13 replies to this topic

#1 crepiduse

crepiduse

n00b

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:06 PM

I have 9.18.9 and unlocked as well as rooted,  I want to update but want to keep my "Trust Zone" with the exploitable model as it may be useful later....  

Is there a way to update everything but the TZ?  If so,  How?

#2 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:22 PM

Since you are unlocked, there is little need for concern for the root exploit since root can be established thru recovery.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#3 crepiduse

crepiduse

n00b

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:10 AM

It's not the root exploit I want,  its the ability to write to the secure areas,  such as qfuses.   The trust zone is the one I want to remain the same.

#4 crepiduse

crepiduse

n00b

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:18 PM

Or should I just take the OTA now and call it a day?

#5 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:46 PM

Or should I just take the OTA now and call it a day?

I would recommend this. Honestly I had never even heard of the trusted zone until this mess. And I been around a bit. You're unlocked, just do it!!

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#6 dvgb131

dvgb131

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Twitter:dvgb173
  • LocationAlbany
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:05 AM

What benefit is the new OTA?

Do any of the 4.2 or 4.3 Roms require it?

Doug B.

#7 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:37 AM

The OTA has new basebands.   Has help some, others don't notice a difference.  The other thing is the closing of the exploit holes, but if you are unlocked already, that is of no concern.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#8 magellan

magellan

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:50 AM

I bought a Maxx HD and was able to root but cannot unlock. I've accepted the reality of there never being the ability to unlock, but am happy for at least having root.

Aside from that, IIRC there were improvements in the OTA that supposedly made the phone more stable, and the new basebands as noted above. Is there a way to reinstall the OTA and keep root?  I believe according to SamuriHL the root fix procedure did not include any of the "good" parts of the OTA.

TIA

BTW, I now believe my AV (BitDefender) may have been the problem with the auto root process. Just FYI.

#9 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:25 AM

What do you mean the root fix procedure didn't include any of the "good parts" of the OTA?  The root fix procedure has you reinstall the OTA FULLY.  So I don't get what you're trying to say there.

Non potest esse nisi unus

#10 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:27 AM

To the OP, yes, it can be done.  It's not something anyone's going to do for you, but, the way to do it is to take the FXZ for 79 and remove the tz lines from the XML file.  Flash that and you'll essentially have the new update without the TZ partition update.  I'm not sure I recommend that as no one has any idea what that'll do.

#11 FacelessMan

FacelessMan

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:40 PM

To the OP, yes, it can be done.  It's not something anyone's going to do for you, but, the way to do it is to take the FXZ for 79 and remove the tz lines from the XML file.  Flash that and you'll essentially have the new update without the TZ partition update.  I'm not sure I recommend that as no one has any idea what that'll do.

SamuriHL, I am unlocked and was kinda playing with this same idea. Is it possible to extract the .zip from the OTA that has been pushed to my phone, and modify the updater-script to exclude the tz update? It looks really easy to remove the couple of lines and possibly the tz.mbn from the .zip. This way I get updated without the tz and do not have to rebuild my phone.

#12 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:23 PM

Of course not.  As soon as you modify the zip it'll fail the signature assertion. No, the way to do it is by flashing the FXZ.  I have a universal RSD script for this purpose in my emporium thread.

#13 FacelessMan

FacelessMan

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:22 AM

Of course not.  As soon as you modify the zip it'll fail the signature assertion. No, the way to do it is by flashing the FXZ.  I have a universal RSD script for this purpose in my emporium thread.

Yeah, the signature issue occurred to me, but thought I would ask anyway. I've looked at some of your scripts. I'll have another look and use that method. Thanks for the input.

• SamuriHL likes this

#14 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:38 AM

Check out my house of moto. It has the universal script built in that doesn't flash the tz partition.

Carved in blood by a wakizashi...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users