6 replies to this topic

#1 ecam444

ecam444

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:01 AM

I think I may have done something backwards. I have read and read and read about rooting .209 I upgraded to .209 before doing any unstuck flash, am I screwed for rooting the device now? Or is there any way to root after one has upgraded from .181 to .209? Thanks for the help...

#2 HouseMD

HouseMD

Vicodin Addict

• Superuser
  • 294 posts
  • Twitter:DSLRVideoGuy
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:54 AM

Yes, here's how to go it: (DO NOT GIVE ME CREDIT, it's on the 206 unstuck thread)

If you want root afterwards:
- Turn on your phone and let it boot normally
- Set everything up, and then turn on USB debugging
- Turn off your phone
- Hold VOL DWN + PWR to boot into AP Fastboot mode again
- Open the UnstickICS tool on your computer again
- Install the .85 kernel
- Turn your phone off
- Hold VOL DWN + VOL UP + PWR, then use VOL DWN to navigate to BP Tools, and VOL UP to select it
- Your phone should boot normally.
- Open the Droid Razr Utility 1.6 and select Root ICS.
- Follow the onscreen directions, pressing a button when it finishes rebooting, 3x.
- Turn your phone off again.
- Hold VOL DWN + PWR to boot into AP Fastboot again
- Use UnstickICS to flash the .209 kernel again
- Reboot
You need to do this, because the 4.0.4 kernel is not vulnerable to any root exploits. Going back to a previous kernel (in this case, 4.0.3) will allow you to exploit and obtain root, and then upgrade back to 4.0.4.

Posted Image

If you feel the need to buy me a beer, or help pay my bills, here's the link:http://bit.ly/O4ZnLW

#3 ecam444

ecam444

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:30 AM

Hey thanks, much appreciated it worked, I got myself mixed up with all the threads out there!!!

#4 beartard

beartard

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:10 AM

I'm still working on it. I came from stock 181 straight to 209. The flash went perfectly. I'm having a helluva time rooting 209, even by following the instructions to the letter. On the second reboot of the three, I get a black screen, but I know the phone is working because my voicemail notification chimes. On the third reboot, it tells me I have root, but a quick check with ES File Explorer tells me I don't. Of course, using unstuck to get back to the 209 kernel works fine, but no root.

#5 HouseMD

HouseMD

Vicodin Addict

• Superuser
  • 294 posts
  • Twitter:DSLRVideoGuy
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:15 AM

I'm still working on it. I came from stock 181 straight to 209. The flash went perfectly. I'm having a helluva time rooting 209, even by following the instructions to the letter. On the second reboot of the three, I get a black screen, but I know the phone is working because my voicemail notification chimes. On the third reboot, it tells me I have root, but a quick check with ES File Explorer tells me I don't. Of course, using unstuck to get back to the 209 kernel works fine, but no root.

Try running unstuck 209 again
1. AP to the 85 IMG
2. Root using Matt's Util
3. Do a full reboot after the util
4. Make sure you have root
5. AP back to the 209 IMG
6.Should have root
7.????
8. Profit!

Posted Image

If you feel the need to buy me a beer, or help pay my bills, here's the link:http://bit.ly/O4ZnLW

#6 TweakedSystems

TweakedSystems

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:24 AM

I had to go into recovery first and wipe cache to get mine to root correctly. There is a pretty helpful youtube video that will walk you threw the steps. I don't know if I'm aloud to post think link or not.
Posted Image

#7 stkiswr

stkiswr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:29 AM

If you don't wipe cache before trying to install either the 85 kernel or 209 kernel it will just wait for device.
Yes you can do it at any time.
The unstuck tells you to make sure cache is cleaned and I forgot to and I just sat there. Son as I cleaned it it worked pefect

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users