Photo

How Does Big Red Keep Track Of Our Data Usage And...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#1 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:55 PM

Is there a way to hide from them?

I'm just curious, with VZW killing unlimited data and with the double taxation for the wifi hotspot I'm just curious how does big red monitor how much data we use on our device and is there a way to prevent them from know how much we use or even better prevent them from knowing at all? I'm tired of getting robbed by the mobile phone companies for Internet access and am curious just how their system works and if it's exploitable? Anyone with technical knowledge can chime in, I'd love to see where this goes. It's pirate time!!! Thanks all!

Sent from my who really cares?? Using NOBODY DOES!

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#2 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:02 PM

I'm just curious, with VZW killing unlimited data and with the double taxation for the wifi hotspot I'm just curious how does big red monitor how much data we use on our device and is there a way to prevent them from know how much we use or even better prevent them from knowing at all? I'm tired of getting robbed by the mobile phone companies for Internet access and am curious just how their system works and if it's exploitable? Anyone with technical knowledge can chime in, I'd love to see where this goes. It's pirate time!!! Thanks all!

3 quick things.

1. Yes they monitor.
2. No there's no hiding it from them (except using wifi).
3. Rumor mills are going about the whole "no more unlimited data" thing so don't believe it 100% just yet.

*Pirating ANYTHING at all (except the leaks of course) is not supported by droidrzr.com and shouldn't be discussed here.
  • mattlgroff and biggiesmalls657 like this

#3 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:07 PM

*Pirating ANYTHING at all (except the leaks of course) is not supported by droidrzr.com and shouldn't be discussed here.

Yeah yeah, just wondering. :-P
Everyone gets so uptight about "being a pirate" yet everyone and their brother knows how to get a free wifi hotspot (thanks to resources like this site).

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!

#4 wrich73

wrich73

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Google+:wrich73

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

Whether or not it is exploitable, you have to decide if its worth it. IF you have unlimited data, pay for the tether if you are planning to use it.

Once the share plans go live, I would seriously think twice before doing anything that violated the EULA (ie tether provisioning SQlite hack)..Not because I am some legal eagle douchebag, but because Big Red will look for any excuse it can to get people off of unlimited, and tethering without paying seems like a really easy and great excuse to kick someone.

Honestly the extra 30 bucks (or less depending on what discounts you get) isn't much at all in the big picture if you actually use it. I pay for tether, use the built in service and it works great, never any issues and its FAST...I haven't tried the tether app on the leak builds but it pretty much blows on the ICS ROMS (ie CM9..you are limited to wireless B connectivity).

I know it can be satisfying to "pull one over" on VZW, but its really not worth it unless you are already on tiered data :D

#5 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:03 PM

Whether or not it is exploitable, you have to decide if its worth it. IF you have unlimited data, pay for the tether if you are planning to use it.

Once the share plans go live, I would seriously think twice before doing anything that violated the EULA (ie tether provisioning SQlite hack)..Not because I am some legal eagle douchebag, but because Big Red will look for any excuse it can to get people off of unlimited, and tethering without paying seems like a really easy and great excuse to kick someone.

Honestly the extra 30 bucks (or less depending on what discounts you get) isn't much at all in the big picture if you actually use it. I pay for tether, use the built in service and it works great, never any issues and its FAST...I haven't tried the tether app on the leak builds but it pretty much blows on the ICS ROMS (ie CM9..you are limited to wireless B connectivity).

I know it can be satisfying to "pull one over" on VZW, but its really not worth it unless you are already on tiered data :D

Paying for mobile hotspot on top of paying for data is ridiculous. It is a feature provided by the device hardware and the software package of my choice. Pretty much... I own the hardware, I have legitimate access to unlimited data that I am massively overcharged for, and I really don't see how they can even legally charge for such a thing unless you agree to use their app. With a custom ROM, and a phone outside of contract changing which device accesses the data rather than how is consumed shouldn't matter. The fact I am allowed to pull my SIM card and put it into a tablet to use, but not to share the data directly is just VZW being pricks solely for the reason of making us pay repeatedly for the same product. If you still don't get it, please name any product you would like and I will gladly charge you an arbitrary amount that has no meaning above the full retail value. If that feels wrong, then just remind yourself that I told you that I wanted you to pay it because it is free money to me. If that still doesn't make sense... well, it should have more than convinced you to pay based on your stance.

#6 wrich73

wrich73

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Google+:wrich73

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:51 PM

I appreciate how you feel and empathize wholeheartedly. It does not however, change the fact that VZW will swing the ban stick at some point at those who are tethering and not paying for it...solely because they can.

I don't want to pay the extra $30, but I don't want to explain to my wife why our contract was cancelled because I was too cheap/proud/righteous to pay $30 for tethering. If there was a decent alternative, so be it, but Sprint/Tmobile/ATT/Cricket/etc etc have crap networks compared to Big Red so its not like I could validate my position by switching carriers.

Regardless of how I feel about it, the reward is not worth the risk, and I really don't see how paying $60 for data+tether (if that's what you end up paying...seems like almost every company with the power on gets a discount) is "exploitative price gouging that has questionable legality" That's less than standalone high speed broadband in a lot of markets!

#7 scottguest11

scottguest11

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:36 AM

hey i use the hotspot app and its free to me with unlimited data plain but im rooted and used the sqlite to get it to work and it works great and i use about 6g a month so im not really willing to give up my plain anytime soon but its been well worth it to me

#8 scottguest11

scottguest11

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:40 AM

btw you can leagally use the data on the phone for you computer if you use the usb teather and it requires not root or hack of anykind just the data cable and thats it

#9 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:23 AM

btw you can leagally use the data on the phone for you computer if you use the usb teather and it requires not root or hack of anykind just the data cable and thats it

Please elaborate on this

#10 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:28 AM

I appreciate how you feel and empathize wholeheartedly. It does not however, change the fact that VZW will swing the ban stick at some point at those who are tethering and not paying for it...solely because they can.

I don't want to pay the extra $30, but I don't want to explain to my wife why our contract was cancelled because I was too cheap/proud/righteous to pay $30 for tethering. If there was a decent alternative, so be it, but Sprint/Tmobile/ATT/Cricket/etc etc have crap networks compared to Big Red so its not like I could validate my position by switching carriers.

Regardless of how I feel about it, the reward is not worth the risk, and I really don't see how paying $60 for data+tether (if that's what you end up paying...seems like almost every company with the power on gets a discount) is "exploitative price gouging that has questionable legality" That's less than standalone high speed broadband in a lot of markets!

Do you really think Big Red would cancel your contract if they figured out that you "steal" wifi tethering? They are a huge company because they are wise business people. Cutting off your nose to spite your face doesn't work in big business. Neither does making decisions based on emotion (Oh this customer stole from me, so I'm not dealing with them anymore!!) If they found out you were using the hotspot for free and could prove it they would simply bill you for it. There is no "Ban stick" when it comes to big business and their customers, trust me your money is still green and they know it as long as they still own you. Cutting off customers does nothing but ship you over to Sprint or AT&T. They are not in the business of delivering paying customers to their competitors even if you are hijacking $30 whopping dollars a month for a service that actually costs them $0 and you are already paying for a first time!

#11 OlDirtyGrizzly

OlDirtyGrizzly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationNewburgh, NY

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:38 AM

yes we keep track of your data. just use wifi when ever you can. the data is tagged to your ESN number. YOUR PHONES IS CONSTANTLY SENDING OUT INFO WHEN YOUR NOT EVEN USING IT. this why verizon is able to tell how many times you really get dropped calls. cause ifyou call and say you get dropped calls all the time and what not just to get a phone...they can tell if your lying or not :/ and believe it or not. Verizon does know already if your phone already has say the ics leak on it. they can tell when the software was put on it and what not. i say this cause i have my own proof. Basically ill put it to you like this. We dont care what you do to your phone. your phone is your phone! but if your going to bring it back to us...just make sure you have the stock software on it that is spose to be on it. just a tip. but yes "big red" can track your data. every phone company does it! wifi is the only way.

#12 exalted911

exalted911

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:18 PM

I am curious as to how they keep tabs on your data. I have 2 phones and I have 4gigs of data on each phone. my daughter went over her data this month and now I have to pay 10 dollars extra because she went over by .24megs. when I went to check her usage it showed that she used 2.6gigs in 48 minutes. to me that seems a little off. she didn't download anything or stream. she uses her data for regular internet. when I talked to verizon all they can tell me is that she went over the limit will not tell me how she used 2.6gigs in 48 freaking minutes.

#13 scottguest11

scottguest11

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:42 PM

Please elaborate on this

ok if your on the 209 leak or 181 you go to settings then tethering&mobile hotspot then usb tethering and there you go

#14 OlDirtyGrizzly

OlDirtyGrizzly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationNewburgh, NY

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:44 PM

they keep track of data use. they cant actually see what you use the data from. its just a computer system that records when data signal is used and then is recorded

#15 benefit14snake

benefit14snake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:50 PM

I am curious as to how they keep tabs on your data. I have 2 phones and I have 4gigs of data on each phone. my daughter went over her data this month and now I have to pay 10 dollars extra because she went over by .24megs. when I went to check her usage it showed that she used 2.6gigs in 48 minutes. to me that seems a little off. she didn't download anything or stream. she uses her data for regular internet. when I talked to verizon all they can tell me is that she went over the limit will not tell me how she used 2.6gigs in 48 freaking minutes.

Wow! I wish my 4g was 72mb/s (constant throughput at that...)

Someone correct my math if I am wrong but isn't that 9MB/s?!
Sent from my Axiom MAXX!!

#16 benefit14snake

benefit14snake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:52 PM

My math may be off... too tired to think straight. 65 hours per week will do that to ya lol..

#17 exalted911

exalted911

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:14 AM

that was my argument with them. I told them there is no way she could of downloaded that much data or streamed that much date in 48 minutes.
all they know how to tell me is we dont know sir but you went over your limit.

#18 kokodroid

kokodroid

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Twitter:@BoilerUpHamrDn
  • LocationCentral Indiana

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:05 AM

Make sure that she doesn't have "request desktop site" turned on by default (or Full version of Facebook in browser). That could kill your data. Desktop sites can be 10x or more of their mobile versions.
Verizon Droid RAZR XT912: 6.16.215 LEAK

#19 cynnar

cynnar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

Make sure that she doesn't have "request desktop site" turned on by default (or Full version of Facebook in browser). That could kill your data. Desktop sites can be 10x or more of their mobile versions.

Does anyone actually have proof of this? I can understand a few kb maybe, but not 10x the amount. Granted I haven't designed any mobile pages (but have developed web pages since 95), but what I have read about it simply says it just makes for a better look on phone with some restrictions. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
I tend to question things I disbelieve are true. Some people cannot handle that. Sorry if you are one of those people.

#20 shizumie

shizumie

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Google+:shizumie@gmail.com
  • LocationHortens, Ga
  • Current Device(s):DNA

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:42 PM

Does anyone actually have proof of this? I can understand a few kb maybe, but not 10x the amount. Granted I haven't designed any mobile pages (but have developed web pages since 95), but what I have read about it simply says it just makes for a better look on phone with some restrictions. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

This is my understanding also. I use dreamwraver, and as far as im aware its img size and res mostly. Ie a phone is a lot smaller than a desktop screen, often more limited in functionality also, so they make mobile for ease of use, and ease of eye

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users