#1 GooeyGungan

GooeyGungan

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr, Droid X2

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:40 PM

I recently did a factory reset on my Droid Razr in the hopes of speeding it up, and then restored the Text Messaging app + data from the backup I'd made using Titanium Backup, hoping it would restore my old text messages (it didn't, but I'll live). However, now every time I restart my phone, the Text Messaging app is nowhere to be found. I have to restore it using Titanium Backup every time, and then it will work until the phone is restarted again. The messaging apk is in /system/app, and I have tried using that apk to reinstall the app, but it simply says "Installation failed." Also, Titanium Backup says "(updated)" next to the text messaging app in its backup list - I don't know if that is relevant, but it may be.

Is there a way I can get this app back for good? I'd really love to avoid doing another factory reset.

#2 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

Are you completely stock or running a custom ROM ?

tapadriving.....hillbilly style

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#3 GooeyGungan

GooeyGungan

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:54 PM

Totally stock, other than having rooted my phone.

#4 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:57 PM

Since you have already done a FDR.... maybe try running Matt's utility and restore complete stock..... sounds like something has partially corrupted your /system .....

jhf.png

#5 GooeyGungan

GooeyGungan

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

Well, the thing is, the app was working before the FDR, and I think it was the fact that I restored the app using titanium backup that messed it up. I have not tried a FDR since I started having this problem.

#6 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:29 PM

I am thinking like Hillbilly you should use the Utility not just do a FDR. Your problem I think occurred because messaging is a system app and by rule you should never restore any system apps or data. Regular apps plus data is fine but system stuff will always give you headaches.

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#7 GooeyGungan

GooeyGungan

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:36 PM

If I have an old safestrap backup, can I use that instead?

#8 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:38 PM

Sure can as long as it was before your issues.

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#9 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:38 PM

I would run the utility ...... the re root install safestrap then you can use your backup (as long as its from the same version of safestrap (as to not run into more problems)......

Edit..... I guess I am more inclined to just run the utility when something in /system gets messed up..... then you can be sure no "corrupted crap" is still hanging around

• Memnoch73 likes this

jhf.png

#10 prstorero

prstorero

SuperThemerDevGuy

• Developer
  • 838 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:17 PM

Memnoch is correct, never restore system apps with titanium backup, you will almost always have issues in some shape or form. Since you are stock, if no one can provide their stock messaging apk, you will have to do the restore for it to function properly. The messages were not restored because they are actually stored in the telephony apk, but i wouldn't try restoring that either lol. There are apps on the play store that can back up your messages for you. I believe even TB has a sms back up option that should work. 

#11 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:37 PM

To back up your MMS and SMS (without an extra app) you can use a root explorer or adb shell (i use root explorer) and navigate to /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases and copy the mmssms.db to another location ...... when you have finished with FDR or fastboot or whatever you are doing that may erase your SMS MMS you can restore the mmssmd.db to the same location and all your SMS MMS should be restored :)

jhf.png

#12 GooeyGungan

GooeyGungan

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

Memnoch is correct, never restore system apps with titanium backup, you will almost always have issues in some shape or form. Since you are stock, if no one can provide their stock messaging apk, you will have to do the restore for it to function properly. The messages were not restored because they are actually stored in the telephony apk, but i wouldn't try restoring that either lol. There are apps on the play store that can back up your messages for you. I believe even TB has a sms back up option that should work. 

Do you know where I might get a stock messaging apk? What should I do with it, supposing I get my hands on one? Just run it? I've tried running the apks I have from my Titanium backup and from the system/app directory, but those both give me a "Installation failed" message.

Also, my safestrap backup might be from an earlier version of android (4.0, maybe). Is that okay?

#13 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

There is stock messaging app .... use root explorer and copy/paste to /system/app ..... set permissions to rw--r--r .... boot into ss wipe dalvik and cache .... reboot :) should reinstall it

The ss backup may not work from an earlier version ...... since we can't downgrade back to 4.0 I would assume downgraded backups will not work as well

jhf.png

#14 GooeyGungan

GooeyGungan

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:52 PM

Okay, that seems to have done it. Thanks so much, hillbilly!

#15 iamhugger

iamhugger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Locationsouth dakota
  • Current Device(s):droid razr

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:51 PM

There is stock messaging app .... use root explorer and copy/paste to /system/app ..... set permissions to rw--r--r .... boot into ss wipe dalvik and cache .... reboot :) should reinstall it

The ss backup may not work from an earlier version ...... since we can't downgrade back to 4.0 I would assume downgraded backups will not work as well

Do you think it would be ok to install this on droid3 stock slot still running Android Version 2.3.4??

#16 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:09 PM

Okay, that seems to have done it. Thanks so much, hillbilly!

No problem..... anytime :) glad that got it
:)

Do you think it would be ok to install this on droid3 stock slot still running Android Version 2.3.4??
You could absolutely give it a shot.... :) can't hurt to try..... the worst it will do is crash on reboot and you would have to re install your stock droid 3 app :)

jhf.png

#17 iamhugger

iamhugger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Locationsouth dakota

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:46 PM

@johnthehillbilly- Hey bud, gunna try updating her 2.3.4 with this.. Are you sure that i will NOT cause a bootloop when rebooting stock after install? Not a good feeling when that happens.. Dont think i have seen a utility to restore 2.3.4, do you know of one? Took me about 2hrs just to find a "still working link" to download from so i could root this droid3.. Also i made a back up of stock rom slot and activated slot1 to restore stock there to do this but only gives me black screen after i flash and reboot..Have to pull battery..Any suggestions besides getting rid of 2.3.4? Cause that is not an option.. Ty

well dont matter anyhow says parse error, not sure if I should add apk to system apps and change permissions via root explorer, pretty much every system app is blur

#18 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:43 AM

@johnthehillbilly- Hey bud, gunna try updating her 2.3.4 with this.. Are you sure that i will NOT cause a bootloop when rebooting stock after install? Not a good feeling when that happens.. Dont think i have seen a utility to restore 2.3.4, do you know of one? Took me about 2hrs just to find a "still working link" to download from so i could root this droid3.. Also i made a back up of stock rom slot and activated slot1 to restore stock there to do this but only gives me black screen after i flash and reboot..Have to pull battery..Any suggestions besides getting rid of 2.3.4? Cause that is not an option.. Ty

well dont matter anyhow says parse error, not sure if I should add apk to system apps and change permissions via root explorer, pretty much every system app is blur

You can get the sbf files for the droid 3 here

Then you can use rsd lite to restore if it goes bad :)

jhf.png

#19 iamhugger

iamhugger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Locationsouth dakota

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:56 AM

i was reading i dont think a non-stock messaging app is gunna give me what i want anyhow. Tried a few popular ones on market got some result as stock. Just trying to get text messaging to a point that allows you to send a 10 second or longer video..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users