Photo

Betrayed by our own data. What can you learn from mobile phone metadata?

Mobile Metadata collection T-mobile

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 eyecre8

eyecre8

Mod/News Team Leader

• 108 posts
  • Google+:eyecre8
  • LocationOhio/Florida
  • Current Device(s):2 Razr's (xt912) & Asus TF700T

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:29 AM

New astonishing Graphic Shows What You Can Learn From 6 Months Of Someone's Phone Metadata.

A German politician named Malte Spitz filed a suit against T-Mobile for the release of all the metadata from his phone that had been gathered and stored.
He received 35,830 records — six months worth — and then gave it to German newspaper ZEIT Online.

From ZEIT:

"We combined this geolocation data with information relating to his life as a politician,

such as Twitter feeds, blog entries and websites, all of which is all freely available on the internet.

By pushing the play button, you will set off on a trip through 6 months of Malte Spitz's life."

The result is astonishing to watch — a politician's daily movements, phone calls, text messages, and mobile Internet usage over months.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

64.36KB   74 downloads

Actual Interactive map found here: 

(just click on the red 'Play' symbol immediately below the map)

By pushing the play button, you will set off on a trip through Malte Spitz's life. You can interact with the map by zooming in to 
view details including cities, streets, buildings, etc while the demo plays. The speed controller allows you to adjust how fast you travel, the pause button will let you stop at interesting points. 
In addition, a calendar at the bottom shows when he was in a particular location and can be used to jump to a specific time period. Each column corresponds to one day.

It's important to note two things: First, this is only phone metadata — the National Security Agency (NSA) also reportedly collects bulk Internet metadata. Second, U.S. officials have said that the NSA chooses not collect location data of U.S. cell phones even though the Obama administration has argued in court that warrantlessly tracking locations of Americans' mobile devices is perfectly legal.

Here's what Spitz recently wrote in a New York Times op-ed:

"... now imagine if you had access to millions of similar data sets. You could easily draw maps, tracing communication and movement. You could see which individuals, families or groups were communicating with one another. You could identify any social group and determine its major actors."

That is precisely why the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) is suing the government for collecting the information in the first place, arguing that the phone metadata "gives the government a comprehensive record of our associations and public movements, revealing a wealth of detail about our familial, political, professional, religious, and intimate associations."

Indeed, the ZEIT graphic clearly shows public movements and corresponding communications (i.e. who Spitz is talking to). The ACLU argues that this type of dragnet surveillance "is not authorized by Section 215 [of the Patriot Act] and violates the First and Fourth Amendments."

Via:

• neckchop, satman80, rickw and 1 other like this
My name is Eyecre8 and I approve this message!
Posted Image

#2 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:30 AM

Man, you are on fire today!  I feel sooo informed !

• satman80 and eyecre8 like this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#3 eyecre8

eyecre8

Mod/News Team Leader

• 108 posts
  • Google+:eyecre8
  • LocationOhio/Florida
  • Current Device(s):2 Razr's (xt912) & Asus TF700T

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:42 AM

I could have probably made another article out of this, but I'll let it stand for itself.

For any of the techies out there that care to experiment/test their mobile phones and apps...  here is an incredible write up showing how to use a number of free tools such as proxies, vm images, and sniffers

to capture and analyze the data coming in and going out of your phone:

The article in itself is an eye opener about all of the data that Motorola is collecting from you on various Motorola model phones.

• satman80, livinginkaos and jl90 like this
My name is Eyecre8 and I approve this message!
Posted Image

#4 jl90

jl90

\m/

• Developer
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Az.
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6 64GB, RAZR HD Maxx

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:35 PM

There is such a fine line between convenience and subjugation. we all obviously love our phones but the actions of various government and corporate entities should make us all a little concerned. Another great job man!! Thumbs way up on this!
  • neckchop and eyecre8 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mobile Metadata collection, T-mobile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users