Droid Ninja

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Twitter:kcalebcole
  • LocationColorado
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Droid RAZR M

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:53 AM

I face a weird situation. I've been a Romming and themeing enthusiast for many years now. Mostly it's been from necessity; to overcome the limitations of inferior devices or poor programming. I have had my RAZR M for several days now and I can't find anything about it I would need to change. I'm not sure what to do with that.

I have love Motorola's blur theme since ICS. It was like they read my mind developing it. Every theme I had previously attempted was getting me closer to what Moto put out. JB furthered that sensibility and added the quickness and feel that was lacking in previous versions.

The dual 1.5 CPU is more than adequate for my usage needs, in fact the 1.2 of the Bionic was more than enough. I love the feel of this phone. I love the Kevlar on my fingers, the aluminum in my hand, the Gorilla glass I'm gliding on. It feels like a proper smart phone. I have a shell case for it, that I simply don't want to use. It's light and smallish and thin.

I was a huge fan of Flying Jelly. I have used CM10, CM9, MIUI, Redhead, Liquid, AOKP, Blackbean, Liberty, Gummy, Apex, Simply Stunning, CM7, and possibility one or two I can't remember. I simply can't find a reason to root or boot-crack this phone. I will admit I'm a Moto fanboy. I was the trainer for several years in the North American Technical Support center (not phones), so I may have a bit of bias. But my last 2 phones were Moto and they begged to be hacked!

It's weird, but I'm holding off for now. Maybe if something really revolutionary comes out I'll make the leap, but for now.... I simply love this phone.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta (edited on my computer)

#2 mynamehere

mynamehere

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Twitter:mynamehere1202
  • Google+:bryce2615@gmail.com
  • LocationMaryland
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR maxx HD

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

I would agree with you.  The blur theme is pretty lightweight, and offers enough tweaks from stock to make it just a little nicer.  I've got the HD, and was pretty happy with it stock, except for Verizon's bloatware.  Backup Assistant plus was driving me nuts, so I finally decided to root/unlock it and loaded the Nexesque them, and couldn't be happier.  All of the little lags I was noticing are gone, I have more free memory now, and no more apps from Verizon that I just would never use.  And no more BA+!!!  that was the clincher for me, if I could have at least disabled the notifications for it, I probably wouldn't have rooted.

Who cares what tomorrow will bring, as long as it brings candy.

#3 marxman3

marxman3

• Developer
  • 290 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:49 AM

I would argue you are looking at it from the wrong direction. Hacking has a negative connotation. What we are doing is open source development. No offense to Motorola but their stock ROM is typical of one whose sole purpose is profit margins. Your individuality isn't considered further than a number on a financial statement.

I don't know one Dev that has made money doing it. Quite the opposite actually, yet the challenge, opportunity for learning and desire to share with others keeps them doing something they lose money on. Whether they spend money on devices, server space, etc. The real cost is in time. If I spend 30 hours over a weekend (not uncommon) what is the worth of that? If I charged what I do for my consulting work in my profession it's about $2000. However, it doesn't matter at all because this isn't about money, it's much more important in so many ways than the "bottom line" on a ledger.

And in case you're wondering my screen name is not a reference to shooting guns, but more along the lines of "workers of the world unite". That's exactly what Aosp means to me and many others.

Sent from my XT907 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
  • neckchop, timpohladthomas, jco23 and 1 other like this

#4 brandon71

brandon71

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Google+:tbd7171@gmail.com
  • LocationKodak, TN
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr M

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:06 PM

I would argue you are looking at it from the wrong direction. Hacking has a negative connotation. What we are doing is open source development. No offense to Motorola but their stock ROM is typical of one whose sole purpose is profit margins. Your individuality isn't considered further than a number on a financial statement.

I don't know one Dev that has made money doing it. Quite the opposite actually, yet the challenge, opportunity for learning and desire to share with others keeps them doing something they lose money on. Whether they spend money on devices, server space, etc. The real cost is in time. If I spend 30 hours over a weekend (not uncommon) what is the worth of that? If I charged what I do for my consulting work in my profession it's about $2000. However, it doesn't matter at all because this isn't about money, it's much more important in so many ways than the "bottom line" on a ledger.

And in case you're wondering my screen name is not a reference to shooting guns, but more along the lines of "workers of the world unite". That's exactly what Aosp means to me and many others.

Like in Marx guy who wrote the communist manifesto? Lmao jk

I had to say it even though it was off topic

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

#5 timpohladthomas

timpohladthomas

OSE DEVELOPER

• Developer
  • 1,428 posts
  • Twitter:@timpohladthomas
  • Current Device(s):MOTO X

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:22 PM

That was a good read. Thank you.

PDbEXCr.png

Thank Zoo/Owain for my Awesome Sig! If you want to support the Build Server that helps keep OSE going, Click HERE!

#6 jco23

jco23

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Razr M (XT907)

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:54 AM

I face a weird situation. I've been a Romming and themeing enthusiast for many years now. Mostly it's been from necessity; to overcome the limitations of inferior devices or poor programming. I have had my RAZR M for several days now and I can't find anything about it I would need to change. I'm not sure what to do with that.

I have love Motorola's blur theme since ICS. It was like they read my mind developing it. Every theme I had previously attempted was getting me closer to what Moto put out. JB furthered that sensibility and added the quickness and feel that was lacking in previous versions.

The dual 1.5 CPU is more than adequate for my usage needs, in fact the 1.2 of the Bionic was more than enough. I love the feel of this phone. I love the Kevlar on my fingers, the aluminum in my hand, the Gorilla glass I'm gliding on. It feels like a proper smart phone. I have a shell case for it, that I simply don't want to use. It's light and smallish and thin.

I was a huge fan of Flying Jelly. I have used CM10, CM9, MIUI, Redhead, Liquid, AOKP, Blackbean, Liberty, Gummy, Apex, Simply Stunning, CM7, and possibility one or two I can't remember. I simply can't find a reason to root or boot-crack this phone. I will admit I'm a Moto fanboy. I was the trainer for several years in the North American Technical Support center (not phones), so I may have a bit of bias. But my last 2 phones were Moto and they begged to be hacked!

It's weird, but I'm holding off for now. Maybe if something really revolutionary comes out I'll make the leap, but for now.... I simply love this phone.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta (edited on my computer)

i concur with the other posters here (and with everything you said too).

however, my reason for rooting was to remove the bloat ware in order to create more space, reduce lag, increase performance, increase battery life, and reduce data output.  another added benefit is to get on the latest version of android.

this is the reason why I choose android over iPhone - I can customize the device to my liking.

• marxman3 likes this

Device: Motorola Droid Razr M (XT907)

ROM: OSE KitKat 4.4.2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users