15 replies to this topic

#1 (TSON)

(TSON)

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:24 AM

I personally think it's the ugliest phone I've seen in a long time, in both software and hardware. TouchWiz is busier than ever and heavier than ever, the touch sounds are obnoxious to say the least, the lock screen is trying too hard... And hardware... To me it looks like a bigger Vibrant. The Vibrant is butt ugly. Shiny plastic is not doing it for me.

I'm liking the NFC/Eye-tracking/Quad-core but honestly it's so ugly it's not even worth it imo. What do you think?

#2 phatdaddyz01

phatdaddyz01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

I agree, but I think the Gnex is ugly too.

#3 bokajay

bokajay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:46 AM

Agree with you for the most part. I think it has some innovations we might see in the next Nexus since the rumor is Samsung will have it once again. My biggest issue with Touchwiz is how big the fonts are. I thought with a 720p resolution they would scale those down but it looks worst than the SGII. That is why I love Motoblur ICS. Have my fonts set at the smallest setting and everything looks great. I will most likely get the next Nexus or a Moto that has Quadcore+LTE on same chip if the Nexus doesn't have that (i'd be surprised if it didn't).

#4 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:44 PM

So the vibe on the internets seems to be a resounding MEH... I just don't get the home button. 2006 called and it wants it's iph*ne home button back. I freaking hate Touch(myself)wiz. What a horrible overlay. As for specs it's not much of a jump from the SII. They must be following *pple in their minute upgrades. Of course the US version will not have the quad core. No word if Verizon will even carry this.

As for design it seems like nobody can have an original idea. This looks like every other phone including the HTC One X. Coming from the Thunderbolt I thought the Razr design was quite stellar. And I'm happy with the minimal Blur in ICS...

All that hype for a meh reaction. Bummer for Samsung....

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#5 phatdaddyz01

phatdaddyz01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:45 PM

I understand the "it can't look like an iPhone" concept, but why model it after a bar of Dove soap?
  • bokajay and (TSON) like this

#6 (TSON)

(TSON)

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:45 PM

I understand the "it can't look like an iPhone" concept, but why model it after a bar of Dove soap?

LOOOOOL WHAT

#7 bokajay

bokajay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:52 PM

Interested to see what the US version will look like. If it comes out on Verizon or Sprint first it will definitely have a redesign. I have a feeling that this will be Droid branded if on Verzion. They haven't done a Droid Galaxy yet or Galaxy Droid?

#8 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:05 PM

Interested to see what the US version will look like. If it comes out on Verizon or Sprint first it will definitely have a redesign. I have a feeling that this will be Droid branded if on Verzion. They haven't done a Droid Galaxy yet or Galaxy Droid?

Nah... I don't see this as a Droid. I think Samsung thinks of the Galaxy series as the Droid series is to Moto (although Htc has a few Droids). I doubt we have a redesign either. If Verizon gets it I think it will be pushed to late summer/Fall and of course have a dual core processor.

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#9 Mazler420

Mazler420

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationButler, PA

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:06 AM

If Samsung can get the Quad-core to play nice with LTE im so in with this phone. If not I guess I'll buy the razr conversion kit.

#10 koreanschoolkid

koreanschoolkid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:54 AM

Personally thought the SGS3 was beautiful. I upgraded from a Verizon Fascinate and I've been raging ever since. I don't think the Razr Maxx is a bad phone but I consider Motorola to be a bad company and the inability to remove my battery only reminds me of the years I spent ridiculing iPhone users for that exact problem. Touchwiz rightly earns the ire of many users but it can easily be mitigated by even noobs like me by just using a different launcher. After that you are more or less only left with the pulldown toggles which MotoBlur seems to think is an unnecessary bit of flair.
Frankly I find the Razr/Razr Maxx to be hideous in design but I simply had no other options when purchasing a new phone as the Rezound died too quickly and the Galaxy Nexus had no storage expansion but consistently inconsistent wifi at Rutgers necessitated the use of LTE.

Obviously I'm going to be in the minority on this site but that is my position and I'm sticking to it. Once the SGS3 hits Verizon then hopefully I'll have a chance to sell the Maxx and move back home.
I do like Gingerbread though...
Thank you again to nitroglycerine33 for letting me mooch.

#11 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:18 AM

Personally thought the SGS3 was beautiful. I upgraded from a Verizon Fascinate and I've been raging ever since. I don't think the Razr Maxx is a bad phone but I consider Motorola to be a bad company and the inability to remove my battery only reminds me of the years I spent ridiculing iPhone users for that exact problem. Touchwiz rightly earns the ire of many users but it can easily be mitigated by even noobs like me by just using a different launcher. After that you are more or less only left with the pulldown toggles which MotoBlur seems to think is an unnecessary bit of flair.
Frankly I find the Razr/Razr Maxx to be hideous in design but I simply had no other options when purchasing a new phone as the Rezound died too quickly and the Galaxy Nexus had no storage expansion but consistently inconsistent wifi at Rutgers necessitated the use of LTE.

Obviously I'm going to be in the minority on this site but that is my position and I'm sticking to it. Once the SGS3 hits Verizon then hopefully I'll have a chance to sell the Maxx and move back home.
I do like Gingerbread though...
Thank you again to nitroglycerine33 for letting me mooch.

I'm not so much opposed to the look of the III, but I have learned well to never buy another phone manufactured by Samsung. I put build quality and radio quality as my top priorities. I end up with Motorola -> HTC -> iPhone being the only three options, with only the first two being worth paying for.

#12 koreanschoolkid

koreanschoolkid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:33 AM

As far as build quality goes:
My "plasticky" SGS1 has survived:
1. more drops onto concrete/asphalt than I can remember
2. constant fluctuations in humidity from my using it in the shower room
3. 18 months worth of banging the screen on the table to demonstrate the issues with the current iPhone 4/4s screen glass
4. several fits of rage where I threw it across the room after realising that MIUI seemed to make wifi connections break on my phone only. Still have not figured that one out yet...

Radio quality has me at the same reception as my friends' Motorola phones (2 Droid 3, 2 Razr Maxx) and my brother's old Inc. My brother's current Rezound actually gets better 3g/4g connections than either the Fascinate or the Razr Maxx. Testing done in order to stave off boredom at school with the Pantech Breakout (yeah. THAT one. I know. Someone really did buy it.) had me getting a full 5mbps slower speed on 4g than the Breakout in a test conducted next to a window and then after class, outdoors. Basically what I'm trying to say is that I don't think any of these companies are particularly better or worse than the others. Hits and Misses appear to be the name of the game for android handset makers and it isn't fair at all to judge the SGS3 based on prior bad experiences. If I did had done that then I would've never gone with the phone I have now as experiences with friends' Droid X (my favorite of the bunch), Droid 1-3 and an Atrix would have long turned me away from trying out the Razr Maxx due to a nightmarish experience rooting a Droid 3, terrible keyboard quality on the Droid 1/2. Overall experiences with the X and Atrix were much nicer though except that both had severely cracked screens.

#13 benefit14snake

benefit14snake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:17 PM

I am VERY interested in the dual core version. I have a quad tegra 3 in my tablet and its super super super fast (i have the top score in antutu @ 14628) but it drains battery hella quick when using all four cores, even with the dock attached which is basically 2x razr maxx battery I believe. If the dual core is similar in speed but has almost as much battery as my maxx it will be a hella winner. I mean almost as fast as the quad exynos.
Sent from my Axiom MAXX!!

#14 STiK

STiK

STiK in the Mud

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA
  • Current Device(s):LG Nexus 4

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

Who is putting STiKs up my arse????? :P

#15 STiK

STiK

STiK in the Mud

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA
  • Current Device(s):LG Nexus 4

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:01 PM

Umm why did my post above get moved from it's own topic in General to this thread? How is it even relevant to this discussion? lol

#16 _base2

_base2

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:52 AM

Umm why did my post above get moved from it's own topic in General to this thread? How is it even relevant to this discussion? lol

It's just as relevant here as it would be anywhere else... lol oh snap :-P

[ pull this thread as I walk away... ]
[ sent from _base2 ]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users