[How-To] Create a ROM or Theme Thread

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:26 AM

So........ you got a ROM or a Theme and you're about to post it. Only problem is, you've never started a ROM or Theme thread before so you don't know how it should look. Maybe you did post one and just never got any replies to it? Well you've come to the right place! I'm going to help you actually draw people to your ROM or Theme by helping you make one of the most outstanding ROM or Theme OP's!

First thing you're going to need is a good title for your ROM or Theme. Try to think of something personal to YOU. Make the name of the ROM or Theme fit your style. Also if you're posting a Theme, try to include the main color of the Theme into the name.  For a ROM example, I'm known for having a teeny little bit of a temper lol. So my main ROM series is called "Rage Rom."

Next you're going to need a logo. This is easy if you're making a CM, AOKP, PAC, or Paranoid based ROM, just use their logo. Make it big and make it at the very top of the OP. If you're posting a Theme, make the logo incorporate the name of the Theme in it, and make the logo around the name. Or just some nice looking text of the ROM or Theme name looks very nice.

Next you're going to want a short description of your ROM or Theme. Focus on a feature of the ROM or Theme, or maybe a special aspect of the ROM or Theme. A suggestion could be "A stock Touchwiz based ROM" or "Blue and Black Theme for xxxxxxxxx ROM."

Now you're going to need some graphics for your OP, these really make your OP pop and make people want to check it out. Some suggested graphics are for the following:

• "Credits"
  • "What Works?" (ROMs) "What's Themed" (Themes)
  • "Bugs?" (ROMs) "Still To Come" (Themes)
  • "Features" (ROMs Only)
  • "Install Instructions"
  • "Download"
  • "Screenshots"

Credits (ROMs and Themes)

Try to list ONLY the necessary people. Don't make a laundry list of people because you should actually want people to read this so they can see who else has some skills, that helped you out a long the way. If this list is too long, people will just skip over it, then the people you're trying to credit are just getting skimmed over.

What works? (ROMs Only)

Only list every feature here that works, if your ROM is not 100% working. If it is, simply put "everything." This way you give your users a visual of what exactly they can expect to be working.

What's Themed? (Themes Only)

List every apk that is themed. Then your users will know what to expect to be themed before they flash it.

Bugs? (ROMs Only)

List. Every. Bug. I can't stress this enough. It's so much easier to direct people to the OP for their questions or answers, and cuts down on you having to answer the same questions over and over.

Still To Come (Themes Only)

List what you're currently working on for the Theme. Then your users will know what's coming up.

Features (ROMs Only)

List every possible feature, the more you have listed, the more likely you are to get users, the more likely you are to get your name out there. 

Install Instructions (ROMs and Themes)

These are KEY! Make you sure you list EVERY STEP, step-by-step to install your ROM or Theme. This will avoid a lot of confusion. If you're posting a ROM, post the instructions for BOTH, fresh installs, and updates.

Download (ROMs and Themes)

This obviously is where you will put your link. There is also other information you can put here that will make your OP look even better. If you're posting a ROM, add the file size and the MD5 Sum. People will ask for these.

Screenshots (ROMs and Themes)

Holy crap the screenshots! People please, if you want to get your name out, and you want to have the best ROM or Theme out there, post some frickin screenshots lol! I can't even count how many threads I just skip over and don't even bother with because there are no screenshots. Most people want to see what they're flashing before they do so. Also, make the screenshots you post, ACCURATE! Don't post screenshots of your ROM after you've made your personal edits. People will ask why theirs doesn't look like that. Themes as well, do not post screenshots of your theme after you've made personal edits. If you do, make sure you annotate in the OP that "icons are not included" or something along those lines.

Also, I suggest putting the screenshots in Post 2. This leaves the actual OP less cluttered.

Lastly, and this goes for ROMs or Themes, either one. Post a changelog in the 3rd post. This will also cut down on questions such as "is xxxx fixed yet?" "Does this have xxxxxx feature in it?" Stuff like that. These can easily be answered by posting your "features," "bugs," and your "changelog."

Hope all this info helps some of the new people when they delve into the world of Android, and maybe even help the seasoned vets to have a nice looking OP! If it does, please click the "like this" button and let me know!

Over the years, I've gotten a lot of comments on my OP's for the way they're organized and how easy they are to read. If you would like to see a sample and use one as a template, please feel free to check out my Rage Rom S4E thread. Feel free to use copy/paste the OP, then just change everything around to your stuff :) (Credit to zooyork0721 for the graphics in my thread).

Thanks for taking the time to read this if you did. If you didn't, I hope you got enough out of it by skimming through. 

• rickw, usmcamgrimm, johnthehillbilly and 2 others like this

#2 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:40 AM

Outstanding :) well done sir:)

.... telekinectically tapped ....

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#3 rickw

rickw

corvette dude

• Administrator
  • 1,951 posts
  • Google+:rickwebb001@gmail.com
  • LocationDelaware
  • Current Device(s):S4 dev edition,moto x dev,Nexus 6

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:42 AM

WOW,great job Gary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users