9 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyJazz

JimmyJazz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY.

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:56 PM

There is an unspoken rivalry between cdma and gsm phone owners? Now I would like to clearly state that I am completely and utterly indifferent concerning this. I simply wish to spark spirited discussion among the bright young minds here. I know some roms come out first on certain systems, or some roms fail to come out at all. Just wondering what some thoughts are about this. Do you believe their might be some bitterness or resentment from either party? I know ICS is starting to bridge the gap by offering cdma users gsm network options, but does that mean phones will now be able to run a sort of unisex rom so to say? Up until now roms have been kept separate for a reason, so if ICS does not resolve this, do you feel there are some underlying emotions on either end? Speak on what you like or dislike in regards to either side, be respectful and allow the speculation to begin.

#2 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:04 PM

There is an unspoken rivalry between cdma and gsm phone owners? Now I would like to clearly state that I am completely and utterly indifferent concerning this. I simply wish to spark spirited discussion among the bright young minds here. I know some roms come out first on certain systems, or some roms fail to come out at all. Just wondering what some thoughts are about this. Do you believe their might be some bitterness or resentment from either party? I know ICS is starting to bridge the gap by offering cdma users gsm network options, but does that mean phones will now be able to run a sort of unisex rom so to say? Up until now roms have been kept separate for a reason, so if ICS does not resolve this, do you feel there are some underlying emotions on either end? Speak on what you like or dislike in regards to either side, be respectful and allow the speculation to begin.

Until the bootloader is unlocked and new radios, kernels, and custom ROMs are prepared there can't be a universal ROM for both CDMA and GSM without modification. As for any rivalrly, I really don't think that is the case. There is likely some resentment from GSM users towards the CDMA community not providing them much support, however that is just the nature of Moto having released two versions of the same device. Developers work out of the goodness of their own usually, so it is rare one has the time and patience to keep one codebase up to date let alone maintaining for both versions.
  • DarkOverDroid likes this

#3 OlDirtyGrizzly

OlDirtyGrizzly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationNewburgh, NY

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:06 PM

i dont really see it. i mean CMDA probably looks at the GSM and says "What a nerd" and the GSM probably looks at the CDMA and says "Look At The Fat Kid". just hallway comments...no dodgeball lol

#4 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:30 PM

I don't see a rivalry really. I just see it as devs making ROMs for whatever device they have. I'm not going to make a ROM for a GSM device because I don't own one. Just happens that more people own CDMA RAZRs than GSM.

#5 Oso

Oso

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Twitter:@pprice88
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:01 AM

I don't see a rivalry really. I just see it as devs making ROMs for whatever device they have. I'm not going to make a ROM for a GSM device because I don't own one. Just happens that more people own CDMA RAZRs than GSM.

My thoughts exactly.
  • timpohladthomas likes this

#6 _base2

_base2

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:38 AM

I don't see it either... Moto people are Moto people. We're all fwens... lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
[ sent from _base2 ]

#7 JimmyJazz

JimmyJazz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY.

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:30 PM

Indeed, since I am new I was curious about this topic. I personally don't see it either, however in my initial readings I seen some complaints. Was curious to hear from some gsm users themselves. Being a cdma user I never seen it myself, once crackflashing takes over you tend not to notice much else. I like the vibe though, can't say I can ever mind it.

#8 uberbdon

uberbdon

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:51 PM

Indeed, since I am new I was curious about this topic. I personally don't see it either, however in my initial readings I seen some complaints. Was curious to hear from some gsm users themselves. Being a cdma user I never seen it myself, once crackflashing takes over you tend not to notice much else. I like the vibe though, can't say I can ever mind it.

Ask on XDA. Lots of GSM users over there.

#9 HSD-Pilot

HSD-Pilot

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Current Device(s):RazR

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:41 AM

As GSM User I can tell you it sucks a lil'bit. I love to flash Roms. But look, how many Roms out there for CDMA and count on one Hand the GSM. Since we could use the GSM Patch, all went fine. But now many of us stuck on an Leak and watch with one eye crying the Development for Leak based Roms like Koa, Widow, CM9 and so on.

But that's not the Devs fault! Sure, if they can't test an Rom they wouldn't release it. They got an Name to lose.

What we need are some great Rom creators in GSM section. Bitte seems like that would not happen in next time. So I just hope, there will be an GSM Patch for ICS Roms soon, so Crackflashing on ICS can begin :ph34r:

It's just boring, when there's no stuff to brick your Phone :blink:

Gesendet von meinem XT910 mit Tapatalk 2

Soundcloud <> Bassgrow

#10 Odiej34

Odiej34

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Twitter:Odiej34
  • LocationTucson AZ

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:13 PM

P3 iDroid is using his Maxx on AT&T. Not sure what mods he did but sounds pretty bad rear end. Looks like it may be closer than we thought.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gsm, cdma

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users