• 108 posts
  • Google+:eyecre8
  • LocationOhio/Florida
  • Current Device(s):2 Razr's (xt912) & Asus TF700T

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:52 PM

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

22.32KB   36 downloads

A critical vulnerability that affects an estimated 99% of the Android devices now in operation could allow attackers to use exploit code to easily infect devices with a Trojanized version of a legitimate app.

Last week, researchers from Bluebox Security have made a disconcerting revelation: Google's Android mobile OS carries a critical bug that allows attackers to modify the code of any app
without breaking its cryptographic signature, and thusly allows them to stealthily plant malicious apps on legitimate app stores and users' phones. 

The demo, here

, occupies just 32 lines of shell script – it doesn't actually plant malware into the target code, it merely allows an app to masquerade under another app's identity.

Information about the flaw, which was discovered earlier this year, was shared with Google in February 2013, and has already been fixed. But the main problem is, as stated numerous times, that device manufacturers and carriers are unlikely to be very prompt in pushing out patched Android versions to users, and users of older devices already don't receive receive security updates.

The good news is that the bug hasn't, so far, been spotted being exploited in the wild, but that might soon change as security researcher Pau Oliva published has proof-of-concept code that can exploit it.

Oliva, who is a mobile security engineer at viaForensics, says that he has created the POC after reading details about the bug in a publicly available Cyanogenmod report. The developers of the popular modified Android firmware have already pushed out a patch for it.

Google maintains its advice that users should stay away from third-party Android app markets.

VIA:

My name is Eyecre8 and I approve this message!
Posted Image

#2 osnoozeo

osnoozeo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:57 AM

My beef with this is, they can modify and game or app in the play store, doesn't matter if it's 3rd party or not.

#3 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:24 AM

Bluebox Security that found this vulnerability released an app in the Play store to check your device. 

#4 eyecre8

eyecre8

Mod/News Team Leader

• 108 posts
  • LocationOhio/Florida

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:59 AM

As a follow up this:

'....Bluebox Security has released a free app designed to help

Android users check if their device has been patched for the
recently-disclosed “master key vulnerability” related to how Android
verifies the digital signatures of applications. .....'

The app scanner can be found here: 

Full article here: 

• RikRong likes this
Posted Image

#5 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:42 AM

Here is a fix for those ROM's that have not yet been patched.

#6 robocuff

robocuff

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:02 PM

Well, what does one say about this?  Only thing I can think of (and I know it doesn't really belong here but...) all the Microsoft bashers out there.  There's security issues in ever OS out there.  MS gets bashed constantly for their security holes but they patch them as soon as they come to light.  Or, pretty much so anyway.  Then they get bashed for all the updates the have to do.  We on Android get nothing.  Security hole discovered, never see an update.  Why no Android bashers?  I don't get it.

• eyecre8 likes this

#7 eyecre8

eyecre8

Mod/News Team Leader

• 108 posts
  • LocationOhio/Florida

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

Well, what does one say about this?  Only thing I can think of (and I know it doesn't really belong here but...) all the Microsoft bashers out there.  There's security issues in ever OS out there.  MS gets bashed constantly for their security holes but they patch them as soon as they come to light.  Or, pretty much so anyway.  Then they get bashed for all the updates the have to do.  We on Android get nothing.  Security hole discovered, never see an update.  Why no Android bashers?  I don't get it.

I'm pretty loyal to the Android platform more for its open source nature.

But in all truth, your point is a good one. As long as the developers of all of these OS's are human.. they will be flawed.

That said.... its still fun to bash Apple!  ;)   

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users