Photo

[Warning: Content May Be Disturbing] Woman Sustains Injuries from Exploding Galaxy S3

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 droidian1441

droidian1441

News Leader

• News Team Leader
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Device(s):HTC One M8 (primary); Nexus 7 (2013)

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:34 PM

Warning: The following content may be disturbing to read about and view pictures of. Decide now to view pictures of the exploded phone and injuries to a person.

An 18-year old woman was seriously injured after her phone, the famed Samsung Galaxy S3, exploded in her pants pocket at her place of employment. The extent of the damage both to the woman and the device are both serious, and Samsung Switzerland is currently investigating the incident.

Not much is known on what caused the device to explode, but what we do know is it was serious enough for the woman to be forced to have her pants cut completely off her in order to save her from receiving more serious damage to her thigh. 

Look below at the device itself: 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

22.46KB   349 downloads

Samsung Switzerland released a statement saying an investigation will take place and the device will go to Korea for a thorough examination:

"Once we have been able to contact this person, we will launch a thorough investigation to shed light on the accident and, in this context, what is left of the phone will probably be sent to Korea. [Samsung submits its products to] rigorous quality controls." -Mirjam Berger, spokesperson, Samsung Switzerland

Because of the fact this site has users as young as 13-14 years old, I will not post the pictures of the woman's injuries. They are available to view at the source link below if you wish to view them.

[Via:

]

• satman80 likes this

HTC One M8 // 3.28.605.4 // CleanROM 3.0 w/HarmonKardon audio // Android 4.4.4
n5SOtgv.jpg - "White Noise" out November 4th!
(Recommended)

#2 zooyork0721

zooyork0721

All Around Man

• Developer
  • 979 posts
  • Google+:gtalk/hangouts- zooyork0721
  • LocationNew York, NY
  • Current Device(s):OnePlus 8 Pro

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

whoa! damn thats insane

lr79yH0.png

en_app_rgb_wo_60.png

#3 Int_Rnd_Pooka

Int_Rnd_Pooka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Current Device(s):Bionic

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:53 AM

I agree that there's no need to look at the pictures to understand that the phone exploded and Samsung is looking into why. Looking at the pics doesn't raise awareness of any danger, it just makes for good rubbernecking. Thanks for being decent about it.

Very curious as to what happened and why

#4 Erisdroid?

Erisdroid?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Bionic

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:08 AM

That's crazy!

My wife just got a new Samsung Galaxy SIII, so I will be keeping a very close eye on it.

I have heard that after market third party batteries can do this. I'm NOT saying that's the case here, of course we don't know. Just something to keep in mind when getting a "great deal" on a second or replacement battery.

#5 portscan

portscan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Twitter:@JasonCollins23
  • LocationClarksville, TN
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S4- Stock Rooted on 4.3/Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1- Redemption Rom v6.1

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:14 PM

Probably the battery. You can see it in the picture. Doesn't take a fire marshall to tell it started on the battery.

• neckchop likes this
Posted Image

#6 robocuff

robocuff

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

Stuff happens guys (and girls).  Anything in life carries risks with it.  You could be jumping a car battery and have it explode in your face.  That said, the odds of this happening to you or me have to be astronomical considering how many cell phones are being used in this world.  I'm not losing any sleep over it.   ;)

• neckchop, Int_Rnd_Pooka and eyecre8 like this

#7 Int_Rnd_Pooka

Int_Rnd_Pooka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Current Device(s):Bionic

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:40 PM

Stuff happens guys (and girls).  Anything in life carries risks with it.  You could be jumping a care battery and have it explode in your face.  That said, the odds of this happening to you or me have to be astronomical considering how many cell phones are being used in this world.  I'm not losing any sleep over it.   ;)

I've actually had that happen. Fortunately, my face was moving away already and it only blew up all over my coat and the underside of the hood

#8 mikepahl318

mikepahl318

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Current Device(s):Droid Turbo 64GB, 2013 Nexus 7 32GB

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:24 PM

why is this still the top article?

Shes used some cheap 3rd party battery.

#9 zooyork0721

zooyork0721

All Around Man

• Developer
  • 979 posts
  • Google+:gtalk/hangouts- zooyork0721
  • LocationNew York, NY
  • Current Device(s):OnePlus 8 Pro

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:46 PM

Its not, its just the newest :)

lr79yH0.png

en_app_rgb_wo_60.png

#10 legend221

legend221

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Current Device(s):Motorola RAZR HD

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:46 PM

That's why I went Motorola, beats any exploding Samsung phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users