#1 pov

pov

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Current Device(s):Razr M

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:39 AM

First of all this is my first smartphone. And all this is new to me. Im a computer guy and I want to get all I can from my phone.

So I rooted my Razr M. Installed a couple apps.. Root checker, from what i tell just tells me I rooted my phone. And Rom Toolbox, which i used to stop and uninstall a few apps I would never use. And thats what I've done so far.

Now to my questions..

1. From what I understand  if you uninstall defualt apps, you can't update your phone when an new Android version comes out. So should I have not uninstalled those apps? And if so what should I do to get them back?

2. ROM's.. I looked at a few, and Im still undecided. I downloaded safestrap onto my pc. What all do I have to do to install a new rom? I was looking at the DeadRage rom and it says Mount Everything, Wipe Everything (cache, dalvik cache, factory reset, system) TWICE, Reboot Recovery, Mount Everything Again, Flash, Reboot, Profit.

Do I have to do all this? If so, Do I go down the list?

I may think of others but for now those 2 only ones I remember at the moment.

#2 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:43 AM

Moving to RAZR M general :)

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#3 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

Since you have the m I would not use safestrap . Instead I would unlock your boot loader while you can. While it is true that if you remove stock apps, you may lose the ability to take an OTA update, there are other means to install them.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#4 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:51 AM

Ok.... as far as the uninstalled apps... when an ota updsate comes out you can use Matt's utility...

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

To go back to stock so no worries there :)

Edited to not repeat kaos LOL :)

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#5 pov

pov

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

Since you have the m I would not use safestrap . Instead I would unlock your boot loader while you can. While it is true that if you remove stock apps, you may lose the ability to take an OTA update, there are other means to install them.

So I unlocked the bootloader. Found the thread to get rid of the warning message on reboot.

Is safestrap not compatible with the m?

Ok.... as far as the uninstalled apps... when an ota updsate comes out you can use Matt's utility...

To go back to stock so no worries there :)

Edited to not repeat kaos LOL :)

I downloaded that and will save that for later, thanks

#6 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:30 PM

So I unlocked the bootloader. Found the thread to get rid of the warning message on reboot.

Is safestrap not compatible with the m?

I downloaded that and will save that for later, thanks

SS is designed to be used with a locked boot loader. Install a true recovery like CWM or TWRP.
  • johnthehillbilly and brandon71 like this

R. Long: Pixel 5

#7 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:11 PM

Twrp is what safe strap was modeled after, so if you are familiar with that, then it will be familiar too. Once you have a recovery installed, be sure to make a full backup before flashing so you have a fall back. Its always a good idea to keep your original backup in multiple locations in case you have problems down the road.
  • RikRong and pov like this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#8 pov

pov

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:26 PM

What do I do with the twrp.iso? I put it in my phones download dir for now. I tried the vol -, +, and power to bring up the fastboot/recovery options i used to see, but all I see now is the bootloader warning.

edit: Finally installed twrp with the droid utility. created a couple backups of the stock rom, 1 on sd, other on pc.

#9 jco23

jco23

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Razr M (XT907)

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:12 AM

What do I do with the twrp.iso? I put it in my phones download dir for now. I tried the vol -, +, and power to bring up the fastboot/recovery options i used to see, but all I see now is the bootloader warning.

edit: Finally installed twrp with the droid utility. created a couple backups of the stock rom, 1 on sd, other on pc.

TWRP is used to install (flash) a new ROM.  as you have found out, it can also be used to backup current ROMs.

just a tip, when installing a new ROM (e.g. going from 4.1.2 to 4.2.2 or vice versa), it's always best to wipe system first (I even wipe data/factory reset); when updating a new ROM (i.e. staying on the same version), most folks just wipe cache/dalvik.

in all cases, I always wipe cache/dalvik (even when installing a mod).  however, you should follow the instructions that the OP made.

keep in mind that are numerous ROMs available - in both flavors: Jelly Bean 4.1.2 and 4.2.2

there is a "clean stock" ROM fo 4.1.2 on XDA, so that's always a good ROM to save to your SD card (also has a "reboot to recovery" option on the power menu).

the 4.2.2 ROMs are still being worked on and will have some bugs, but they are very stable and can be used as a daily driver.  I'd suggest to read through the threads of each ROM to see what folks are posting about before making your decision on which ROM to use.

the main advantage of the 4.2.2 ROM over the 4.1.2 is customization and addition of a few more features.  however, battery life will be slightly lower than stock, but still good enough to get you through the day.

BTW, you can delete SS, as it is no longer needed for this device (especially since you have alreay unlocked your bootloader).

hope this helps.  again - please be sure to read through all of the threads (I know it's a lot, but it will save you a lot of time and trouble).

• neckchop, livinginkaos and pov like this

Device: Motorola Droid Razr M (XT907)

ROM: OSE KitKat 4.4.2

#10 pov

pov

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

Thanks, that answered a few questions.

I did a factory reset each time, for root and unlocking bootloader. Got the stock rom saves put away.

Should I reset the cache and dalvik data? Or just wait and do that if I find a rom I wanna install/flash?

Also my phone is on 4.1.2.. was there an update to 4.2.2? or is that a community made update?

#11 brandon71

brandon71

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Google+:tbd7171@gmail.com
  • LocationKodak, TN
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr M

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:02 PM

I did a factory reset each time, for root and unlocking bootloader. Got the stock rom saves put away.

Should I reset the cache and dalvik data? Or just wait and do that if I find a rom I wanna install/flash?

Also my phone is on 4.1.2.. was there an update to 4.2.2? or is that a community made update?

4.1.2 was a official update the 4.2.2 you will see on here are open source stuff made from scratch mostly

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

#12 jco23

jco23

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Razr M (XT907)

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

wiping cache/dalvik is good to do in general (whether flashing a new rom/mod or not) once a week or so to clean out the cob webs.  so while doing a system reset/factory data wipe automatically clears cache/dalvik, it never hurts to wipe them in general.

Device: Motorola Droid Razr M (XT907)

ROM: OSE KitKat 4.4.2

#13 pov

pov

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:40 PM

Alright, after reading through a few roms here and on XDA I ended up going with FlyingJelly.

Went ahead and followed the install guide from Deadrage and what seemed less than 4 mins I was going through the setup wizard. Everything looks good so far.

• jco23 and brandon71 like this

#14 pov

pov

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:29 AM

Quick update, twrp is amazing, I've messed up an install of flyingjelly. I tried multiple flash and it was a no go, endless boot screen. But with a wipe and fresh install its all good again.

Messed around with a few themes found none I like. Want some more clean. And the pie bar for the navigation buttons is sexy.. I want lol

• livinginkaos likes this

#15 pmbasehore

pmbasehore

geek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Google+:gplus.to/pmbasehore
  • Current Device(s):Motorola RAZR M running PACman 4.3, ASUS TF101 running KatKiss 4.2.2

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

If you want the pie bar, you can either flash PACman ROM (what I use on my RAZR M)

Or download the LMT Launcher app (I use this on my tablet)

Enjoy!

• pov likes this

Droid Razr M, running OSE 4.4

Transformer TF101, running KatKiss 4.3

#16 pov

pov

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:31 PM

Reading PACman it says its 4.2.2.. at least thats what I think it says. Can I flash that rom and its gapps while on 4.1.2?

#17 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:40 PM

Reading PACman it says its 4.2.2.. at least thats what I think it says. Can I flash that rom and its gapps while on 4.1.2?

Yes, provided you have unlocked your bootloader.  PAC has its own kernel, so you can flash over 4.1.2.  Just make sure you get a GPS lock on your stock ROM before flashing, otherwise you might not get lock on PAC. Also, make sure you make a backup of your stock ROM, prior to flashing anything else. 

• jco23 and pov like this

R. Long: Pixel 5

#18 pov

pov

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:52 PM

Thanks, will give it a go after my phone charges.

#19 pov

pov

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

I like PACman so far... BUT.... It doesnt restore my contacts.. and after creating a contact I cant edit or add more info to it, spent damn near the whole lunch break trying to add my buddies number to my phone.  Going back to flyingjelly for now.. I can deal with bugs and errors. but not that again.. ever lol

#20 brandon71

brandon71

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Google+:tbd7171@gmail.com
  • LocationKodak, TN
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr M

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:34 PM

Backup your contacts with Google and restore them. Pac or any aosp doesn't have any of the Verizon backup methods I could backup and restore contacts with Pac when I used it

• neckchop, pmbasehore, RikRong and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users