• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 varpness

varpness

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:38 PM

Yesterday I was able to install ICS .79 once. I wanted to update to .208 so I used DroidRAZRUtility1.6_final to get my phone back to stock, unrooted. I've been trying non-stop since then to get ICS back on, but it fails every time. It doesn't matter what method I use, or even what ICS version I try, nothing will install. I keep getting this same message every single time:

Verifying current system...
assert failed: mount("ext3", "MTD", "preinstall", "/preinstall")
E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

I've tried absolutely everything I can think of. Cache/system/data wipes, installing through system recovery, installing through Rom Manager. Installing with Gingerbread Root, installing without Gingerbread Root.

I'm at my wits end, but I'm hoping it's something stupid I overlooked.

I would very much appreciate any advice you can give me.

P.S. - Yes, I've already run some forum and google searches and nothing suggested has worked. I thought this thread might help people in the future. If I can figure out how to fix this problem, I'll post the results here.

EDIT: I'm updating this to indicate that I had success with an RSD restore. I used the following file to do the RSD restore, then did some OTA updates back up to 181. Everything was smooth after that.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#2 theonlycosmic

theonlycosmic

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:44 PM

Fastboot back again through Matt's Utility v1.6 again. The problem is you do not have the proper files in your preinstall folder. How are you able to see the errors ? If you use ROM manager and such, you shouldnt be able to see these errors.

Sent from my full_spyder using Tapatalk 2
Current Phone: Motorola Droid Razr MAXX Stuck on .210 Running Black Widow ICS ROM (leak)

#3 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:45 PM

Sounds like you used Safestrap at one point.

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#4 varpness

varpness

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:57 PM

Yes, I did. I was following the directions to "Install Any ICS Rom" and thought that the method for installing .208 was to install .79 first. I was learning as much as I could, but still did not understand what Safestrap was.

I'm using your utility, Matt, option 1, to restore to 6.12.181, and using that as my starting point. But I'm still getting the same error.

EDIT: Also, I installed the Safestrap APK again, just to see if it was still installed. It's not, but apparently the damage remains.

EDIT2: When I restore to 6.12.181, I can confirm that the preinstall folder is copied properly (OKAY), and I only get the two errors that are expected.

#5 superrelaxx

superrelaxx

Droid Master

• Superuser
  • 921 posts
  • Twitter:jasNwa
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

Yes, I did. I was following the directions to "Install Any ICS Rom" and thought that the method for installing .208 was to install .79 first. I was learning as much as I could, but still did not understand what Safestrap was.

I'm using your utility, Matt, option 1, to restore to 6.12.181, and using that as my starting point. But I'm still getting the same error.

EDIT: Also, I installed the Safestrap APK again, just to see if it was still installed. It's not, but apparently the damage remains.

Quit installing safestrap! Lol
If you haven't installed a leak higher than 79 then follow this but substitute 79 with the leak you want to install. I'd fastboot back to 181 to start from a clean slate.

• varpness likes this

#6 varpness

varpness

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:12 PM

Quit installing safestrap! Lol
If you haven't installed a leak higher than 79 then follow this but substitute 79 with the leak you want to install. I'd fastboot back to 181 to start from a clean slate.

Thank you for the help. My problem now, is that even using that method, I get the same error. I start with a clean, fastboot back to 181. I follow the steps exactly, but I still get the same error, even when trying to install .79. It's like safestrap permanently screwed something up.

#7 dipsetdiplomat

dipsetdiplomat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

Is there no fix for this problem?

#8 androidbuddy

androidbuddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:30 PM

Is there no fix for this problem?

the only other option is to redownload the files...if that doesn't work..flash .75 instead

#9 varpness

varpness

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:31 PM

the only other option is to redownload the files...if that doesn't work..flash .75 instead

I'll try finding the files. Strange that fastboot isn't restoring them.

#10 beeryooper

beeryooper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:50 PM

Thank you for the help. My problem now, is that even using that method, I get the same error. I start with a clean, fastboot back to 181. I follow the steps exactly, but I still get the same error, even when trying to install .79. It's like safestrap permanently screwed something up.

I doubt safestrap screwed anything up. its probably something with the process you're doing. when you say fastboot back to 181 are you using matts utility or RSD? If only using matt's utility I'd try RSD and see if that helps anything.
  • varpness likes this

#11 dipsetdiplomat

dipsetdiplomat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:51 PM

What if i was already on an ics leak thats not fastbootable, am i stuck with a black screen now because the unstuck method isnt working.

#12 varpness

varpness

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:12 PM

I doubt safestrap screwed anything up. its probably something with the process you're doing. when you say fastboot back to 181 are you using matts utility or RSD? If only using matt's utility I'd try RSD and see if that helps anything.

Thanks, I'm trying RSD now, but it's probably going to take me a while, because I don't have a clue how to use it. Can I use the same files from the Droid RAZR Utility 1.6 files directory? It should contain the same files for restoration.

#13 beeryooper

beeryooper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:11 PM

Thanks, I'm trying RSD now, but it's probably going to take me a while, because I don't have a clue how to use it. Can I use the same files from the Droid RAZR Utility 1.6 files directory? It should contain the same files for restoration.

You would need to download the fastboot file. Its a 1gb + zip file.

• johnegbert6 likes this

#14 STiK

STiK

STiK in the Mud

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA
  • Current Device(s):LG Nexus 4

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

Make sure your battery is fully charged before trying to fastboot with rsdlite...

#15 brucb3

brucb3

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

I feel your pain I had the same problem with 206 about a week ago. I'm on 209 now and this is what I did.

Make sure you have all the proper files = 1.6 utility, 2xx (xx is for 06, 08, or 09) unstuck tool, and the 2xx.zip file

Put the 2xx.zip file on the root of your sd card. Do this first before doing anything else make sure its on the root. Use Astro file manager to verify file should be in the sdcard-ext folder!

Factory reset your phone! Don't need to setup your phone when it shuts off hold down power/ both volume keys to get to the fast boot screen

using the 1.6 utility select #1 restore to 6.12.181. let it do its thing it will fail mine got hung up half way through the process and froze my computer so I unpluged my phone and restarted my computer. for some reason it doesn't have to go all the way through.

If it hangs or finishes for you it will go to the moto boot screen and freeze at a black screen. Just reboot holding volume down and power button together and then hold all three buttons to get back to fast boot screen.

Open up unstuck tool and select 2xx flash kernel it will take 10 seconds then its done.

Then go back to fast boot screen and select recovery. In android stock recovery select Install form sd card and select the ics file. Let it do its thing it will probably fail. select wipe data/ cache when its done go back to install from sd card and try it again. If it fails do it again then BAM Ics! This last step I did staying in Android recovery and not rebooting. i think my problem was the flash file was not on the root of my SD card.

I know you probably have a lot of experience with flashing but I wanted to give you a step by step way that solved the problem for me. Hope this helps

#16 varpness

varpness

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:37 PM

I feel your pain I had the same problem with 206 about a week ago. I'm on 209 now and this is what I did.

Make sure you have all the proper files = 1.6 utility, 2xx (xx is for 06, 08, or 09) unstuck tool, and the 2xx.zip file

Put the 2xx.zip file on the root of your sd card. Do this first before doing anything else make sure its on the root. Use Astro file manager to verify file should be in the sdcard-ext folder!

Factory reset your phone! Don't need to setup your phone when it shuts off hold down power/ both volume keys to get to the fast boot screen

using the 1.6 utility select #1 restore to 6.12.181. let it do its thing it will fail mine got hung up half way through the process and froze my computer so I unpluged my phone and restarted my computer. for some reason it doesn't have to go all the way through.

If it hangs or finishes for you it will go to the moto boot screen and freeze at a black screen. Just reboot holding volume down and power button together and then hold all three buttons to get back to fast boot screen.

Open up unstuck tool and select 2xx flash kernel it will take 10 seconds then its done.

Then go back to fast boot screen and select recovery. In android stock recovery select Install form sd card and select the ics file. Let it do its thing it will probably fail. select wipe data/ cache when its done go back to install from sd card and try it again. If it fails do it again then BAM Ics! This last step I did staying in Android recovery and not rebooting. i think my problem was the flash file was not on the root of my SD card.

I know you probably have a lot of experience with flashing but I wanted to give you a step by step way that solved the problem for me. Hope this helps

I REALLY appreciate the step by step help. I was ready to go crazy with excitement, but unfortunately it didn't work for me. I suspect you had a different problem from me. For some reason, no matter how many times I factory reset, fastboot 6.12.181, or whatever else I can do, it just won't get past the assert failed Status 7 error. I'm REALLY regretting installing Safestrap. I guess it wasn't a very safe strap after all.

#17 varpness

varpness

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:44 PM

You would need to download the fastboot file. Its a 1gb + zip file.

The file I was trying to download was going SO slowly, and errored out after 2 hours. Starting from scratch, but your link is going faster.

Make sure your battery is fully charged before trying to fastboot with rsdlite...

Thanks for the battery advise, and for the link.

#18 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City
  • Current Device(s):x13 Dev Ed & x14 Pure Ed & Droid Turbo

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:48 AM

I REALLY appreciate the step by step help. I was ready to go crazy with excitement, but unfortunately it didn't work for me. I suspect you had a different problem from me. For some reason, no matter how many times I factory reset, fastboot 6.12.181, or whatever else I can do, it just won't get past the assert failed Status 7 error. I'm REALLY regretting installing Safestrap. I guess it wasn't a very safe strap after all.

1: Try redownlaoding the update *.zip file you are using. It could be the file trying to be installed is bad/corrupted when you downloaded it or transferred to the device.
2: After you fastboot back to 181 my suggestion is root it and then using Root Explorer or ES Explorer check the /Preinstall folder and make sure the 4 fiels are in there that need to be. If no then you need to work on that before trying to update anything or you will keep fighting it.

Something is just going wrong in the process somewhere. Safestrap is no big deal to install in all honesty. I've fastbooted my device lord only knows how many times and I've use SS for ages now messing around without issue.

#19 beeryooper

beeryooper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:36 AM

I'm REALLY regretting installing Safestrap. I guess it wasn't a very safe strap after all.

Its not safestrap. Its the process you are following. You're missing a step or not doing something correctly...

#20 varpness

varpness

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:28 AM

Okay, I wanted to give an update to help anyone else with this problem. I used the link posted earlier to RSD back to an older version of Android. Then I did three OTA updates back to 181. Then I was able to update to 209 with no problems. Thanks, everyone, for your help! I hope this thread helps others. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users