Photo

Getting 2nd Bionic to mess around with, advice?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rayjj

rayjj

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:02 AM

So I have had a Bionic since launch, was never pleased with it until we finally got ICS.  I was excited for JB, but actually hate it, and since I cannot go back to ICS have just been dealing with it.  I bought a refurb one the other day to mess around with, and kinda hoping that it doesn't have JB on it when I get it.  If it does not have JB, I probably will learn how to root it to get ICS on it and just leave it at that.  Suggestions on the easiest way to get to that point?  Keep in mind I am a total noob with rooting, I have read up on the HOB, and still have to really learn what FXZ is, and some of the other terms.  Worst case one of my 2 Bionics will end up being something for the kids to play games with, and the other will stay as my phone until I decide what I want to upgrade to.  Any advice for someone that has never done this?  Would definitely hate to brick it right off the bat when trying to learn!  Thx!

Noob, but want to learn!

#2 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:07 AM

Sadly if it comes with JB you will be stuck there. There is no going backwards on a bootloader locked device.  :(

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#3 BKiv

BKiv

Pancake annihilator

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Google+:jnbkivett@gmail.com
  • LocationHigh Point NC
  • Current Device(s):Bionic

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:16 AM

Root it and install safe strap. I run cm10.1.2, flying jelly & blurry on mine. All are great ROMs.

#4 rayjj

rayjj

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:47 AM

If I somehow luck out and get a non JB phone, what is the easiest way to get to ICS and leave it there and not worry about the OTA JB update?

Noob, but want to learn!

#5 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:48 AM

Moved to Droid Bionic General as this is not a critical issue.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#6 rayjj

rayjj

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:49 AM

One of the things I hate about JB is the loss of the bluetooth MAP feature.  Again as a total noob to messing around with a phone, are there ROMS that add a feature like that back in?  I'd really like to hold onto this phone longer to keep my inlimited data, so trying to prolong and upgrade.

Noob, but want to learn!

#7 nitephlight

nitephlight

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

bionic is my baby and will always be (until vzw takes my unlimited data kicking and screaming). the best use of a spare bionic is to pick up a cheap lapdock or hd-dock and use it as a cheap, ultra portable netbook. using the hd-dock you can use it to turn a TV into a smart TV!

#8 rayjj

rayjj

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:04 PM

Well I got the phone today, luckily it has ICS on it, so I need to prevent JB from installing.  Gotta search around and see the best way to root this phone.  This is all new to me, so hoping I dont brick it!

Noob, but want to learn!

#9 nitephlight

nitephlight

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

root method for ICS is motofail.exe you should find it easy enough, shoot me a PM if you don't. you also need the 246 FXZ in case something goes wrong. you will find that in the HoB thread! might be a little harder digging up the overclock kernel mods and stuff, if that's your sort of thing anyway. Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

#10 chrisp6825

chrisp6825

Byaaah!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Current Device(s):Moto Droid Bionic

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:44 AM

As for ICS ROMs, I've enjoyed Eclipse. It's stock based so you won't lose HDMI support. CyanogenMod, AOKP, and other AOSP roms can still be loaded with safestraps kexec, usually only in slot 1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users