15 replies to this topic

#1 thejoshman

thejoshman

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:33 PM

Im using SafeStrap to flash custom roms, I flashed Cyanogen and tried booting into it, I got to the Safestrap screen press continue and the phone doesn't boot after that. Im running 4.1.2, with safestrap 3.12. In the Safestrap console it says "E: Unknown volume for path [/]"

#2 zooyork0721

zooyork0721

All Around Man

• Developer
  • 979 posts
  • Google+:gtalk/hangouts- zooyork0721
  • LocationNew York, NY
  • Current Device(s):OnePlus 8 Pro

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:37 PM

which cyanogen mod did you flash? cyanogen mod has a custom kernel which you cant flash while on safestrap and having a locked bootloader

edit: please look at these :)

Need an unlocked bootloader and be using a custom recovery to use cyanogen mod or anything based off it

One - 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Two - 

• thejoshman likes this

lr79yH0.png

en_app_rgb_wo_60.png

#3 thejoshman

thejoshman

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:24 PM

which cyanogen mod did you flash? cyanogen mod has a custom kernel which you cant flash while on safestrap and having a locked bootloader

edit: please look at these :)

Need an unlocked bootloader and be using a custom recovery to use cyanogen mod or anything based off it

One - 

Two - 

I just flashed the nightly build that just came out today, any recommendations of custom roms that don't run off Cyanogen? As I heard unlocking your bootloader erases your phone (apps contacts etc) Could I also keep using Safestrap if I do decide to unlock my bootloader and use Cyanogen?

#4 shane1

shane1

Droid Elite

• 1,596 posts
  • Twitter:1shane15
  • Google+:shanebarone1@gmail.com (gtalk/hangouts)
  • Locationny
  • Current Device(s):Gen 2 Moto X,2015 Moto X Pure,N9, N7,& N6

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:58 PM

Unlocking your boot loader does not erase anything. Once its unlocked you no longer need safe strap.

Posted Image
sig made by

Rinkle McBally

#5 thejoshman

thejoshman

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:02 PM

Unlocking your boot loader does not erase anything. Once its unlocked you no longer need safe strap.

Should I start using Rom manager then? I started using safestrap becayse of how safe it is.

#6 shane1

shane1

Droid Elite

• 1,596 posts
  • Locationny

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:19 PM

As long as you read directions and don't try flashing crazy stuff an unlocked boot loader is safer than safe strap. And you don't need ROM manager . read about twrp or cwm flash which ever you choose and make sure to follow directions! 

Posted Image
sig made by

Rinkle McBally

#7 thejoshman

thejoshman

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:31 PM

As long as you read directions and don't try flashing crazy stuff an unlocked boot loader is safer than safe strap. And you don't need ROM manager . read about twrp or cwm flash which ever you choose and make sure to follow directions! 

Ah, so I could just uninstall SafeStrap unlock the bootloader put this on it 

and flash cyanogen? Also what would happen if I lets say flash LiquidSmooth for 4.2.2 while running 4.1.2.

#8 shane1

shane1

Droid Elite

• 1,596 posts
  • Locationny

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:40 PM

You need to flash twrp that's built for your device. Its in the development section than going from 4.1.2 ROMs to 4.2 or 4.3 ROMs is no problem just follow directions. 

Posted Image
sig made by

Rinkle McBally

#9 thejoshman

thejoshman

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

You need to flash twrp that's built for your device. Its in the development section than going from 4.1.2 ROMs to 4.2 or 4.3 ROMs is no problem just follow directions. 

All this does seem pretty complicated, especially flashing TWRP. Hopefully Ill get it right and dont brick my device.

#10 shane1

shane1

Droid Elite

• 1,596 posts
  • Locationny

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:54 PM

As long as you read the directions a few times and follow them you'll be alright. If your unsure about something feel free to ask for help that's why we are here.

Posted Image
sig made by

Rinkle McBally

#11 thejoshman

thejoshman

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

As long as you read the directions a few times and follow them you'll be alright. If your unsure about something feel free to ask for help that's why we are here.

Alright thanks a lot. From my understanding all I need to do is unlock the bootloader flash TWRP and Ill be able to boot into recovery and from there flash custom roms.

#12 shane1

shane1

Droid Elite

• 1,596 posts
  • Locationny

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:03 PM

Correct make sure to make a backup before flashing anything and put it on your SD card and possibly you PC to be safe

Posted Image
sig made by

Rinkle McBally

#13 thejoshman

thejoshman

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:05 PM

Correct make sure to make a backup before flashing anything and put it on your SD card and possibly you PC to be safe

I don't have a SD card. Ill just put it on my PC. Thanks a lot for the help, I can finally fully customize and enjoy android. Could you link me to one of the threads that explains getting from 4.1.2 to 4.2/4.3?

#14 shane1

shane1

Droid Elite

• 1,596 posts
  • Locationny

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:13 PM

Just flash the ROM and follow whichever ROM you choose directions. And you might wanna get a sdcard to be safe

Posted Image
sig made by

Rinkle McBally

#15 thejoshman

thejoshman

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:19 PM

Just flash the ROM and follow whichever ROM you choose directions. And you might wanna get a sdcard to be safe

Ok will do, LiquidSmooth didn't have any directions really. Thanks a lot for the help again.

#16 thejoshman

thejoshman

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:23 PM

Well found out my phone is on 9.18.79 so no chance of custom roms for now. At least I still have root I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users