Photo

How Does Big Red Keep Track Of Our Data Usage And...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#21 vahx129

vahx129

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:42 AM

ok if your on the 209 leak or 181 you go to settings then tethering&mobile hotspot then usb tethering and there you go

I've also noticed (when doing the SQLite hack) that USB entitlement check is by default set to 0. It's been that way for a while. I should know since I'm writing this up on my phone via USB tether (waiting on a USB wifi adapter for my desktop). Actually, the phone is working as a WiFi adapter right now since I've enabled WiFi on the phone and tethered that connection. Hope that helps. For someone like me with Comcast way out in the boonies of Virginia, having the tether option is indispensable as is my *currently* unlimited data. I tend to use about 4-6 gigs a month. Maybe more since my new desktop arrived. I hope this doesn't constitute a gross abuse of unlimited data since I am a heavy user (on the phone itself usually).

#22 claps1775

claps1775

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • LocationIowa. Close to the University of Iowa.

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:44 PM

You can use more than that. Think, a 90 minute HD movie off of Netflix is close to 3 gigs I believe. I use my phone for everything. I cannot afford Mediacoms outrageous prices and interruptions. I do not hot spot tether a lot as I used to but I still do use it. Stop and think. This site is not an exclusive site. So you have to know that Motorola and Verizon reps have accounts here and monitor it. I bet they know and bet some reps do the hack and rom flashes. Think how many people out there have done the hack and how many they would loose. It's on YouTube for goodness sakes and among other sites. I am with everyone that does not want to pay double for there unlimited data. 2gigs for $30 is a laugh out loud or even 4 gigs.

I have Moto Razr....I will cut you.
To powerful to fall into my hands. Click......Rooted. ICS rommed!!!!! Muhahahahah!!!!

#23 honeydesean

honeydesean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:27 PM

Do you really think Big Red would cancel your contract if they figured out that you "steal" wifi tethering? They are a huge company because they are wise business people. Cutting off your nose to spite your face doesn't work in big business. Neither does making decisions based on emotion (Oh this customer stole from me, so I'm not dealing with them anymore!!) If they found out you were using the hotspot for free and could prove it they would simply bill you for it. There is no "Ban stick" when it comes to big business and their customers, trust me your money is still green and they know it as long as they still own you. Cutting off customers does nothing but ship you over to Sprint or AT&T. They are not in the business of delivering paying customers to their competitors even if you are hijacking $30 whopping dollars a month for a service that actually costs them $0 and you are already paying for a first time!

This is like asking "Do you really think laws and contracts are legally enforceable?"

If unsure of the answer, consult a lawyer. They might be able to clear things up.
RAZR Maxx - Two steps forward (Maxx>>>Droid1) and one step back (My bootloader! What have they done to you!?!)

#24 claps1775

claps1775

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • LocationIowa. Close to the University of Iowa.

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:55 PM

Well, if you enlisted? They mean little or nothing really. Either way you will do as ordered. But military is very different.

I have Moto Razr....I will cut you.
To powerful to fall into my hands. Click......Rooted. ICS rommed!!!!! Muhahahahah!!!!

#25 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:40 PM

This is like asking "Do you really think laws and contracts are legally enforceable?"

If unsure of the answer, consult a lawyer. They might be able to clear things up.

I am totally lost with your analogy. Lost is an understatement.

Sent from my who really cares?? Using NOBODY DOES!

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#26 Rycix

Rycix

Bouncing Ball Of Energy / Android Rescue Squad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationNew England, USA
  • Current Device(s):XT912

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:13 PM

btw you can leagally use the data on the phone for you computer if you use the usb teather and it requires not root or hack of anykind just the data cable and thats it

I noticed that in SQLite to be honest. They can turn it on any time they like. The value for usb data entitlement (something like that) is by default set to 0

yes we keep track of your data. just use wifi when ever you can. the data is tagged to your ESN number. YOUR PHONES IS CONSTANTLY SENDING OUT INFO WHEN YOUR NOT EVEN USING IT. this why verizon is able to tell how many times you really get dropped calls. cause ifyou call and say you get dropped calls all the time and what not just to get a phone...they can tell if your lying or not :/ and believe it or not. Verizon does know already if your phone already has say the ics leak on it. they can tell when the software was put on it and what not. i say this cause i have my own proof. Basically ill put it to you like this. We dont care what you do to your phone. your phone is your phone! but if your going to bring it back to us...just make sure you have the stock software on it that is spose to be on it. just a tip. but yes "big red" can track your data. every phone company does it! wifi is the only way.

Lol... bring back phone with non-stock on it...

Does anyone actually have proof of this? I can understand a few kb maybe, but not 10x the amount. Granted I haven't designed any mobile pages (but have developed web pages since 95), but what I have read about it simply says it just makes for a better look on phone with some restrictions. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

It is very notable when loading webpages. Try, for example, this site. The mobile version is WAY faster to load than the full version (to switch back to mobile version, it's at the bottom left and blends in a bit)
Droid Razr XT912, cooling down with ICS on 6.16.211

Posted Image

working to provide the best assistance to you and the entire droid razr community improve!

#27 cynnar

cynnar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:29 PM

It is very notable when loading webpages. Try, for example, this site. The mobile version is WAY faster to load than the full version (to switch back to mobile version, it's at the bottom left and blends in a bit)

While this is true, it does not mean mobile pages have less data. To me it simply means that the mobile format is doing its job to make the website easier to view on mobile phone. I'm looking for hard evidence that there is a difference.

Edit I mean I can't go on that alone as I can refresh a mobile site and sometimes it takes longer to load the second time around(and no changes to the site). If I went by your theory then that means there was more data present on the refresh than the original page.

I'm sorry I just don't buy it that desktop pages have 10x more data.
I tend to question things I disbelieve are true. Some people cannot handle that. Sorry if you are one of those people.

#28 RazrSharpJoel

RazrSharpJoel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:28 PM

A full desk top version web site has way more code than a mobile website. More code = more download

Sent from ROOTED BOOT STRAPPED RAZR SHARP RAZR MAXX searching for a theme for stock 181
  • cynnar likes this

#29 cynnar

cynnar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:41 PM

Ok last post on desktop pages vs. mobile pages. to

Getting into a deeper thought about this situation I realized that it doesn't matter what site you visit they are all different sizes when you view them. That being said I decided to try and find out the difference between

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

desktop and mobile. I found a

to test the mobile site. Results were 16.4 seconds average load time, and 378kb average pagesize. Note that it does say average I then used

to test the desktop site. Now I know that they are 2 different test sittes, but neither of them tested both sites for a good comparison, so I made do. The results for desktop were for load time it takes 11.53 seconds @ 1.44Mbps (T1), 42.36 seconds @ 128K (ISDN) and 540kb. That is just 153kb difference (So there is a difference, but not 10x difference) It takes 1024kb to make 1mb.
if you viewed 6.6 pages using desktop pages then you will accumulate 1 additional mb of data.

In conclusion if you only surf around using the desktop view that you will use more data. It is clear to see that it is not 10x the ammount. That would mean that

main page would be over 5mb to view.
I tend to question things I disbelieve are true. Some people cannot handle that. Sorry if you are one of those people.

#30 cynnar

cynnar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:54 PM

A full desk top version web site has way more code than a mobile website. More code = more download Sent from ROOTED BOOT STRAPPED RAZR SHARP RAZR MAXX searching for a theme for stock 181

Desktop doesn't necessarily have more code than mobile. (depends on the website in question.) Maybe the mobile has more options than the desktop does. So what it really comes down to is just excatly how much code is in each. Since each one is different then every site will differ in how much data it will take to view no mattter the version. That means it is pointless to say one is better than the other on data.

#31 jimgfitzgerald

jimgfitzgerald

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:05 PM

Is there a way to hide from them?

I'm just curious, with VZW killing unlimited data and with the double taxation for the wifi hotspot I'm just curious how does big red monitor how much data we use on our device and is there a way to prevent them from know how much we use or even better prevent them from knowing at all? I'm tired of getting robbed by the mobile phone companies for Internet access and am curious just how their system works and if it's exploitable? Anyone with technical knowledge can chime in, I'd love to see where this goes. It's pirate time!!! Thanks all!

Sent from my who really cares?? Using NOBODY DOES!

In other words, you want to know how to steal bandwidth from Verizon. It's people like you that those of us who are honest have to pay for.

#32 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:25 PM

Well this thread has gotten out of hand and the OPs question(s) have been answered. Closing this down.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users