• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Someolddude

Someolddude

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid razer m DOA :( New phone Samsung note 3 :)

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

So I'm getting conflicting stories about the new update. First I hear it will keep you from being able to root and unlock. I've read also that it doesn't its just improvements. Looking for solid answers on this. Any Guinea pigs out there? Lol

#2 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:07 PM

It breaks unlock and root but if you are already unlocked you can restore root. On the HD side they are working on possibly getting root back for locked folks but unlock is still and will probably always be a no-go

• shane1 likes this

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#3 Someolddude

Someolddude

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:59 PM

You use motochopper to restore root again or just twrp where it asks if you want to fix root and just swipe? Just trying to figure it out because looks like there might be some improvements I'm interested in.

#4 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:02 PM

You use motochopper to restore root again or just twrp where it asks if you want to fix root and just swipe? Just trying to figure it out because looks like there might be some improvements I'm interested in.

I believe TWRP does it with the swipe.

• shane1 likes this

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#5 techjunkie

techjunkie

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Twitter:islandfellow
  • Google+:islandfellow
  • LocationGeorgia (The State)
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr M, Sony Tablet S

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

It breaks unlock and root but if you are already unlocked you can restore root. On the HD side they are working on possibly getting root back for locked folks but unlock is still and will probably always be a no-go

One of my family members installed the update on my phone, I lost root, but it is still unlock. can you point me in the direction you are referring to so I can get root back. Thanks

#6 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:24 AM

If you have twrp recovery it can restore root. It does a check and if it finds it not properly configured it will ask you if you want to fix. Here is a utility that helps with recovery and root -

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

[How-To]UNIVERSAL-Recovery-and-Root-ANY-{Unlocked-Bootloader-XT926-&-XT907}-Easy!

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#7 Someolddude

Someolddude

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:59 AM

So it appears safe to take the ota as long as your boot loader is unlocked. Which mine is. So I would have to install a stock ROM and FAC reset it in order for the update to be successful then gain back root. Sound right?

#8 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

Yes - well, you should have a backup of your stock in your recovery hopefully that you made shortly after unlocking your bootloader. 

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#9 aviwdoowks

aviwdoowks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

I can get wifi where I could not  get it before the UD.

#10 Someolddude

Someolddude

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:37 AM

I can get wifi where I could not  get it before the UD.

That's one of the improvements I'm looking to get. Hopefully its more stable also.

#11 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:09 AM

The main function of the update besides fixing the exploit holes is a radio upgrade. It improved my reception at work. Inside the building I used to teeter between 3g and 1x, but now it stays on 3g. Not everyone has noticed a difference though.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#12 karthakon

karthakon

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationBoston
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Droid Razr M

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:19 AM

What is the latest radio/baseband version?

#13 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:20 AM

I yigh yigh..... I don't know what I was going to say here...

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#14 bigv5150

bigv5150

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationDirty Jerzey
  • Current Device(s):Droid Maxx

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:01 AM

I got the update for my wifes M and it didnt install the new radio I fxz'd back to 66 and then rerooted took the update and restored root with voodoo no problem.  I think even if you take the update there is no security keeping you from reverting to the previous build which can be unlocked. I don't know what the difference between the two updates are but the first time I updated I got the .3 the second time I got the .78.

#15 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:14 PM

I got the update for my wifes M and it didnt install the new radio I fxz'd back to 66 and then rerooted took the update and restored root with voodoo no problem.  I think even if you take the update there is no security keeping you from reverting to the previous build which can be unlocked. I don't know what the difference between the two updates are but the first time I updated I got the .3 the second time I got the .78.

If you've already taken the update, it patched the "loophole."  From what I've read, going back doesn't have the capability to reopen the "loophole." 

R. Long: Pixel 5

#16 bigv5150

bigv5150

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationDirty Jerzey
  • Current Device(s):Droid Maxx

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:57 AM

You may be correct because my first attempt at installing the update failed but Gave me a new system number but not the new radio. I guess it also didn't update the security so I was able to fxz and then root using voodoo then take the update fully and restore root.
  • RikRong likes this

#17 Someolddude

Someolddude

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:14 AM

Anybody know if the ota will take if your on a deodexed ROM? I can install my nandroid of my stock ROM just thinking of being lazy.

#18 Someolddude

Someolddude

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

OK so I restored my stock ROM and got it ready best I know for the new update. After downloading I hit install and phone shut down and went into tarp . I hit reboot and it asked me to swipe to fix superuser so I did and it fired up. Then it started shutting down again and went back to tarp. Did this a few more times then said screw it and restored a deodexed ROM I've been running for a while now. So here's the thing I'm not completely sure the update wasn't successful. My system version was 98.15.65 xt907. Now on the deodexed ROM of says 98.16.1 xt907. Didn't write down what the deodexed ROM was before so I don't know if anything changed. Looking for a little wisdom on this thanks.

#19 Someolddude

Someolddude

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:38 PM

Forget it its still the older one. Checked for updates again and it said 98.16.3. Guess I have to uninstall twrp before updating for it to work. Something with adb so I'm guessing I need my wife's laptop for that.

Just an after thought. Would installing the update even be worth doing? I run a deodexed ROM as my DD so if its updated with my stock ROM will the deodexed ROM be updated also?

#20 kadeo666

kadeo666

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationCO
  • Current Device(s):RAZR M, Galaxy SII

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

<p>My wife accidently took the update on her M.&nbsp; It was rooted and the bootloader unlocked but still running the stock rom.&nbsp; I realized what she had done as the phone was doing all sorts of crazy stuff and when I tried to check it out I was no longer getting any root access.&nbsp; It took a few attempts but finally I was able to boot into TWRP via power\volume buttons and reflashed superuser.&nbsp; Didnt wipe or anything.&nbsp; That restored root and now she is getting 4G in the mountains of NorCal where we had trouble getting service at all before.&nbsp; So from what I can see if your unlocked then take the update and root is easy to get back if you just put a little effort into it</p>

• livinginkaos and RikRong like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users