#1 Brave_Fellow

Brave_Fellow

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Twitter:Brave_Fellow

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:36 AM

I rooted successfully with Matt's Utility 1.6. I have the CDMA RAZR running .181.XT912. When I try to run Titanium Backup, it is denied superuser permission. I have even set Superuser to automatically allow it, but still TB is denied. TB pops up with an error about making sure busybox is installed.

I tried unrooting then rerooting. When I unrooted, Superuser was still on my phone. WTF? So I did a factory reset. SUPERUSER WAS STILL ON MY PHONE AFTER THE RESET.

After the reset, with this "Fresh" system, I rerooted successfully with Matt's Utility 1.6. TB is still being denied superuser permission! W. T. F?!

Anyone else run into this issue?

#2 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:41 AM

Install busybox from the Play Store.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

#3 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Twitter:G8orDroid

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:43 AM

I rooted successfully with Matt's Utility 1.6. I have the CDMA RAZR running .181.XT912. When I try to run Titanium Backup, it is denied superuser permission. I have even set Superuser to automatically allow it, but still TB is denied. TB pops up with an error about making sure busybox is installed.

I tried unrooting then rerooting. When I unrooted, Superuser was still on my phone. WTF? So I did a factory reset. SUPERUSER WAS STILL ON MY PHONE AFTER THE RESET.

After the reset, with this "Fresh" system, I rerooted successfully with Matt's Utility 1.6. TB is still being denied superuser permission! W. T. F?!

A factory reset will not remove Superuser.
Do other root apps work?
Have you installed/updated Busybox?

#4 EmericanX

EmericanX

Developer

• Developer
  • 1,027 posts
  • Twitter:@EmericanX
  • LocationPrince George, VA

First. Download busy box installer from the market and make sure it is installed for sure.

Second try a different app that requires SU... such as a root explorer or even just the su update from within the superuser app.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

#5 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Damn Hicks you beat me again. LOL

#6 theonlycosmic

theonlycosmic

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:44 AM

Yea you must have busybox installed. Download busybox by stercison, most widely used busybox around I would say.

Current Phone: Motorola Droid Razr MAXX Stuck on .210 Running Black Widow ICS ROM (leak)

#7 EmericanX

EmericanX

Developer

• Developer
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:44 AM

Lol. I'm pretty sure we all started replying at the same time!

#8 theonlycosmic

theonlycosmic

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:45 AM

Lol. I'm pretty sure we all started replying at the same time!

Omg I just replied and now I see like three other posts infront of me!! Lolol

Current Phone: Motorola Droid Razr MAXX Stuck on .210 Running Black Widow ICS ROM (leak)

#9 Brave_Fellow

Brave_Fellow

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:49 AM

Already tried installing busybox. It failed using the app "busybox" and "busybox installer". Superuser denied permission to both of the apps. Sorry, I forgot to mention that in my post.

#10 EmericanX

EmericanX

Developer

• Developer
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

Hate to say the obvious... but you don't have root. I was only on 181 long enough to root it... so I'm not sure I can be much help.
I would have to dig into matts utility a bit more to see what process is going on. Isn't there two root options on his latest? One for 181 one for ics?

Btw... the superuser app being installed doesn't mean you have root. As you're finding out. The su binary had to be within the system in /xbin or /bin for it to operate correctly. It sounds as if part of the utility is failing to push the binary.

#11 Brave_Fellow

Brave_Fellow

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:24 AM

Hate to say the obvious... but you don't have root. I was only on 181 long enough to root it... so I'm not sure I can be much help.
I would have to dig into matts utility a bit more to see what process is going on. Isn't there two root options on his latest? One for 181 one for ics?

Btw... the superuser app being installed doesn't mean you have root. As you're finding out. The su binary had to be within the system in /xbin or /bin for it to operate correctly. It sounds as if part of the utility is failing to push the binary.

How can I tell if the su binary exists? I see a file in the the system folder labeled "su". Is that it?

#12 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

That may very well be the right file, but it should be located in /system/bin or system/xbin.

#13 Brave_Fellow

Brave_Fellow

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:34 AM

That may very well be the right file, but it should be located in /system/bin or system/xbin.

It is. Sorry, it is actually in system\bin.

I'm thinking I need to start over from scratch. How do I get all files associated with superuser off my phone? The unroot using Matt's Utility didn't seem to work last time.

Thanks for all your help. The D1 was a breeze to root and flash. I even did it with a friends fascinate, no problemo. This is the first time I have ever had a problem with rooting a phone.

#14 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

Are you using the 1.6 "final" version of the utility? There may have been some issues with the early release, idk? Theoretically, you shouldn't need to remove anything, unless one of the files has gotten set to read-only or something.
It might be easier (read: less stressful) to just re-flash .181 altogether from the utility and start from scratch. Of course you would lose your data and apps.
Otherwise, I would retry the root process with the final version and pay attention to the screen as it runs through the process. It should show you any errors that it encounters.

#15 Brave_Fellow

Brave_Fellow

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

Reran unroot with the utility. The messages say that busybox, su binary file and Superuser.apk all are read only.

1. How the hell does that happen?
2. Can this be fixed? Can I turn off the read only setting? I'm pretty much frustrated enough at this point to do a clean wipe and restore.

#16 EmericanX

EmericanX

Developer

• Developer
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:33 PM

The files aren't read only. That's telling you the file system that they're being pushed to is read only. Therefore the exploit you are trying isn't working so it can't push them. Do you get the same message on the root script?

#17 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:37 PM

It can be fixed through adb commands, but I always have to refresh my memory on that when I need it. Sounds like the script is not mounting /system with write access. Not sure what your issue is though, since all files are there and apparently in the right place. Try to clear data on the superuser app and see if that helps.

#18 Brave_Fellow

Brave_Fellow

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:52 AM

I just used Matt's Utility to do a fresh reset of the phone, but did not erase the internal storage portion. After the reset, I checked the files system again to see if anything was leftover from BusyBox or Superuser. Superuser was completely gone, but BusyBox files were burried in some system file that seemed to loop itself like: System\thumb2\thumb2\thumb2\thumb2.....

There were about 6 busybox files buried like that. I tried root using the utility and it was successful this time. It's just a pain in the rear end to have to set up the phone the way I like it with themes and and all. But now i can back it up with TB and freeze the bloat (FINALLY!).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users