• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#21 kaplac

kaplac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:54 AM

From my basic understanding of how these upgrades work. I think using this method for .85 may also work. I can't say with any degree of certainty but you are welcome to try if you wish.

Just want to clarify, If you are going to try this on a .85 bricked phone you're going to want to be updating to .85 files in recovery not .84 files.

#22 kboss805

kboss805

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Google+:kevin.bossoletti

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:53 AM

The basic premise is that you are reapplying the OTA to get back to 6.14.X. I would assume that if you started with 6.14.85 before you bricked the phone that if you follow the procedures with the 6.14.85 OTA it should work.

#23 EmericanX

EmericanX

Developer

• Developer
  • 1,027 posts
  • Twitter:@EmericanX
  • LocationPrince George, VA

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

Just want to clarify, If you are going to try this on a .85 bricked phone you're going to want to be updating to .85 files in recovery not .84 files.

Ehh.. I'm upgrading! Lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

#24 (TSON)

(TSON)

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

Could I maybe do this... to go from .84 to psuedo-.181 to .85? Because if so... When the official ICS OTA comes out, we could go .85 to psuedo-.181 to OTA...? (Or do so to get on future leaks?)

This is clever thinking. Nice job!

#25 _base2

_base2

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

Could I maybe do this... to go from .84 to psuedo-.181 to .85? Because if so... When the official ICS OTA comes out, we could go .85 to psuedo-.181 to OTA...? (Or do so to get on future leaks?)

This is clever thinking. Nice job!

Exactly my thought process as well. If we can mix update pkgs b/t the pseudo-181, we can force the OTA.

Has anyone confirmed upgrading using this method from 84 to 85?

Really someone with a brick should try it... :-P lol

[ 43V3R IC3'd on .84 ]
[ sent from _base2 ]

#26 EmericanX

EmericanX

Developer

• Developer
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

I'll let you know in a few. theoretically it should work just fine. Both .84 and .85 update off of the .181 system so it really shouldn't matter which one you flash after restoring the .181. But then again like I said I'll let you know how it goes.
  • (TSON) likes this

#27 EmericanX

EmericanX

Developer

• Developer
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

Exactly my thought process as well. If we can mix update pkgs b/t the pseudo-181, we can force the OTA.

Has anyone confirmed upgrading using this method from 84 to 85?

Really someone with a brick should try it... :-P lol

[ 43V3R IC3'd on .84 ]

one step ahead of you ;)

#28 kaplac

kaplac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

We've got our 4th confirmation by Alex.Abraham!

TSON, _base, Emerican, I don't think there should be any problems in the way. The only concerns that I might have is the firmware not updating.

.85 has an updated kernel (and 3g radio?). I guess we'll see what happens after Emerican finishes :)

#29 Alex.Abraham

Alex.Abraham

Droid Master

• Superuser
  • 477 posts
  • Twitter:aabraham123456
  • Google+:aabraham123456@gmail.com
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:04 PM

I can confirm that this method works!!!

Here is what i did and had to do:

I had a working .84 on my Razr and i tried fastbooting back to .173 (obviously didnt work.) My phone had the motorolla logo and then nothing. I downloaded the .181 fastboot files and flashed them onto my phone. I let Matt's utility reboot my phone and it automatically rebooted into recovery to finish the flash. At this point i was at the motorolla logo and then black screen stage. Then i powered down the phone (Vol buttons + power button), let go of all buttons and hit power and both vol buttons to get into recovery. Then i took out the external SD card from my phone and put it in another phone and connected it to my comp. That way i was able to transfer the same files that i originally used to upgrade from .181 to .84 onto the external sd. I then put the SD back in the RAZR and selected apply update from external SD. This part took 10 min and at the end it said installation aborted. I powered down the phone and reboot into recovery again. Hit apply update from external SD and selected same file. This time it took a bit shorter and said Installation Complete at the end. I held down the power + both vol buttons and reboot into a working .84!!!!

I then ran through the setup which automatically activated my phone on my 4g connection and is now working as it was before this whole mess

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH KBOSS!!!!!!!!
Posted Image

#30 DarkOverDroid

DarkOverDroid

DROIDOSAPIEN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Twitter:@DarkOverDroid
  • Google+:DarkOverDroid@gmail.com
  • LocationMobile, Al
  • Current Device(s):DROID RAZR MAXX HD, DROID RAZR MAXX, iPhone 4, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (WiFi) 7" Acer Iconia Tab A-100 (Wifi)

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

This is what happenes when people come together! Glad to hear some bricks coming back from the pile. :)
  • robthefive0 likes this
Posted Image

#31 kaplac

kaplac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

We really need more people to test this!

If you have a bricked phone because of fastbooting .84 then try this and let us know if it works!

If you don't have a way to get the .84 install files on your sd card there are lots of devices and readers available that use this same sd card type. Search around your house you might have one that will work. If not, you can always go out and buy an card reader... way cheaper than a new razr.

#32 loonie01

loonie01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:22 PM

I'm just going to leave my phone on the .84 leak until the final ICS is released. It runs to smoothly to mess with it right now. I am glad that people are getting their phones unbricked.
  • robthefive0 likes this

#33 Thach

Thach

Motorola Fanboy

• Administrator
  • 2,364 posts
  • Twitter:thach2639
  • Google+:Thach26
  • LocationGrand Forks ND
  • Current Device(s):OG Droid, Droid X, Droid X2, Droid Razr, Droid Bionic, Droid Xyboard 8.2, Nexus 7

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

With all the bricked phones, you would think people would jump on this. I mean hell, what have you got to lose. Come on people, give it a try and report in. This sounds very very promising and needs support.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Thach%20Admin%20device%20list.png

#34 EmericanX

EmericanX

Developer

• Developer
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

No good so far on my end.. lol. update fails... I'm getting 2 different faults both with error 7 so I'm gonna try to redownload. I've had linux do some screwy things while moving files around. I'm hoping the zip is just corrupted.

assert failed:file_getprop................ so on so forth

second:

assert failed: mount("ext3", "MTD", "system", "/system")

both end with.

E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(status 7)

oh an btw this happens just after it starts try to varifying package.

#35 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

This worked for me 100%. I am / was on 6.14.85. Here is a link for the update to 6.14.85 for those who somehow removed it from their phone:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Best of luck to everyone else! I am unbricked, so can you!
  • _base2 and nailbomb3 like this

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#36 Alex.Abraham

Alex.Abraham

Droid Master

• Superuser
  • 477 posts
  • Twitter:aabraham123456
  • Google+:aabraham123456@gmail.com
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

Anyone who is missing the .84 update zip can download it from my site

Posted Image

#37 _base2

_base2

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:02 PM

This worked for me 100%. I am / was on 6.14.85. Here is a link for the update to 6.14.85 for those who somehow removed it from their phone:

Glad to see you're running again matt :)
[ sent from _base2 ]

#38 kaplac

kaplac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

No good so far on my end.. lol. update fails... I'm getting 2 different faults both with error 7 so I'm gonna try to redownload. I've had linux do some screwy things while moving files around. I'm hoping the zip is just corrupted.

sucks... keep us updated

Btw: Mattlgroff is number 5/10 unique confirmations! Only need 5 more before it's official

#39 Thach

Thach

Motorola Fanboy

• Administrator
  • 2,364 posts
  • Twitter:thach2639
  • Google+:Thach26
  • LocationGrand Forks ND
  • Current Device(s):OG Droid, Droid X, Droid X2, Droid Razr, Droid Bionic, Droid Xyboard 8.2, Nexus 7

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

Great seeing ya back in action and congrats to everyone else that got it to work. Best of luck to anyone that tries.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Thach%20Admin%20device%20list.png

#40 kboss805

kboss805

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Google+:kevin.bossoletti

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

assert failed:file_getprop................ so on so forth

second:

assert failed: mount("ext3", "MTD", "system", "/system")

both end with.

E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(status 7)

oh an btw this happens just after it starts try to varifying package.

EmericanX, You probably already doing this, but make sure you are trying to update from "pseudo .181". if you try to recover while running a bricked version of.173 you'll get "file_getprop" error because 6.14.84 requires .181 to be installed on the device.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users