6 replies to this topic

#1 jayjaypops

jayjaypops

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:06 AM

hello there forum, my first post here, but have been a memeber for a while.

anyways, i had a quick question.

would it be possible to make the Razr save everything (screenshots, downloads, apps like picsart, instagram camera, etc...) to the external SD card?

when i use the camera, in settings, it gives me the choice of where i want to save the photos i take. my problem is, everytime i edit a picture in picsart, or snapseed, or take a picture with the instagram camera, it saves directly to internal storage. which i dislike!

i am rooted and have experience with commands through adb sdk and im willing to figure out, even though these apps dont give you the option of where you want it to automatically save, would it be possible to make it redirect to external storage instead?

please help me!
thank you all in advance!
wonderful forum here and wonderful generous people and devs!

:D

#2 jayjaypops

jayjaypops

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:34 AM

bump? anyone?

#3 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

I know there is a way to swap which "card" is mounted as internal or external. But I don't recall the exact process. My recollection is you need to make some edits to volf.fstab but what those edits are, I do not recall. I'm sure someone does though. Or search for vold.fstab on here

• jayjaypops likes this

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#4 jayjaypops

jayjaypops

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:23 AM

I know there is a way to swap which "card" is mounted as internal or external. But I don't recall the exact process. My recollection is you need to make some edits to volf.fstab but what those edits are, I do not recall. I'm sure someone does though. Or search for vold.fstab on here

i just recently got my internet back up and installed. had a life situation i had to go through. i didnt get the chance to thank you for your quick response! thanks ill try my best to search and if i continue to have this problem. either im gonna renew my rom and build or just live with it. thanks again

and for all the do know how to do this. please feel free to come and help out in this post!

thanks all in advance!

#5 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Twitter:iBolski
  • Google+:Ivan Samuelson
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S7

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:22 AM

There is a hack somewhere but I must forewarn you that external SD cards have a limited lifespan when written to. I used to swap out and make my external the primary and it would fail after less than a year due to all the writing to it.

I can't remember where the fix is but it might be better to instead mount a directory on your external to the place on your internal.

I use an initd script that mounts various directories for me upon boot up. This way, I limit the writes and can extend the life of the card.

I've attached a screen shot of my script as an example.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

101.65KB   22 downloads

UPDATE: I don't really want to post this, but for those that like to live on the edge, here is the post explaining how to swap your internal and external SD cards. Remember, this is NOT a good idea as it WILL reduce the life-span of your external SD card as you write to it excessively. I'm speaking from experience as I lost two, yes, two 32gb SD cards because of this. I didn't know at the time that they had a limited lifespan when written to, but I do now.

Here's the link on swapping, but I REALLY suggest you do as I stated earlier. Just mount the directories you want from your external to your internal. I ensure that what I'm putting there is not getting written to a lot of times (other than when I take pictures). For example, I store game content there (downloaded content that is), my maps for CoPilot GPS app, camera pictures, music from Amazon, etc. Yes, they write to the SD card, but usually only once or sparingly, but not continuous writing.

Read post #3 for instructions. The link below should take you straight to that post:

Sent from my Droid RAZR under an Eclipse.

• tucstwo, livinginkaos and possnfiffer like this

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#6 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:10 AM

That's a good idea

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#7 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:46 AM

Agreed. The point about the lifespan of the mSD is becoming more of an issue lately too it seems. I'm not sure if it is because they have become more than just a storage place but at times serve as cache, or if the manufacturers are using lower quality stuff, but the lifespans have decreased in recent times. Thanks for sharing your script. Very good stuff! From My S4 Dev Edition

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users