7 replies to this topic

#1 gvin

gvin

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:10 AM

So I am new to this whole android OS. I came from Apple IOS and I could jailbreak with no problem. Now that I have a Razr Maxx and enjoy it more then I did an iPhone, I come across this new problem. 1. I have a MacBook Pro 64 Bit and have no clue how to root a Razr Maxx and reading post it seems more complicated then it was with an iPhone. 2. I would jailbreak my iPhone to get the newest IOS before it came out, but don't know where or how to get the new ICS for the maxi much less the process it take to get it rooted to install ICS. 3. When I jailbroke an iPhone I could always unjailbreak it and I am worried that if I root my Maxx and decide to unroot it and download the new ICS OS when it comes out Ill either be stuck in root, brick, or destroy my Maxx. Can anyone tell me what I am doing or point out a site that has a good run down on how to root a Maxx to ICS with a Mac with a safe unroot back to factory setting so I can [down the road] download the new ICS OS when it comes out without bricking or messing my phone up? Thanks a lot!

#2 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:38 AM

Either find a version of Motofail for Mac, or grab CASUAL for Mac and the universal Motofail package for it. If you have ADB/drivers installed, the rooting just takes a few clicks of the mouse.

#3 gvin

gvin

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:04 AM

Either find a version of Motofail for Mac, or grab CASUAL for Mac and the universal Motofail package for it. If you have ADB/drivers installed, the rooting just takes a few clicks of the mouse.

I have the motofail package, but is it possible to unroot and restore back to original? I have seen a lot of post saying yes and a lot saying no.

#4 Rycix

Rycix

Bouncing Ball Of Energy / Android Rescue Squad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationNew England, USA
  • Current Device(s):XT912

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:17 AM

I have the motofail package, but is it possible to unroot and restore back to original? I have seen a lot of post saying yes and a lot saying no.

Hmm, I think you can via Matt's Utility... Never tried it though, I always fastboot back. Really though, if you need to unroot it you should just fastboot backwards (unless you did a nandroid before you changed any root settings). I don't think you'll find it easy with a mac. You can always use virtualbox and use windows or ubuntu on that if worst comes to worst (assuming you have a copy of windows you can install)
Droid Razr XT912, cooling down with ICS on 6.16.211

Posted Image

working to provide the best assistance to you and the entire droid razr community improve!

#5 joshuaericjones

joshuaericjones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:27 AM

I used motofail, but for fastbooting or anything else I have to use windows via bootcamp. It sucks, but the virtual machines never worked right for me.

#6 superrelaxx

superrelaxx

Droid Master

• Superuser
  • 921 posts
  • Twitter:jasNwa
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:35 AM

Best bet is to find a PC or install windows thru bootcamp on your Mac. I have the dual boot and have no problems. Most of the tools and utilities are based on windows.

I had the iPhone. Very simple to jailbreak. In comparison to the Razr, the process is complicated but everything you need is within the development section

#7 gvin

gvin

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

Well I think Ill just leave the Mac for jailbreaking Apple products and use windows on Android products. Thanks for the info everyone.

#8 superrelaxx

superrelaxx

Droid Master

• Superuser
  • 921 posts
  • Twitter:jasNwa
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:38 PM

Well I think Ill just leave the Mac for jailbreaking Apple products and use windows on Android products. Thanks for the info everyone.

Wise choice. I tried using the Mac version of Matt's utility but couldn't get it to work.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mac, Linux, Mac Rooting, Linux Rooting

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users