw14606

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:19 AM

You can do it all with the free version but be prepared to hit the install button a bunch of times. With the free version it restores apps individually and you have to hit install for each app. The paid will do it all automatically. Well worth it IMHO.

Thanks, yeah prolly worth it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users